Interesting

It’s very obvious the injuries affected Tyler. I’m not talking about Georgia tech or North Carolina. He forced some passes in those games but that was just him being risky. The UVA game and beyond was another story. He went from a guy who threw for 400 yards and 4 Touchdowns against UNC to a guy who could not complete simple throws against UVA and NC State. The last two weeks he’s looked more like the guy we know. Maybe even better since he’s not taking stupid chances.

Regardless of what happens, they still need a portal QB. It’s pretty obvious they have nothing else besides TVD in the QB room right now since they kept throwing him out there every week even at 50%. When a crippled version of your starter is still better than the backup. You need a new backup.

Advertisement
I think TVD is an good QB. His biggest problem has and likely will continue to be consistency. I thought he would have had a great year here - and we saw glimpses of that. Unfortunately he got injured, and never seemed to improve mentally. I don't see how we can bring him back and rock with him another year. Regardless what you want to blame it on specifically - injury, mental, yips, all the above - the problem on the offense this year was QB by a large margin. I'd say TE would be next, and then maybe lack of explosive RB. I think it's entirely possible TVD moves on and has a good year. He has that ability. He also has the ability to put up a 6% INT rate in a 5 game stretch again like he did here that ****ed us.

Qb is the most important decision Mario will be making here. Choosing to Stick with TVD for another season after the career he has had would be more risk than taking a portal guy that you're confident will at least be above average to good imo. Sure TVD could be better than that guy for us, but his lows are also likely to be worse and directly result in more losses. I obviously want a guy who can make great throws and will make big plays, but when they aren't making those big plays at a significantly higher rate than their negative plays, it's just not worth it. And obviously just getting a portal guy who is a relatively safe bet to be good wouldn't be something that would get us a national Championship, but 10 wins? yeah.

Personally I think we need to try to get 2 portal guys AND CJ Bailey to add to this class. We just need bodies period. Swing for the top 3 portal QBs, and also go for a portal guy with 2 years who you can convince it's an open competition this year but that next year it'll be open again..

Didn’t Dart just announce he was coming back? Bet sanders regrets that now
ASU brought in Drew Pyne to challenge Rashada and Bourget
- Bama brought in Buchner to challenge Milroe and Simpson
- Oklahoma St brought in Alec Bowman to challenge Gundy's son and Rangel
- Brohm took Brady Allen from Purdue to challenge Jack Plummer
- Auburn brought in Payton Thorne to challenge Ashford and others
- TCU took Chance Nolan from Oregon St to give Chandler Morris some healthy competition
- Missouri took in Jake Garcia to battle Cook and Horn.

Advertisement
I bet you can but I can go look at Joe Moorehead, Marcus Arroyo, Josh Gattis and Dawson's offenses without Mario and they don't look that much different from when Mario was their boss. I'm arguing Mario isn't meddling and holding poor Shannon Dawson back.
agree with this. it's one thing for mario/mirabel/harris to help out designing the running game - our running game wasn't the problem this year - something else for mario to be meddling in individual playcalls. haven't seen any evidencec the latter was happening this year.

like take all those heavy run sets we ran and the sets with the WR coming in motion to block, i don't find it credible that mario was like, "no, shannon, you can't call a play-action pass out of those sets - ever. you must run the ball every single time out of those sets."

but mario hired the guy and is responsible if dawson isn't good enough to work within the parameters of the offense mario wants

I ithink we are an 8-4 team at best with TVD at QB. He will always struggle against teams that play zone. TVD was not more hurt against GTech than he was against TAMU. But that is where the trouble began and it was because of the type of defense. I just do not think that will change next year. And I don’t think the amount of competition or NIL money or anything else will make a difference. TVD is a good, but limited, QB.

Seems he only meddles in games that the qb gives the ball away like old people handing out samples at Costco. The games that doesn’t happen apparently aren’t the Mario meddle games weird how he picks and chooses the games to meddle in.
It’s not games. He’s not picking and choosing certain times to make sure his preferred style is run. This is something that is guaranteed brought up on the very first interview with a potential candidate and any coach who says “well I want to run the ball but not at the expense of my offensive system” doesn’t get a second interview. What some people don’t understand is that we’re getting THIS type of offense whether it’s Shannon Dawson, Ken Dorsey, or any other coach. Anyone who doesn’t conform to “Tuff and fizical” will not get a job here. Get used to it and get used to hoping a coordinator change will change anything.

