Interesting Malcolm Lewis article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Marlene Lewis and her husband Marvin like to get into playful arguments over where their youngest son Malcolm -- a star receiver at Miramar High and University of Miami commitment -- got his athletic talents.

Marlene, a mother of five and information management technician at Orange Brook Elementary in Hollywood, says Malcolm got his 4.3-speed in the 40-yard dash from her. In high school, Marlene ran on the 100, 200 and 4x100-meter relay teams at American High in Miami.

Marvin, a former defensive tackle at American High who now serves as a cook for inmates at various Miami-Dade County jails, takes credit for Malcolm's size (5-11, 190) and toughness -- and some of that speed, too.
But Malcolm's passion for football? That's all him.

"You watch him on the field and no matter what, he always gives his best effort. Whether they throw the ball to him or not, he always runs full speed," Marvin Lewis said. "I tell him he's better than me. I wouldn't run that hard every play."

Said Marlene: "He's been that way since he was a little boy. I'd take him to the grocery store with me and he would run around, make all these cuts and spins like somebody was trying to tackle him. I always used to have to scream at him, 'Boy you aren't on the field.' He just loves the game."

Lewis has grown up to be one of the best high school receivers in the country -- and a bonafide leader for the Patriots, who are just three wins away from winning two state titles in three years. Friday night, Miramar, 11-0 and ranked No. 4 in the nation by USA Today, will host Palm Beach Gardens (9-2-1) in the Region 3-8A final.

According to Rivals.com, he's rated the 26th best receiver in the country. He's also considered an ESPN Top 150 recruit (146th) regardless of position. Statistically, though, his numbers hardly represent his talent. Lewis, who caught an 8-yard touchdown pass in his team's win playoff last week against Cypress Bay, has just 37 catches for 535 yards and six touchdowns this season -- middle of the pack numbers compared to other elite receivers in Broward County.

But a big part of that is the number of double and triple teams he draws, setting up opportunities for others on his team to succeed. Lewis is hardly bothered by his lack of big numbers and his coach, Damon Cogdell, said Lewis is an example of a selfless player.

"I don't pay attention to stats," Lewis said. "It's going to come to me. I'm just going to do what I do when I get the ball in my hands."

In the past, whenever Lewis has had the ball in his hands it's usually resulted in big plays. As a sophomore, he caught the winning touchdown pass from Ryan Williams (now at UM) in Miramar's state semifinal win over Miami Central. Earlier this season in Miramar's stunning upset of St. Thomas Aquinas, he caught a touchdown pass in the back of the end zone on fourth down to help rally the Patriots.

"Just a great kid and a real Patriot," Cogdell said. "He's the type of kid you want your daughter to bring home. Don't let the dreads fool you. He's a very humble kid. And truthfully, he's probably the most talented kid I got out here.

"He doesn't complain. I remember last year there was many games where he was wide open and we didn't get the ball to him. He never complained. It was kind of scary. He just never complains."

Tracy Howard, Lewis' best friend and an All-American cornerback at Miramar, says Lewis remains the best receiver he's had to face in high school.

"He's just so fast. Once he gets up field, he's gone," Howard said. "He's 190. You don't expect him to be that fast. I like to play press. You play press and he beats you, that's it. I think that's what separates him from most guys. He's physical enough to break away and he's fast."

Miramar has sent quite a few receivers to college over the past few years: Ivan McCartney (West Virginia), Stedman Bailey (West Virginia) Donte Chambers (Morgan St.), Rashad Gholston (Florida State), Terrance Gourdine (Eastern Michigan), Denzell McCollum (leaving junior college now).
Cogdell won't go as far as calling Lewis the best of the bunch out of respect for all of the receivers who have played for him, but calls him special. Cogdell said Lewis has dropped just two passes thrown his way this season.

"Great hands, strong hands, good route runner, just overall good kid," Cogdell said. "I would love to have him on defense at safety or corner. But we try to utilize him on offense and special teams.

"The scary part about it is I don't think colleges are giving him due justice. He's got a lot of offers, but there aren't many schools who really followed up on him and recruited him that hard. Miami did and stayed on him. But I thought for sure there would be more teams on him. To me, he's one of the best in the country."
Lewis orally committed to UM coaches two weeks ago and says the decision is "a done deal for right now." While other schools continue to recruit him, he said it's doubtful he'll change his mind because he wants to stay close to home.

"For me, it's really all about family," said Lewis, who had LSU, Florida State, Alabama and Florida as his other finalists.

"I took a visit to West Virginia and I liked it. But it's so far away. I know if I stay down here I can play in front of my family. I live right down the street from [Sun Life Stadium]. On gamedays, this whole section over here [at Miramar] is filled with my family and friends. My granddaddy, cousins, nieces. I just want to play close by for them."

