Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

i've planted a bug at the Mirabal house and the Cristobal house in Westchester. We also have tails on the cars there. Will report back when i have some concrete evidence that Mario is coming. A box of croquetas and pastelitos from La Carreta would be highly suggestive of imminent action occurring.

Advertisement
His rolodex is deep. He’s connected to HS coaches from Washington to SoCal to Texas to Alabama to the Northeast to Florida. He has pull nationally at Oregon, let alone Miami. Coaches in the industry respect him, he’d put together a pretty good staff if he were to come.
The millennials are googling Rolodex right now

His buyout drops to 6.5 in January. That’s not an issue. His salary will likely be in the 6-6.5 million range. Money isn’t what he’ll be worrying about, he’ll need Miami
to prove they’re taking football serious and have a plan.
So what does that look like? What kind of infrastructure improvements does he expect?

timing is the big issue. Mario isn't leaving or announcing he's leaving until this year plays out. What if he makes the playoffs? And if he goes to the title game? And if we wins the title game? if any of the last two occur, i don't expect him here. Here's hoping he loses a game or two down the road.

Advertisement
Bingo.

This search reminds me of 2015. Stu Miller was so upset with the Clemson debacle in an empty stadium that he pushed for a sure-thing coach. The school knew going into that search that they would have to pay.

Blake told boosters and trustees that he wanted a coach with winning HC experience in a real conference, a clean background and preferably some Miami ties. Richt landed in his lap and fit his criteria perfectly. Richt was unfortunately at the end of his career, but notice how we met his demands: he got paid more than at Georgia, he had a big budget for assistants (Kool, Brown, etc.), he got the school to waive its nepotism policy and he got them to commit to facilities like the IPF.

Expect similar concessions if we go after a big-ticket coach like Cristobal.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it's pretty funny that Miller, who likely has his hands more than full running a multimillion dollar business has to spur change and that it doesn't seem to come from within Blake's department.

@DMoney Any timetable on when the university will make a determination (if any) concerning Blake's continued employment? Also, any other HC names you've heard you're willing to share? Thanks.

If Manny had returned the portal would've needed an addition to fit all the canes in it.
How many we talking?

I just want to keep JW0, LT, Chaney and the rest of the Freshmen. JHH too. Restrepo and Arroyo.

Everyone else can bounce if they want to.

Wait not Rooster. Or Keontra.

Advertisement
At one time I was very negative on Mario , I‘m pretty sure I started the Luigi stuff years ago lol. But he’s proven himself to be more than what I thought he was. Winning conference titles , recruiting like a monster , building a championship quality roster and most importantly he’ll bring toughness.

Miami was built on physical , tough , violent football. That was the dna of the program. We haven’t had an identity since the early 2000’s. That‘s what we desperately need and he’d bring that. Miami would once again be physical in the trenches and have a nastiness. Because that’s his identity.

Mario would 100 % be a culture shock for this program.
This is exactly what I have been saying in conversations with friends. The attitude within the program is one of the worst qualities and biggest factors that needs to be changed. I’m so sick of seeing guys celebrate and make a spectacle of a tackle they make after a receiver catches a ball for a gain of 30, or after an RB gets 8 yards on a carry. Seeing Mario go off on that freshman kid a few weeks ago was a breath of fresh air, we need that here in the worst way. Rather than a high five and a smile that they get now if they mess something up.

Going to repeat what I said in the other thread since it pertains to Mario- if you add up his likely salary request and his 10 mil buyout, you are looking at a HC who would cost almost as much money as Nick Saban. I like Mario, but I don't think he's worth Nick Saban money. His total cost would be more than the average salary of a NFL HC by nearly 2 million. You'd have to think he would need to all but guarantee another championship for that kind of money.
Herman would cost nothing and already failed at a school where he can literally write the checks himself in a recruiting hot bed with a massive booster base.
Imo the move can pay for itself if we can at least win the coastal for the next 4 years. If we can make the playoffs in 3 the money would be worth it. I’m not talking about worth it for us as fans but also worth it from a returns stand point. At the very least we need a face that walks in to schools in south Florida that know who he is and trust what he can do and where he’s been. If Mario was here now there would be no question on who’s committing. So even if he doesn’t bring us a championship he’s gonna leave the cupboard more stacked then what it is now.