Advertisement
Bring 'em back
angry girls GIF by South Park

Thanks for the last two games but it’s time to move on. There is enough evidence to show TVD can’t stay healthy and he doesn’t have the IT factor. The whole offense has been tailored to TVD to be re tailored during the season while having a clean pocket all year. He is good but not good enough for Miami situation.

Miami has an open competition at quarterback if TVD leaves. An experienced transfer can look with confidence at an opportunity to start. His competition is a redshirt freshman two starts, a redshirt sophomore with one start and zero playing time this season, and a true freshman or two. Experience will give this incoming quarterback a leg up in many ways.

I don’t think the perception will be at an open competition for the starting position if TVD stays. Only an open competition for QB2.

Which is fine and Miami should absolutely hit the portal to get some experience in the room, but the quality of portal transfer will drop unless there is an opportunity to start.

In the end, it doesn’t matter what anyone on this board thinks. What matters is what potential transferring players think.

JMO. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Advertisement
ASU brought in Drew Pyne to challenge Rashada and Bourget
- Bama brought in Buchner to challenge Milroe and Simpson
- Oklahoma St brought in Alec Bowman to challenge Gundy's son and Rangel
- Brohm took Brady Allen from Purdue to challenge Jack Plummer
- Auburn brought in Payton Thorne to challenge Ashford and others
- TCU took Chance Nolan from Oregon St to give Chandler Morris some healthy competition
- Missouri took in Jake Garcia to battle Cook and Horn.
To be fair, other than Brady Cook none of those really had fully established starters. Sanders is more the really weird exception than the rule imo

I ithink we are an 8-4 team at best with TVD at QB. He will always struggle against teams that play zone. TVD was not more hurt against GTech than he was against TAMU. But that is where the trouble began and it was because of the type of defense. I just do not think that will change next year. And I don’t think the amount of competition or NIL money or anything else will make a difference. TVD is a good, but limited, QB.
You don’t think Louisville and Boston College played any zone the last two weeks? You can’t believe that their coaches watched Miami film and said “**** this kid is struggling against zone coverage but **** it, we’re just going to ignore that and play man all game”? Louisville and BC both threw plenty of zone at him today but he just made smarter decisions. Dawson also made adjustments to make it easier and give more options for check down throws. Notice how many tight end targets there were today?

You don’t think Louisville and Boston College played any zone the last two weeks? You can’t believe that their coaches watched Miami film and said “**** this kid is struggling against zone coverage but **** it, we’re just going to ignore that and play man all game”? Louisville and BC both threw plenty of zone at him today but he just made smarter decisions. Dawson also made adjustments to make it easier and give more options for check down throws. Notice how many tight end targets there were today?
I saw a ton of man to man, at least in the first half from BC.

Advertisement
To be fair, other than Brady Cook none of those really had fully established starters. Sanders is more the really weird exception than the rule imo
I’m taking backups that could challenge. It can be done , that’s the point for all those defending Mario couldn’t have brought in a backup. Well read that and then make excuses

Right on. We just played a BC defense with no pass rush. Once we play good teams with a pass rush and zone, he will go back to keying in on 1 guy, not going through progressions, missing open receivers and we will be screaming bloody murder.

He is a decent QB who shows flashes of excellence. Not the other way around. Waiting another year for those flashes to be the consistent norm is fools gold.

I wish him well, but prefer it be somewhere else next year.

Sadly though, doesnt matter who we bring in to replace him if Mario and co arent willing to change some things.

I’m taking backups that could challenge. It can be done , that’s the point for all those defending Mario couldn’t have brought in a backup. Well read that and then make excuses
once garcia left it was criminal not to bring in a transfer QB - we needed another QB on the roster who had thrown some passes in college since jacurri was 100% redshirting

Advertisement
Back