Advertisement
That really is a great article, kid seems to be exactly what Golden is looking for. I see him being an impact freshman just like Dorsett was. Can't wait for him to get on campus.

I like this Lewis get.

I like those Miramar wide outs. gogeta and I were all over Stedman Bailey when he was a guy no one knew about...we were singing that kids praises when we were taking Kendall Thompkins, Davon Johnson and the like. Loved Sticks McCartney...**** I woulda taken their boy Chambers just because to make sure I got the whole **** group...I thought those boys were that talented...

This Lewis kid...I like'em. I remember seeing him as a sophomore in the playoffs.

He'll end up being one of the better wide outs from a large class we bring in, for sure.

Advertisement
I like this Lewis get.

I like those Miramar wide outs. gogeta and I were all over Stedman Bailey when he was a guy no one knew about...we were singing that kids praises when we were taking Kendall Thompkins, Davon Johnson and the like. Loved Sticks McCartney...**** I woulda taken their boy Chambers just because to make sure I got the whole **** group...I thought those boys were that talented...

This Lewis kid...I like'em. I remember seeing him as a sophomore in the playoffs.

He'll end up being one of the better wide outs from a large class we bring in, for sure.

I remember the Sticks recruiting, vaguely. He was rumored to be a silent and **** near a lock for most of his recruitment, then he ended up at WVU. WTF happened?

I like this Lewis get.

This. And re sticks, to whoever asked below, that was back in the days of bullshizzle "silents."

IMO, Lewis will be a difference maker and UM throwback. One of the most impactful kids in the class.

I like this Lewis get.

I remember the Sticks recruiting, vaguely. He was rumored to be a silent and **** near a lock for most of his recruitment, then he ended up at WVU. WTF happened?

Sticks had real interest in UM, but I mean, when WVU takes ALL of your real life boys (Geno, Sted, D-Chambers) and all of your boys want to you to join...you won't say no.

Advertisement
I guess they edited the article or whatever, but in the original version Howard pretty much stated he's not coming here.

I like this Lewis get.

MIRAMAR STAND UP!1..LOL

Naw foreal...Larry is right...these Miramar wr's are well coached. They got a coach..T.Y guy works with them and one of my bys...these guys work on passing and routes year round.
Kendall Thompkins??....me and larry were screaming Stedman Bailey...Bailey had Cris Carter looking at him like "son your the real deal"....these guys are fine tuned in the route running. etc..of playing wideout.

Malcolm is a solidly built kid...who is quick..and also physical..(think a bigger Davonne Bess/ Darnell Jenkins type)...he's dangerous with the ball in his hands...(QUICK SCREENS)...i dont think he shirts...guy will compete

I remember the Sticks recruiting, vaguely. He was rumored to be a silent and **** near a lock for most of his recruitment, then he ended up at WVU. WTF happened?[/QUOTE]

Sticks had real interest in UM, but I mean, when WVU takes ALL of your real life boys (Geno, Sted, D-Chambers) and all of your boys want to you to join...you won't say no.[/QUOTE

Word all thru MIRAMAR was sticks was a um lock...Remember watching the state game in THE BARBER SHOP (lol) and everybody (former teammates and coaches) were telling of STicks.." the boi thats going to the u"....

But just like Larry stated ...wvu had his best friends literally in Gen,Sted, and Dante especially Geno who definately would throw him the rock...these kids was sort of like Jacory and Streeter who i always saw together in high school. It was actually abit f surprise when sticks went to wvu though at miramar..not sure if that was his plan.

Advertisement
No one knows anything about where Tracy Howard will end up. No one. His mother runs the show and she is Fort Knox. Does not offer clues. I've been told that most think that he is only considering UF and FSU, but that UM is very much in the picture. Like DMoney said, I don't think he will end up at UM and see him at FSU.

IMO: Best decision for him would be to go to UM, start his first year, and play in front of his family and friends.

Advertisement
I agree that this is a guy that golden wants. Relentless, gym rat, runs hard every play. I bet he plays from day one

tonight...stedman bailey wins game for wvu...with the geno smith connection.

i knew the kid was the goods....and he and geno are humble guys.....stedman was **** near shy when i talked to him

I like this Lewis get.

Yea I dont know what happened... I believe I read an article that during signing day he walked up to the podium at his school with a UM cap and then his sister ran out and gave him the WVU cap and he took off the UM cap and signed with WVU... I dont know what happended... I did however like Bailey, I was wondering why we didnt recruit him... Looking back at it we did take the best wideouts in Dade and the best wideout in Palm /beach but only a few realized their potential... Davon Johnson could never stay healthy, AJ and TC lost passion for the game, KT cant crack the lineup and Streeter was a late bloomer... We were just unlucky, but now in hindsight you watch the motivated kids like TY, Vernon and Varner at duke as well as Bailey you're like man we missed out but it was sort of a lose-lose situation...

Advertisement
Back