Interesting video on the feast or famine UM attack vs L'Ville...

If your feast to famine ratio is high, you'll put up more than enough points to win.

Advertisement
I like Pate a lot and think he's one of the best analysts on the 247 site, but this is a really poor take. Hedley punted 3 times out of the 12 possessions we had on Saturday. That's a 75% success rate when it comes to putting points on the board, not to mention all three punts were in the first half. I get that we had quite a few chunk plays that probably skewed our stat line but isn't that kind of the point of an explosive offense?

He is right.

A Typical feast or famine team is usually a one trick pony. Maybe two tricks.

We can beat people in so many ways. And the scary part for the rest of the ACC is we know we can play better at certain positions. Especially WR.

I like Pate a lot and think he's one of the best analysts on the 247 site, but this is a really poor take. Hedley punted 3 times out of the 12 possessions we had on Saturday. That's a 75% success rate when it comes to putting points on the board, not to mention all three punts were in the first half. I get that we had quite a few chunk plays that probably skewed our stat line but isn't that kind of the point of an explosive offense?
I don't think he was saying that he thought it was feast or famine, just commenting on people that think it was feast or famine. He mentioned that that line of thinking is flawed because you can't just discount big plays, because that's how football is won much of the time. He also pointed out that our offense is so versatile, it's a departure from typical feast or famine offenses that are generally only good at one thing

Told people before the season, scaife is more suited as a tackle due to his skill set and pass blocking acumen. Run blocking especially as an interior guy now isn’t necessarily his strong suit

Really wish Reed or Rivers could step up at a Guard spot and add some power. I really though Reed was going to be an elite guard. What a shame some his size and strength can’t crack the rotation.

Advertisement
Postitives are the the QB and OC can read weaknesses in the D and exploit them.

Downside is if the D doesn't provide those. FSU is a better D, and we'll have a better read on the offense after saturday

Advertisement
Cause what he said is the truth. The offense needs to get better at substaning drives

We had twelve offensive possessions prior to running out the clock and scored on nine, including five touchdowns.

Wtf are you talking about.

This "feast or famine" line is kinda weird, and definitely not the first time I've heard it.

It looked pretty clear to me that Lashlee was feeling out the defense and setting up these big plays. From what I see, it worked astonishingly well.

Feast or famine is a little more like what the 2019 Miami offense looked like. Lighting it up against FSU and Louisville and then laying eggs against FIU and La Tech.
And according to Brevin in the postgame interview, at least one of those was a designed play for Louisville they thought would work. That’s what a good offensive coordinator does. If your team can design a play that will gash the defense then you’re in good hands.

This idea of taking big plays away to measure the success of the offense is just absurd. What other sport does this?

If you take away all those 3's, Steph Curry isn't very good
If you take away all those HRs, Barry Bonds was pretty average
If you take away all those power-play goals, Ovechkin is just "okay"

This is an asinine argument and attempts to undermine success.

Told people before the season, scaife is more suited as a tackle due to his skill set and pass blocking acumen. Run blocking especially as an interior guy now isn’t necessarily his strong suit
Agree on this but unfortunately this is our best combination. Either way it should be good enough to be effective in the ACC.

We lack people movers on the interior to be able to compete with the big dogs. If Navaughn can ever get himself in shape and Rivers can progress then we may have a formidable guard combination next season. Scaife kicks out to RT and Campbell is set at LT.

Advertisement
The difference (hopefully) is that this team is testing the other team then exploiting weaknesses. The last few years, we found a thing that worked and rode it until somebody figured it out, then just kept doing it until the season was over. What I think I'm seeing is an OC who sees what's happening and tries to counter it.
The saddest part was they couldn't find a way to counter off teams selling out to stop what they were good at. I agree, it's so nice to see an OC take advantage of what the defense is trying to do. He's manipulating them into doing what he wants them to do. Lash- 'oh you figured out what I'm doing? I've got a plan for that also.'

The whole "we have too many explosive plays and not enough sustained drives" movement on this board is some of the weirdest mopery I've ever seen. Suddenly some porsters want Navy's offense. It's just bizarre.

Advertisement
Really wish Reed or Rivers could step up at a Guard spot and add some power. I really though Reed was going to be an elite guard. What a shame some his size and strength can’t crack the rotation.
They are grooming Reed to be our next center and he’s doing well

The whole "we have too many explosive plays and not enough sustained drives" movement on this board is some of the weirdest mopery I've ever seen. Suddenly some porsters want Navy's offense. It's just bizarre.
The general idea is not that bizarre. The old Oklahoma teams just demoralized their opponent by getting 7 yards a carry, every carry. There's something about enforcing your will on the other team - when they know what's coming, and can't stop it anyway.

But, I''ll takes wins however they come.

Since we're taking away plays, how about adding some. How would the score look with Mallory's 75 yard reception, Harley's dropped touchdown, and Pope's brain fart?

I could be wrong but I think we scored later on the drive where Mallory's reception got called back. But the others are good points. I thought we left at least 10-14 pts on the field if not more

Advertisement
Back