Interview with Rob Likens

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Good stuff here. Likens really emphasizes the importance of simplifying the playbook. He believes that, because coaching time is limited, more time should be allocated to teaching the details of the position than teaching plays.

He also makes a point that I agree with totally: quickness is the most important trait for a receiver outside of catching ability. If you look at the NFL, there are big guys, small guys, fast guys and slow guys who catch a lot of passes. But they are all quick. This is why punt returners are often great receivers and excel against press coverage.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Lets hope this new scheme and coaches are the recipe needed. I am feeling really optimistic about the change for the program.

It was clear as day that Enos was a terrible fit.

Good stuff here. Likens really emphasizes the importance of simplifying the playbook. He believes that, because coaching time is limited, more time should be allocated to teaching the details of the position than teaching plays.

He also makes a point that I agree with totally: quickness is the most important trait for a receiver outside of catching ability. If you look at the NFL, there are big guys, small guys, fast guys and slow guys who catch a lot of passes. But they are all quick. This is why punt returners are often great receivers and excel against press coverage.

This is something that has been talked about for yearsssss here when pro style bros just wouldnt get it. Its a philosophy fundamental/foundational belief to spread but air raid guys really emphasis it. You will have interviews from 10-15 years ago of guys saying they can do their base install in one practice! What makes it even crazier is the efficiency and how much points they were able to produce with lesser players.

So easier to install, easier for players to learn, fun to play in, easier to execute and play fast, **** on DCs and defensive players, lesser talent can still get higher production and put more points on the board and still guys knocked it while banging their head trying to get qbs to make nfl reads and needing nfl players at every position to execute and still not get these results.

I am almost positive Lashlee and Likens looked at UM record books and laughed at it like MJ looking at Ipad meme.. Was a fight for the ages and we were last team to bandwagon (mind you guys like Saban and LSU who were able to stockpile NFL talent saw light even with highend success they achieved more recently that us)

Better late than never, its a good day. Excited to see this finally at miami

Advertisement
Appreciate the honesty from him (was coaching 14 guys for the first time in Spring, so couldn't tell you about King / wouldn't fall into the "SoFl athletes, best athletes" trap without actually seeing / recruiting them for a year) - it was refreshing.

He's right about WRs too - you have to have quickness.

That's going to play well with recruits.

I harp on about him a lot, but he's probably my favourite player - Steve Smith fits this mould to a tee. Dropped to the third round because many teams saw him as a bit of a problem player and limited to K/PR and slot. Dude excelled in the NFL because you simply could not play press coverage against him (his first step / move was so quick) and if you played off he ate you up underneath

Me likens.
tenor.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back