Recruiting is the lifeblood and dudes like chud or anyone without a morality record that the school doesn’t want can’t walk into any high school in sofla and say hey come with me we’re gonna do this right finally.
O’Brien ain’t leaving Bama for this.
Neither is fickle.
Chrisobal carries a lot of weight down here. And I’ll take my chances with a dude that can land a few 5 stars over some guy that can coach up a 3 star.

timing is the big issue. Mario isn't leaving or announcing he's leaving until this year plays out. What if he makes the playoffs? And if he goes to the title game? And if we wins the title game? if any of the last two occur, i don't expect him here. Here's hoping he loses a game or two down the road.

Two reasons why I don't think Mario does anything until after the new year:

- I don't think he'd leave before the season ended (I suppose it's possible) to finish out a good run at UO
- Buyout drops by about 40% after Jan, IIRC.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it's pretty funny that Miller, who likely has his hands more than full running a multimillion dollar business has to spur change and that it doesn't seem to come from within Blake's department.

@DMoney Any timetable on when the university will make a determination (if any) concerning Blake's continued employment? Also, any other HC names you've heard you're willing to share? Thanks.
multi-billion (several of them).

also, what does your relative out there out West say? is a box of croquetas and pastelitos on their way?

Advertisement
Two reasons why I don't think Mario does anything until after the new year:

- I don't think he'd leave before the season ended (I suppose it's possible) to finish out a good run at UO
- Buyout drops by about 40% after Jan, IIRC.
Yea nothing's happening before the end of the season. But he at least might give private indications if he's really interested.

Herman would cost nothing and already failed at a school where he can literally write the checks himself in a recruiting hot bed with a massive booster base.
Imo the move can pay for itself if we can at least win the coastal for the next 4 years. If we can make the playoffs in 3 the money would be worth it. I’m not talking about worth it for us as fans but also worth it from a returns stand point. At the very least we need a face that walks in to schools in south Florida that know who he is and trust what he can do and where he’s been. If Mario was here now there would be no question on who’s committing. So even if he doesn’t bring us a championship he’s gonna leave the cupboard more stacked then what it is now.

Recruiting is the lifeblood and dudes like chud or anyone without a morality record that the school doesn’t want can’t walk into any high school in sofla and say hey come with me we’re gonna do this right finally.
O’Brien ain’t leaving Bama for this.
Neither is fickle.
Chrisobal carries a lot of weight down here. And I’ll take my chances with a dude that can land a few 5 stars over some guy that can coach up a 3 star.

Well, if Cristobal does agree to the UM job, at least that will tell us with 100% certainty that UM has finally decided to take sports seriously at the highest levels (he wouldn't leave an excellent situation at Oregon otherwise ) . I am more concerned about the long term changes at the higher levels than I am the short term question of who will be the next HC.

I don’t understand why it’s a debate over whether we should try and hire Mario. He may have a bad game or two a season but **** Miami has 6 or 7 a year. How many teams don’t on a year to year basis? I’ll take the highs he creates and live with the possible lows. If I’m getting 9-10 wins a year and top 5 recruiting classes what’s the issue? Now come 6-7 years into his tenure, sure then you start saying what’s the issue? But why say no before then? I don’t get it.

Advertisement
People who know him are even torn. That’s why I say it’s 50-50 lol. He’s been the only option. I’ve posted the deal before but all their eggs are in that basket. If they throw legit money at him and show him they’re taking this serious I think we have a legit shot. He’s very loyal to Oregon since they gave him a chance at a big big program. As I’ve said people close to him seem split on what he’d do, but I do know one said there’s only two college jobs he’d leave Oregon for.
LSU and USC? 🤣

To be fair if he’s winning here and has total program control, why leave?
His wife would probably divorce him if he ever came to her about leaving Miami for Tuscaloosa after they were able to finally leave Eugene, Oregon.

Advertisement
Back