Is Cam Ward the best QB we’ve had since Dorsey? Lance Roffers breaks down the film and numbers

View as article
I think he's the best overall QB we've had since Dorsey.

If Mario/Mirabal are still ****-bent on running up the middle on obvious run plays into stacked boxes, then the offense isn't going to look much better. It wont equate to a more potent team.

If Dawson is going to incorporate the Tightends properly, and we use modern misdirection in our run scheme, then this offense could make a legitimate jump.

You cant bring in a game-changing weapon like Ward, and use him to hand off to Parrish in a 2 tightend set on 2nd and 9.
We ruin Ward and what QB worth a crap will give us a second look?

Advertisement
@Lance Roffers is there any defense that you've seen that Cam struggles against or would you say he's pretty balanced overall and anywhere for improvement is probably based on items he can fix (ie. fumbles, holding the ball too long, etc.)?

@Lance Roffers is there any defense that you've seen that Cam struggles against or would you say he's pretty balanced overall and anywhere for improvement is probably based on items he can fix (ie. fumbles, holding the ball too long, etc.)?
It's always a cat-and-mouse game. The offense is running something that's working against certain looks and the defense will attempt to change the picture or how they defend it. You saw that several times with this particular game where Washington changed what they do to defend the WSU route combinations and personnel packages.

They got Cam once on a robber defense where the defender did something different than expected and it would've been a pick if the DT didn't tip the pass.

To my eyes, where Cam struggles the most is on intermediate routes. As much as he sees the picture changing in the quick-game, he did show some hesitancy and some need to "see it" on in-breaking intermediate routes etc. If you're a Dolphins guy, think of how Tua is a magician on anticipation for that in-cut at 17 yards etc. and that's what Ward really struggled with in the games I watched him.

Turnovers is an obvious answer for what he has to improve upon. Staying on schedule in the offense is very important and Ward too often goes big game hunting when a 6-yard check down on 1st down is going to keep the offense on schedule and in successful situations. Ward wants that explosive play on every down and it gets him into trouble both from an interception and a fumble standpoint (late in the down is where you see a lot of fumbles from hits they don't see coming). He also has small hands and doesn't carry it in a fundamental way in the pocket.

The two-hand rip through while in the pocket is a technique that Ward needs to be spending hours perfecting. He likes to one-hand over the top of the defenders helmet in the pocket and that's a recipe for fumbles. If you hold with two hands in the pocket and "rip" through at the waist and turn your shoulders, it protects the ball and makes you a small target to hit.

Taking off and running after your first two post-snap reads are not there (generally that's three reads since you have a pre-snap read in any Air Raid offense). He could hit his check-down more often as well.

He's a true gunslinger at QB with all of the great and not-so-great that comes with it.

Advertisement
If you go back and watch the games that came down to the wire or even the fiesta bowl loss, there was a distinct game plan that all our opponents used. It wasn’t to let the running game go and focus on stopping the pass.
Maybe I am just being nostalgic on Dorsey, but that dude had some stones to my memory.

Maybe I am just being nostalgic on Dorsey, but that dude had some stones to my memory.
Stones weren’t his problem. He was tough as **** for a scrawny dude and never played scared. His physical limitations were the issue. Everyone knew there were throws he couldn’t make so you could technically game plan around that. You would still need a top notch front seven though or those Miami teams would just run all over you. Virginia Tech in 2001 had the game plan. Their quarterback just sucked and they turned it over 5 times. The Boston College game was similar. The wind made throwing a real chore for Dorsey that day and the defense could overplay the run.

It’s nostalgic to say Dorsey but this kid is significantly more talented than Dorsey

With Ward, it's all about his fumbles and sacks. If he is able to use good judgment on when to step into the pocket, take the check down, throw the ball out of bounds, or keep for a short gain, we're going to win a lot of games. Kid definitely has the requisite talent.

It's always a cat-and-mouse game. The offense is running something that's working against certain looks and the defense will attempt to change the picture or how they defend it. You saw that several times with this particular game where Washington changed what they do to defend the WSU route combinations and personnel packages.

They got Cam once on a robber defense where the defender did something different than expected and it would've been a pick if the DT didn't tip the pass.

To my eyes, where Cam struggles the most is on intermediate routes. As much as he sees the picture changing in the quick-game, he did show some hesitancy and some need to "see it" on in-breaking intermediate routes etc. If you're a Dolphins guy, think of how Tua is a magician on anticipation for that in-cut at 17 yards etc. and that's what Ward really struggled with in the games I watched him.

Turnovers is an obvious answer for what he has to improve upon. Staying on schedule in the offense is very important and Ward too often goes big game hunting when a 6-yard check down on 1st down is going to keep the offense on schedule and in successful situations. Ward wants that explosive play on every down and it gets him into trouble both from an interception and a fumble standpoint (late in the down is where you see a lot of fumbles from hits they don't see coming). He also has small hands and doesn't carry it in a fundamental way in the pocket.

The two-hand rip through while in the pocket is a technique that Ward needs to be spending hours perfecting. He likes to one-hand over the top of the defenders helmet in the pocket and that's a recipe for fumbles. If you hold with two hands in the pocket and "rip" through at the waist and turn your shoulders, it protects the ball and makes you a small target to hit.

Taking off and running after your first two post-snap reads are not there (generally that's three reads since you have a pre-snap read in any Air Raid offense). He could hit his check-down more often as well.

He's a true gunslinger at QB with all of the great and not-so-great that comes with it.
Awesome insight here. Thank you for the very detailed answer, and I definitely understand it. I'm a fan of the Dolphins as well, so that Tua reference definitely put it into perspective lol Definitely think our run game and OL will help him as long as we are healthy again there like last year. With it being his absolute final year as well, I think we see the turnovers go down and a slight decrease in the hero ball to preserve himself... But also it's who he is so you still want him to be him obviously. Thank you again!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back