Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

I don’t understand why it’s a debate over whether we should try and hire Mario. He may have a bad game or two a season but **** Miami has 6 or 7 a year. How many teams don’t on a year to year basis? I’ll take the highs he creates and live with the possible lows. If I’m getting 9-10 wins a year and top 5 recruiting classes what’s the issue? Now come 6-7 years into his tenure, sure then you start saying what’s the issue? But why say no before then? I don’t get it.
Mario's has 6 or 7 a year too. He's perpetually in tight games in the 4th quarter against teams he should be playing 3rd stringers against. Fresno State, Arizona and Cal. Those are 3 games against outmatched opponents where they were fighting for their lives going into the 4the quarter. He got burned by Stanford. If you liked the 2020 Miami season then you'll love Mario. He lives in that world. At least he doesn't get blown out in big games and wins some.

Advertisement
The reason I think it is relevant is because there are already a lot of Oregon folks that I have read that are unhappy with his performance (odd losses) and that is while the entire PAC is down. How much more toxic will things become is Kelly keeps righting the ship at UCLA and USC becomes a power again and those losses become more frequent?
And yet he keeps winning the league…he wouldn’t do that here

Another thing concerning Mario ill say is if he is really not interested at all and has zero desire to want to come here whatsoever, I hope he tells us this immediately and not have us "Hanging on a String" like Loose Ends. Keep it straight with us and let us move on. Dont tell us in January that you are not interested knowing we have limited options at that time and most of the big dogs will be off the market. If he truly has any love for us still, I hope he grants us that respect.

Mirabal.jpg

Yes please

I got to see first hand what this man did at Marshall. He turned those 2 star and low 3 star guys in to some great OLinemen. Just adding him to the staff would improve this team exponentially.

One thing that's lost when we discuss Mario and what kind of coach he is, is that he likely brings us back to consistently winning 8, 9 games a year. I know that's not what 98% of this board wants (championship or bust, bro!), but given the coaching we've had here for the last 15+ years, a consistent 8+ win team is likely better than anything we've seen since Butch.

I'm not convinced that Mario is a 10+ win guy or someone who consistently puts us in constant national championship discussion but short of a handful of guys all of whom are untouchable, most programs don't have that guy either. So, he's likely the best option.

Advertisement
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it's pretty funny that Miller, who likely has his hands more than full running a multimillion dollar business has to spur change and that it doesn't seem to come from within Blake's department.

@DMoney Any timetable on when the university will make a determination (if any) concerning Blake's continued employment? Also, any other HC names you've heard you're willing to share? Thanks.
I think it would be before Manny or at the same time. End of the season or sooner.

Another thing concerning Mario ill say is if he is really not interested at all and has zero desire to want to come here whatsoever, I hope he tells us this immediately and not have us "Hanging on a String" like Loose Ends. Keep it straight with us and let us move on. Dont tell us in January that you are not interested knowing we have limited options at that time and most of the big dogs will be off the market. If he truly has any love for us still, I hope he grants us that respect.
what if he's in the playoffs in January? he makes to the playoffs, we are toast

This is purely speculation, but I suspect the culture gap between Oregon and Miami is a factor.

My family moved to Oregon from Cuba. Great place, we visit all the time, I was just in Eugene for a wedding. But there is no place more different than Miami on the map. The air, the slow drizzle of rain, the chill atmosphere v. the intensity, the fact that everyone is white. And football is just not as big of a deal.

Cubans come back to Miami if the money makes sense. And remember, Oregon has one of the highest state income taxes in the country. The biggest draw for him to stay at Oregon is likely the roster he assembled. They are set up for success.

Whereabouts in Oregon? We moved to Southern Oregon when I was kid (half Cuban from Miami , so maybe I only felt half your pain) . Most folks don't realize that Eastern and Southern Oregon (aside from Eugene and Ashland) are much more like a Confederate part of the country than they are like San Francisco or Portland.

Advertisement
Mario's has 6 or 7 a year too. He's perpetually in tight games in the 4th quarter against teams he should be playing 3rd stringers against. Fresno State, Arizona and Cal. Those are 3 games against outmatched opponents where they were fighting for their lives going into the 4the quarter. He got burned by Stanford. If you liked the 2020 Miami season then you'll love Mario. He lives in that world. At least he doesn't get blown out in big games and wins some.
Not having your oc is kind‘ve a big deal , on top of a bunch injuries. Moat teams have close games in conference. All that matter if you win.

Btw he’s working on his third conference title and ranked in the top ten while winning big bowl games . Comparing that to Miami is idiotic.

Also, there’s this obsession on this board with Alonzo, we just need the best qualified candidate that we can get, to turn the ship around.

I’m not so sure that it’s Alonzo. Maybe it is him, but where is his track record of success in athletic departments? There is none. So it would be a little bit of a reach and I don’t think there’s any question about that.

It’s close to same mentality that says, “hey, we should hire Ray Lewis as a linebackers coach or as a defensive coordinator“
I get what your saying but I am pretty sure any NFL or college team would love to have Ray Lewis as their LB coach

Wait till the 1st quarter of the 1st game when half the board wants him fired and is yelling nepotism at Cristobal's buddy.
True, but I think most fans realize that our Oline is at minimum a 2 year rebuilding project. I'm not convinced that anyone currently on the team has that nastiness in them that's required. There will definitely be some growing pains.

Advertisement
2020 was one of the better years we’ve had in 15 years. Are we saying we shouldn’t hire a guy who can be better than that?

Whereabouts in Oregon? We moved to Southern Oregon when I was kid (half Cuban from Miami , so maybe I only felt half your pain) . Most folks don't realize that Eastern and Southern Oregon (aside from Eugene and Ashland) are much more like a Confederate part of the country than they are like San Francisco or Portland.
Milwaukie right outside Portland. My dad went to Milwaukie High, alma mater of Tonya Harding.

Advertisement
True, but I think most fans realize that our Oline is at minimum a 2 year rebuilding project. I'm not convinced that anyone currently on the team has that nastiness in them that's required. There will definitely be some growing pains.
And of course I'm joking . . . he's a fellow Columbus guy and I know Mirabal's brother. But this board will quickly turn on Cristobal the way it did with Golden if it senses that someone has a job b/c of a friendship.

I’m curious to know what the expectation and standard would be for the team if Mario were to be coach. How many wins per year on avg do we expect? Do we expect him to bring us to the promised land? Yearly playoff contender? How long do we give him to get us there until we are fed up?

When you combine the fact of the roster he’s built, with the institutional support he already enjoys (as I mentioned previously everything from funding to facilities, the money, all that), add in the fan support, there’s not a package that we could put together that would drive him here.

That’s my opinion based on trying to be objective. And I love Miami more than anything, but it’s a hard truth for me.

Not that we shouldn’t try, but I’m finding it hard to believe anything we could come up with that would draw a logical nod to Miami as a better job
Until proven otherwise this is the only objective way to look at the Mario situation. Remove yourself from emotion (because he probably will)
Ask yourself if it was your career on the line would you take this job knowing the support will never be what I have now....or say fvck it and risk it all. We better have some really good sales people making the pitch him.

Advertisement
Back