Interesting picture of the failed Enos experiment

Advertisement
ERoS07KW4AAi0fW

Aligns perfectly with what we all saw on field.

Miami couldn't sustain drives or put points on the board.

AF is exactly where they should be (along with Army and Navy) based on wingbone O and level of competition they mostly face.

Look how subtly Clemson, OSU, and Bama fell off vs LSU. Made the difference for them hoisting the natty.

A "perfect" team would chart full upper left quadrant. You could also argue full upper right quadrant as well.

Poorest performers would chart full lower left quadrant (Miami and FSU horrible indicators).

GT of old would probably chart middle of bottom right quadrant because of stiffer comp seen vs Service Academies overall.

Now, the chart as presented is visually interesting, but borderline useless UNTIL they break it out by ACCCD, ACC, and ALL teams ranked in Top 20 throughout season.

Last edited:
Advertisement

AF is exactly where they should be (along with Army and Navy) based on wingbone O.

Look how subtly Clemson, OSU, and Bama fell off vs LSU. Made the difference for them hoisting the natty.

A "perfect" team would chart full upper left quadrant. You could also argue full upper right quadrant as well.

Poorest performers would chart full lower left quadrant (Miami and FSU horrible indicators).

GT of old would probably chart middle of bottom right quadrant because of stiffer comp seen vs Service Academies overall.

Now, the chart as presented is visually interesting, but borderline useless UNTIL they break it out by ACCCD, ACC, and ALL teams ranked in Top 20 throughout season.
Dude great breakdown and explanation of this chart!! I agree I would love to see it a couple of different ways...I.E. ACC, Top 25, SEC, Big 10 etc.

AF is exactly where they should be (along with Army and Navy) based on wingbone O.

For individual team drives, the chart would be expanded from 1 play to, say, 20 (or whatever that team's longest drive of the season).
The points would range from 0 to 8.

I was about to argue that the perfect offense would have to take more than 1 play to score a TD to give the D some time to rest, BUT, If your offense scores a touchdown on every play, YOU AIN'T LOSING.

Ok, so I took that to an extreme. No offense scores on every play, so I will go back to arguing for the upper right.
The teams offensive philosophy determines how far right, as you pointed out with AF, Army, and Navy (what's a wingbone?).

A TD on every drive averaging about 5-6 plays per would be cool for me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Defense wins championships?
Alabama, LSU, and OSU averaged a score on every drive.
It’s pretty obvious in the modern game that good offense trumps good defense. It’s only logical since every rule change in football has been created to create more offense. You still have to get stops and turnovers might be the most important thing in all football but the days of shutting down everybody and winning 14-7 are long over. It becomes blatant in the playoffs and championship game where you see teams that have generally been playing great defense all year get lit up by the opposing team’s offense. The best offenses beat the best defenses because the game is designed that way

He’s still unemployed.

That's because it's a loosely kept secret that the display of success here vaults you to the charts of every player draft and coaching firm search. Failing here gives the perception that you either lack the physical skill or coaching acumen to play/coach anywhere.

For individual team drives, the chart would be expanded from 1 play to, say, 20 (or whatever that team's longest drive of the season).
The points would range from 0 to 8.

I was about to argue that the perfect offense would have to take more than 1 play to score a TD to give the D some time to rest, BUT, If your offense scores a touchdown on every play, YOU AIN'T LOSING.

Ok, so I took that to an extreme. No offense scores on every play, so I will go back to arguing for the upper right.
The teams offensive philosophy determines how far right, as you pointed out with AF, Army, and Navy (what's a wingbone?).

A TD on every drive averaging about 5-6 plays per would be cool for me.

Its what USAFA Football calls "wishbone".

Air Force = wingbone...see what they did there?

It’s pretty obvious in the modern game that good offense trumps good defense. It’s only logical since every rule change in football has been created to create more offense. You still have to get stops and turnovers might be the most important thing in all football but the days of shutting down everybody and winning 14-7 are long over. It becomes blatant in the playoffs and championship game where you see teams that have generally been playing great defense all year get lit up by the opposing team’s offense. The best offenses beat the best defenses because the game is designed that way

That's it.
In 6 years, the winners of all the CFB playoffs and Natty games (18 games) have averaged 40 ppg.

You can win with a "good" defense and a great offense in cfb. No longer the other way around.

Advertisement
Back