Is Cam Ward the best QB we’ve had since Dorsey? Lance Roffers breaks down the film and numbers

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

Nobody in the Canes community dives deeper into the film and advanced metrics than data scientist @Lance Roffers. He already wrote an in-depth article on Cam Ward for his “Upon Further Review” series, available here. On Tuesday, he joined the CanesInSight Podcast to discuss MIami’s star transfer QB, Cam Ward. Some of Lance’s quotes from the podcast are below:

His overall takeaway after reviewing Ward’s film and advanced stats: “I went in with a cluster of...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
If we fail with this kid at QB then just pack it up
Pop Tv Suitcase GIF by Schitt's Creek

Advertisement
I think he's the best overall QB we've had since Dorsey.

If Mario/Mirabal are still ****-bent on running up the middle on obvious run plays into stacked boxes, then the offense isn't going to look much better. It wont equate to a more potent team.

If Dawson is going to incorporate the Tightends properly, and we use modern misdirection in our run scheme, then this offense could make a legitimate jump.

You cant bring in a game-changing weapon like Ward, and use him to hand off to Parrish in a 2 tightend set on 2nd and 9.

If Mario/Mirabal are still ****-bent on running up the middle on obvious run plays into stacked boxes, then the offense isn't going to look much better. It wont equate to a more potent team.

If Dawson is going to incorporate the Tightends properly, and we use modern misdirection in our run scheme, then this offense could make a legitimate jump.

You cant bring in a game-changing weapon like Ward, and use him to hand off to Parrish in a 2 tightend set on 2nd and 9.

Also for optics going forward….if Ward tanks with the offense it’s going to look less attractive to recruits and transfers. Conversely, it could skyrocket our QB perception of he excels.

100% Hoping and praying Mario lets Dawson run a full air raid because Ward will cook. That’s the only way this doesn’t fire on all cylinders this year.
Did you watch Dawson previous to his time here? Did you watch much of Dana holgerson (the tree he comes from)?
He doesn't run a full air raid. Never has. He runs an offense with air raid principles. Well be just fine not everything reported is always accurate.

Advertisement
Hopefully a running(ish) qb and the full use of TE's will give defenses more to think about. Please bring unpredictability back into the offense.

Did you watch Dawson previous to his time here? Did you watch much of Dana holgerson (the tree he comes from)?
He doesn't run a full air raid. Never has. He runs an offense with air raid principles. Well be just fine not everything reported is always accurate.
Drives me crazy when guys talk about “air” raid as if it means throwing the ball the majority of the time. The only coach to throw it most of the time was the late Mike Leach. Additionally, there’s been many changes to the original air raid created by Mumme.

Advertisement

Shiiiii Mario, Mirabal, and @Empirical Cane are going to show you

prepareyouranus GIF by FirstAndMonday

Advertisement
Yes, which is part of the reason I preferred Howard over Ward given the fit. Wards unquestionably the more talented player let me say that.

But Ward ran full Air Raid at Washington state and excelled. Based on when he had to hold onto the ball it led to back peddling… he seems most comfortable in air raid when he’s slinging it quickly. Dawson seems more flexible and schemes around what his guys are most comfortable doing. Saw that all of last year…especially the last 2 regular season games. And Mario has his identity and philosophy which I tend to agree with…can’t win just winning air raid concepts and slinging it around. But Mario seems less flexible and is quick to revert back to his comfort zone when things go sideways. Ironically I think the Mario style of offense (and it’s not bro ball) is coming back in a big way. NFL is already doing it and Michigan did a beefed up version of it. Obviously last year, we talked about why the scheme changes happened (injuries, turnovers, depth of defense)

Last edited:
Drives me crazy when guys talk about “air” raid as if it means throwing the ball the majority of the time. The only coach to throw it most of the time was the late Mike Leach. Additionally, there’s been many changes to the original air raid created by Mumme.
Wasn’t what I was insinuating. I was speaking to the principles of the air raid. Quick passes, 10 personnel, stretch the field horizontally, no huddle with upbeat tempo, ability to call plays / audibles at the LOS. I want us at 30-38 pass attempts per game, have to be balanced

I don’t want to be back here in October with us living in 12 personnel, running 5 step drops using poor tempo like we did at parts last year out of necessity. Obviously that is going to be needed at times, but I hope we let Ward do what he has demonstrated he excels in.

Last edited:
Wasn’t what I was insinuating. I was speaking to the principles of the air raid. Quick passes, 10 personnel, stretch the field horizontally, no huddle with upbeat tempo, ability to call plays / audibles at the LOS. I want us at 30-38 pass attempts per game, have to be balanced

I don’t want to be back here in October with us living in 12 personnel, running 5 step drops using poor tempo like we did at parts last year out of necessity. Obviously that is going to be needed at times, but I hope we let Ward do what he has demonstrated he excels in.
Wasn’t necessarily aimed at you but we see it many times where, because of the name itself, air raid is mistaken for throwing the ball all over the field and that’s just not the case.

Advertisement
Back