Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

I'm not a big Mario fan - I think there are far more talented HCs out there - but most of you think he'd be great and evidently certain BOTs have such a hardon for him that they'll pay his buyout themselves.

**** it, why not. He's much, much better than what we've got.
It is a start to bigger and better things. We will run Mario out after 3-4 years just like all the others if we are not NC in 3-4 years.

Advertisement
Some of the smartest coaches out there make decisions off emotions and not their brains. (I.E, Jimmy going to the Dolphins, Urban going to the Jags, Bill Parcells going to the Cowboys, etc)

That doesnt have anything to do with being smart. Emotions is apart of the deal when it comes to coaching. You guys are giving coaches, especially Mario, way to much credit. If Mario smart, he wouldnt have gone to Oregon in the first place. Cant win a title there.

As an assistant Oregon was the right career move at the time. He had no idea the HC job was going to fall into his lap.

Some of the smartest coaches out there make decisions off emotions and not their brains. (I.E, Jimmy going to the Dolphins, Urban going to the Jags, Bill Parcells going to the Cowboys, etc)

That doesnt have anything to do with being smart. Emotions is apart of the deal when it comes to coaching. You guys are giving coaches, especially Mario, way to much credit. If Mario smart, he wouldnt have gone to Oregon in the first place. Cant win a title there.

Those examples.

Holy shlt!

You are literally using coaching examples based on emotion that argue against Mario coming to Miami.

It’s just using logic.
It is illogical to say he wouldn't listen. And at that point it's about what he values most. Family, money, winning, loyalty. And the people that know him are saying they dont know what he would do. Ironic you think it's an easy decision.

Would you move across country for more money? I wouldn't. If you did would you go back home for the same money/opportunity? Your answers determine your values. But doesnt mean others view it the same. This goes for me also, meaning I see a scenario where Mario chooses Oregon. But Miami has a real shot.

Are you really blaming Mario for leaving a program led by Al Golden and Blake James to work for Bama and Nick Saban for more money?

What part of my post indicates any of that?

I’m literally saying the opposite

Advertisement
It is illogical to say he wouldn't listen. And at that point it's about what he values most. Family, money, winning, loyalty. And the people that know him are saying they dont know what he would do. Ironic you think it's an easy decision.

Would you move across country for more money? I wouldn't. If you did would you go back home for the same money/opportunity? Your answers determine your values. But doesnt mean others view it the same. This goes for me also, meaning I see a scenario where Mario chooses Oregon. But Miami has a real shot.

Did I say he wouldn’t listen? At the very least he will, out of respect for his alma mater. And then he’ll make a logical decision based on what’s best for his career. If you think you’ll make a totally illogical decision based on emotion, then so be it.

I mean the guy that took over is getting paid way more is 4-3 with 3 awful losses
Exactly - I think Mario is probably the safer hire, but Herman would be a swing for the fences hire.

However, I've been wrong before when it comes to coaches.

Those examples.

Holy shlt!

You are literally using coaching examples based on emotion that argue against Mario coming to Miami.
But this isn't a decision for Mario bereft of emotion, where he can view this strictly in a rational manner. Emotion is a part of the equation. It's Miami. It's not like he's choosing between two schools that he has no emotional connection to whatsoever.

Oregon is the girl with a good job, good family, and some family money.

Miami is that girl that's a little off, the family is kinda crazy, and she has no means whatsoever. But there's just something about her.

Exactly - I think Mario is probably the safer hire, but Herman would be a swing for the fences hire.

However, I've been wrong before when it comes to coaches.

So has pretty much everyone else here when their hot coach of the minute loses the following Saturday

Advertisement
Those examples.

Holy shlt!

Hmmmmm..Almost..but nice try. None of those coaches had any emotional ties to those teams whatsoever. It was crazy for them to go to those teams..HOWEVER, UM is in Marios blood. He was in "The U" doc for christs sake while being the HC for another team. Its been already said by people in the know that UM is one of the schools he would leave Oregon for. (Along with Bama) So that tell you right there emotionally he is still tied to this university.

There are definitely people that would take Mario in a heartbeat, I just question whether he even wants the job.

Being totally objective, I have to question the attractiveness of this job versus remaining at Oregon, with all the financial support and logistical support you could ever want.

Ask yourself, where does Mario have the greatest shot for success, based on fundamental structural, logistical, and general program support.

I know you already know this, but if people haven’t realized it, success is, in most cases, directly correlated to funding. Bottom line. All things being equal… Of course coaching ability is paramount, but removing that as a factor, funding is the bottom line. Equal coaches, one with support, one without support, the one with support will consistently win more.

The only way we have a shot at Mario is if it becomes toxic for him in Oregon.

That’s the only way this job becomes even slightly more attractive.
The path to a championship is much easier at Miami.

But this isn't a decision for Mario bereft of emotion, where he can view this strictly in a rational manner. Emotion is a part of the equation. It's Miami. It's not like he's choosing between two schools that he has no emotional connection to whatsoever.

Oregon is the girl with a good job, good family, and some family money.

Miami is that girl that's a little off, the family is kinda crazy, and she has no means whatsoever. But there's just something about her.

Do you know what happens when you marry that girl. You end up getting divorced, and it’s going to be a nasty divorce.

I’m not saying that to put down the University of Miami, I bleed orange and green, but I think that might be his thought process if he follows your line of thinking.

Again, extricate yourself from the jaws of groupthink delusion. Think of this rationally.

Advertisement
I met Mario at Shula's Gym the day prior to the UM-FIU brawl and I'll never forget what he told me: "I love the U. Cut me open and I'm orange and green." That sticks with you. I don't give a crap the money or the resources he has at OU. The man will never have the emotional connection he has here. Ever. Now, will he play Miami for more money? Sure. But there's not a doubt in my mind he listens intently to what UM or any rep has to say.
Let's hope these heathens don't mess it up for us.

Tell him the transfer portal giveth and then wink a few times in the negotiations.

Do you know what happens when you marry that girl. You end up getting divorced, and it’s going to be a nasty divorce.

I’m not saying that to put down the University of Miami, I bleed orange and green, but I think that might be his thought process if he follows your line of thinking.

Again, extricate yourself from the jaws of groupthink delusion. Think of this rationally.
LOL. You are right; but, they still got married!

Advertisement
Mario's has 6 or 7 a year too. He's perpetually in tight games in the 4th quarter against teams he should be playing 3rd stringers against. Fresno State, Arizona and Cal. Those are 3 games against outmatched opponents where they were fighting for their lives going into the 4the quarter. He got burned by Stanford. If you liked the 2020 Miami season then you'll love Mario. He lives in that world. At least he doesn't get blown out in big games and wins some.

He's 30-11 at Oregon. 4-1 against top 10 schools. Has won his conference twice.

Considering how are last 16 seasons have gone here, i'll live in that world any day

Hmmmmm..Almost..but nice try. None of those coaches had any emotional ties to those teams whatsoever. It was crazy for them to go to those teams..HOWEVER, UM is in Marios blood. He was in "The U" doc for christs sake while being the HC for another team. Its been already said by people in the know that UM is one of the schools he would leave Oregon for. (Along with Bama) So that tell you right there emotionally he is still tied to this university.

You need an antidote, you are totally infected with the groupthink delusion that’s going on in this thread.

The best thing you can say about Mario to Miami, is that it’s a very low probability chance, and an unlikely series of events needs to occur before it even becomes close to a probable concept.

Yeah I dont know about that one. Nick Saban and Bama a decade later seem to be getting along just fine using that posters analogy. Bama was not a hot destination before he got there. I couldnt even tell you who there HCs were after Gene Stallings.

Advertisement
Back