Interesting discussion on NFL scouts' podcast

OK but let’s be fair and not revisionist historians in 3-4 years.
Which S Florida shorter and quicker/fast receiver did we pass on this year? I don’t know S Florida recruiting very well in terms of who we did NOT recruit so I ask this question so that we are fair in the future to the staff as to who they did NOT recruit.

What I want to avoid is some guy none of the recruiting experts knowing about, or at least not heralding and pushing (I don’t remember an uproar about us NOT recruiting Antonio Brown) who then blows up at West Montana State and we are all wondering why UM did not recruit him.
So let’s be fair to the staff and put the names in this thread before we have seen anyone produce in college.

???Question as stated above; which S Fla receiver(s) of the short, fast/quick variety did UM fail to recruit as hard as we should have in the class of ‘21????

Advertisement
I was listening to a podcast with two former NFL scouts. At the 8:30 mark, they talk about their favorite Day 2 WR prospects. One picks Elijah Moore, the other picks Tutu Atwell. When they look for comparisons, the names they mention are TY Hilton, Hollywood Brown and John Brown. Of course, all five of those guys are from South Florida. None got UM offers.

We need playmakers and these guys are low-hanging fruit. Don't let any more dynamic, punt returner types out the door.

****, D; we were “this” close to letting Harley walk, too.

Would these repeated failures fall under the heading of bad evaluations or would they result from just not looking at kids who don't meet a rigid set of physical requirements? I wonder if UM would look at Santana Moss or Roscoe Parrish at this point? It seems like they are becoming a little more flexible as they offered Santana Fleming recently, and he's a smaller receiver.
Wrong criteria is a subset of bad evals, imo.

Which S Florida shorter and quicker/fast receiver did we pass on this year? I don’t know S Florida recruiting very well in terms of who we did NOT recruit so I ask this question so that we are fair in the future to the staff as to who they did NOT recruit.

What I want to avoid is some guy none of the recruiting experts knowing about, or at least not heralding and pushing (I don’t remember an uproar about us NOT recruiting Antonio Brown) who then blows up at West Montana State and we are all wondering why UM did not recruit him.
So let’s be fair to the staff and put the names in this thread before we have seen anyone produce in college.

???Question as stated above; which S Fla receiver(s) of the short, fast/quick variety did UM fail to recruit as hard as we should have in the class of ‘21????
You can go back and read the moore and atwell theads.

We need to go get guys that can be playmakers yes but the first thing we need to do is make sure they can catch the **** ball to start with..

we pass up the guys like was posted in the original post because they don’t look as good in a uniform as some other guy or they don’t fit some **** chart then you go get the “big” WR who looks great in a uniform an get him on campus and he can’t catch a cold.

it’s the same problem we’ve had with CB recruiting.We keep trying to get kids that look great in a uniform and fit a certain chart and then you get them on the field and they can’t cover my old ***...

we need to improve on our evaluations at ALL positions and start making sure we are recruiting guys that can actually play instead of recruiting guys that look good in the team picture..
Feelin like a proud papa....

Advertisement
Footwork is the name of the game. People hear “ separation “ and think that means physicality off the line , beating a jam. If you want to see separation and footwork go watch Antonio vs honey badger on the two yard line in the super bowl. Better yet go watch any Devanta Adam’s game on a Sunday, that dude is impossible to press or guard off the line , the footwork is impeccable:

A 4.3-4.4 guy with sloppy footwork or bad route running is flat out useless. Give me hands , quicks and footwork over straight line speed every day of the week.
Devonta Smith runs in the 4.5s...he beats jams and will get 5 yards of separation before a corner can flip his hips. The speed is nice, but ya, there is a lot of other attributes that go into being a good wide receiver. Gotta work on your game a lot to be a good wide receiver. When you see how much work great wide receivers put in, its crazy. Its more of a craftsman position these days to be great.

They won't tell you cause they don't know, is easier to wait until they become stars and then use hindsight.
You can go back to when Pope, Wiggins, Payton, Harley, Redding all committed, almost everyone was happy and no one was complaining.

They won't tell you cause they don't know, is easier to wait until they become stars and then use hindsight.
You can go back to when Pope, Wiggins, Payton, Harley, Redding all committed, almost everyone was happy and no one was complaining.

Bro, that’s not what’s being stated.

Advertisement
LIES.

DMONEY makes a thread every year with the top local prospects he sees yearly by position..and me and other posters add guys in those threads. You can go though it if you want to see. Inf act in this thread he quickly posted his write up on Zay Flowers.

Me personally i never was high on Pope or Wiggins. Most of the board was high on Pope though n ho hum to Wiggins. The other 3 guys i like ..Harley, Redding, Payton

Advertisement
LIES.

DMONEY makes a thread every year with the top local prospects he sees yearly by position..and me and other posters add guys in those threads. You can go though it if you want to see. Inf act in this thread he quickly posted his write up on Zay Flowers.

Me personally i never was high on Pope or Wiggins. Most of the board was high on Pope though n ho hum to Wiggins. The other 3 guys i like ..Harley, Redding, Payton

In that same write up about WRs he also said it wasnt a good year for WRs and that he was glad we loaded up the year before and that the following year would be better.

Advertisement
In the 2021 class, Mario Williams, Christian Leary, Yulkeith Brown, Brashard Smith & Malik Rutherford all fit the description as the smaller speed demon slots from FL.

Nationally, kids like JoJo Earle, Roderick Daniels, Dominic Lovett, Theodore Knox & JJ Henry all fit the mold as well.

Basically, teams are just looking for the next Tyreek Hill, given how talented & gifted Hill is that’s much easier said than done, but if you aim for the stars you still might hit the moon... Henry Ruggs is no Tyreek Hill, but in a wide open spread/Raid college offense he can be similarly effective.

And of course there have been great slot speedsters long before Hill, I’m just using him as the example because he’s essentially the pinnacle of what you’re looking for in a small WR.

Jacoby Ford was productive by his Junior year at Clemson back in during a different era of college football & wound up a 4th rounder, in today’s game he would’ve been highly productive & became a 1st rounder.

****, Miami should know all about small fast WR’s, Santana Moss was a 1st rounder, had a great NFL career & is apart of the deified pantheon of great Miami WR’s, along with Randal Hill, Roscoe Parrish, Travis Benjamin & Phillip Dorsett.

My dawg MALIK.

tenor.gif

He's real small, but such a baller.

Advertisement
Back