Interesting take from A&M writer

Advertisement
The analysis of their DL is on point. It's big. It's powerful. Some really talented players on it. It's not exactly a complementary unit. Prior to the game, I thought we'd be ok in pass pro. We were. After the game, I'll continue to say I think we'll face more challenges from teams with better upfield players. Hopefully, we can run the ball against those teams, though.
Best way to counter an up-field defensive attack is run it up the gut or at least in the open gaps created by over aggressive DLine.

The...Gaytors...suck...

Their players suck...their coaches suck...

The fact that you think that the Gaytors have a "championship roster" ("because blue chip ratio says so") with that collection of ****heads tells me everything I need to know about you.

Here are all of the Gaytor blue-chippers. This list is "composite" rankings, and the players are arranged from "best to worst" in each year.

Maybe you can figure out why this is NOT a "championship roster" (at least not yet)...

[BGCOLOR=initial]2022 TRANSFER Jalen Kimber - starter[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2022 TRANSFER Jack Miller III - TERRIBLE AND INJURED[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 [BGCOLOR=initial]TRANSFER R.J. Moten - second string[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 TRANSFER Teradja Mitchell - second-string[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 [/BGCOLOR][BGCOLOR=initial]TRANSFER Graham Mertz - TERRIBLE STARTER[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2019 Keon Zipperer - injured[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2019 Jaelin Humphries - not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2019 Jaydon Hill - starter[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2020 Derek Wingo - second-string[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2020 Ja'Quavion Fraziars - second string[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2020 Ethan Pouncey - not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2020 Princely Umanmielen - starter[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]

2021 Jason Marshall Jr. - starter, has not looked good this year
2021 Jeremiah "Scooby" Williams - starter
2021 Tyreak Sapp - starter

2021 Marcus Burke - second string
[BGCOLOR=initial]2021 Justus Boone - not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2021 Gage Wilcox - not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2021 Desmond Watson - second string, can barely breathe during games[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2021 Jadarrius Perkins - second string[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]2022 Kamari Wilson - second-string behind a non-blue-chip[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2022 Shemar James - starter[/BGCOLOR]
2022 Chris McClellan - second-string
2022 Trevor Etienne - second-string
2022 Devin Moore - second string
[BGCOLOR=initial]2022 Tony Livingston - starter[/BGCOLOR]
2022 Jamari Lyons - third string

2023 Kelby Collins - freshman third-stringer
2023 Ja'Keem Jackson - freshman second-stringer
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Aidan Mizell - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Eugene Wilson III - freshman second-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Roderick Kearney - freshman not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Dijon Johnson - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Kamran James - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Will Norman - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Jordan Castell - freshman starter[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Sharif Denson - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 T.J. Searcy - freshman second-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Gavin Hill - freshman not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Aaron Gates - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Treyaun Webb - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Caden Jones - freshman not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Andy Jean - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Bryce Thornton - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
2023 Jaden Robinson - freshman third-stringer

And @flagator86 can check my mathz...
Of that list too, I believe gage Wilcox medically retired or something, jadarrius perkins just entered the portal, amd Justus boone is out for the year

Of that list too, I believe gage Wilcox medically retired or something, jadarrius perkins just entered the portal, amd Justus boone is out for the year

Appreciated. I went off of the Game 1 depth chart (Utah) and did not check the McNeese depth chart.

Advertisement
So you're telling me they could have used 5 star Donell on the edge? Seems like the writing staff has taken on the loser mentality from the head coach...

The reason they start 3* star corners is because Jimbo couldn't contain kids like 5 star Denver Harris (starting for LSU this week) from driving recklessly. They also had Bouie and Groves-Killebrew who were 4 stars transfer out. Not to mention they brought in three 4 star transfers in DeBarry (abused all game), Grimes, and the FSU kid McCall (former 5 star), they just happen to suck.

This is a championship level roster and team we have. As long as TVD and the safety's stay healthy
It's an acc championship level roster because we stack up with basically everyone in conference when it relates to 22 men. Where we start to fall off is when injuries or depth set in. Y'all gotta be realistic about where we're at. In another two years this is an entirely different conversation. If we either can get Tyler to come back one more year(not likely)or get in a QB ready to start at a high level next season than possibly we can enter into that national conversation one year sooner. Just comes down to depth for right now.

Advertisement
This is the kind of post that then results in people having meltdowns when their expectations aren’t met.

We are still looking at a 9-3 team, more or less. Preseason I had us at 8–4, I’m leaning more towards 9–3, since we’ve beaten Texas A&M. But we are super ******* thin in terms of 2-3 deep talent. A lot of good starters, but the injury bug can put a BIG knife in our back.

Get a hold of yourself saying this is a “championship roster“. That’s about as delusional as you can get.
Doesn’t take much for some Canes fans to get out over their skies. Here’s the thing,.. it’s ***king Baby Steps. Crawl, Walk, Run the *** over their asses. Guess where we are?

Advertisement
This is a championship level roster and team we have. As long as TVD and the safety's stay healthy

Please stop. This is just like the people who thought we were only going to win 6 games this year.

The ceiling of this team is a NY6 Bowl game, which considering we went 5-7 last year is an amazing improvement.

I'm just happy this team doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out like last year.

Last edited:

"Perception: A&M is a top five team in talent.
Reality: A&M may have recruited well per recruiting rankings....However, A&M has recruited some player types and positions extremely well and others not so well. For all of the talk about how many five stars they’ve got in the defensive line, they tend to be 3/5 techs who can play one position really well. They start three stars at corner and two of them in the offensive line with a four star tackle who was rated as an interior lineman coming out of high school.
It's not across the board."

Although we don't have as many 5 stars our talent is spread out fairly well across the position groups, When you look across the position groups, we're basically playing 4 stars across the board with a few 5 stars and an occasional 3 star that Mario identified- Cooper. Then we added high level transfers that have proven themselves at the college level- Cohen, Lee, Dean, Mauigoa, Davis, Young, McCormick, Allen etc.

Even the groups we love to cry about having a lack of talent- WR, DT and Corner are littered with 4 stars.

In a million years aTm never thought they were gonna lose that game to Miami. Loaded with talent, bounce-back year, Petrino running the offense—they thought they'd roll in Miami and be back this year and now they're just shell-shocked and reeling.

Advertisement
Back