Interesting discussion on NFL scouts' podcast

Emeka Emezie can’t play? We passed on him

Kelvin Harmon can’t play? We passed on him

Steve Ishmael can’t play? We passed on him

Tyquan Thornton can’t play? We passed on him

3 of the 4 within the last 5 years...2 would’ve been on this team and would’ve made a huge difference. I wonder if offering Gabriel Davis would’ve made a difference? Or maybe Tre’Quan Smith? All in those same 5-6 year frame. Maybe the actual issue is that this University still thinks it’s 1985...
Good players. None of them as good as the guys listed in the OP.

There is a specific type of local player we are consistently missing on.

Advertisement
Along with Stacey Coley, the best receivers we’ve signed in the past decade are Phillip Dorsett, Braxton Berrios and Mike Harley.

Big WR don’t do you any good if they can’t play. We happen to be located in an area that produces a disproportionate amount of small NFL receivers. Those future pros should be at Miami.
You forgot Richards who was leaps and bounds above all of them

Emeka Emezie can’t play? We passed on him

Kelvin Harmon can’t play? We passed on him

Steve Ishmael can’t play? We passed on him

Tyquan Thornton can’t play? We passed on him

3 of the 4 within the last 5 years...2 would’ve been on this team and would’ve made a huge difference. I wonder if offering Gabriel Davis would’ve made a difference? Or maybe Tre’Quan Smith? All in those same 5-6 year frame. Maybe the actual issue is that this University still thinks it’s 1985...
You don’t need big wrs. Look at bama the last few years and their top 4 wrs. Juedy 6’1 190, ruggs 5’11 185, smith 6’1 174, waddle 5’10 183. Osu starting wrs last year was 6’1 188, 6’2 188, and 6’0 190. And I heard none of these teams complaining about needing a big wr to make contested catches because their guys got open.

You don’t need big wrs. Look at bama the last few years and their top 4 wrs. Juedy 6’1 190, ruggs 5’11 185, smith 6’1 174, waddle 5’10 183. Osu starting wrs last year was 6’1 188, 6’2 188, and 6’0 190. And I heard none of these teams complaining about needing a big wr to make contested catches because their guys got open.
Out run them so you don't have to 'contest' the ball.

Advertisement
Dont get the contested catch guy, please.

If I see N'Keal Harry on the football field again, I will vomit.
Praying to GOD these reports of a trade are true lol I don't even care what we get back for him. Could be a 7th round pick swap for all I care. Maybe a 6th because apparently he can block now :sneaky:

Safe to say Brashard Smith fills that role...

but I agree these speed demons who just know how to get open need to be taken every single year...

plus it’s nice to have an offense now that caters to these kinds WRs and not getting forever lost in “length” like a Wiggins
I may be off on this but is he more of a Steve Smith type. Fast but also strong?

There's always a handful of you guys who try to justify these misses.
But it's not like we've missed on a couple guys. This has been an on-going thing for years. We love letting little explosive WR's leave our backyard.
Sooo many of them have gone on to have successful NCAA and NFL careers. At what point does it become a legitimate concern in yall's eyes? (it's bothered DMoney and I for years, we always talk about this)

And don't give me this **** about how no other big-time programs offered these kids. Those other programs aren't located 10 minutes away from these kids like we are. They can't identify these kids the way Miami can. (they also have bigger fish to fry)
Kids like Tutu Atwell, Elijah Moore and Isaiah McKenzie were no-brainers.

Miami should ALWAYS recruit the most explosive play-maker in it's backyard EVERY YEAR regardless of size or who else is recruiting him.

You can miss me with that "you can't get everybody" nonsense.
GET THE RIGHT ONES!

How does it NOT bother yall to watch Zay Flowers, Tutu Atwell and Elijah Moore make explosive plays every week in college football?
And then literally the very next day you're watching a handful of other South Florida kids doing it in the NFL.

Personally I love watching the Buffalo Bills offense (with their FOUR South Florida kids) run through my Miami Dolphin's defense twice a year.

Advertisement
How does it NOT bother yall to watch Zay Flowers, Tutu Atwell and Elijah Moore make explosive plays every week in college football?
Zay Flowers was another one. He could have been just as good at CB as he's been at WR.

It's not like he was a late bloomer, either. His highlight reel was a movie and he played with two high-profile teammates:

Zay Flowers- 5’10, 165 (University)- Explosive two-way player who does not get enough attention. Gets off the line quick. Physical tackler and dangerous blitzer. He can be a stud WR but I love him on defense. May be the best football player on team with Kenny McIntosh and Josh Sanguinetti.

Agreed. I would always get so frustrated seeing these smaller but insanely quick athletes go and ball out at a smaller school. Until Lashlee, I think our scheme was very vanilla and pro-style. We didn't prioritize shifty, quick, small guys. We wanted bigger true WRs. In my opinion, every Miami class should include the best playmaker regardless of position in the tri-country area. Usually these guys are playing QB or a myriad of positions.

Last edited:
Would these repeated failures fall under the heading of bad evaluations or would they result from just not looking at kids who don't meet a rigid set of physical requirements? I wonder if UM would look at Santana Moss or Roscoe Parrish at this point? It seems like they are becoming a little more flexible as they offered Santana Fleming recently, and he's a smaller receiver.

Advertisement
So your response to me is to mention 2 WRs from Bama that exclusively played in the slot + are bigger than 2 of our “starters” and 2 other WRs from OSU were over 6’0? Thanks for proving my point.

We need to go get guys that can be playmakers yes but the first thing we need to do is make sure they can catch the **** ball to start with..

we pass up the guys like was posted in the original post because they don’t look as good in a uniform as some other guy or they don’t fit some **** chart then you go get the “big” WR who looks great in a uniform an get him on campus and he can’t catch a cold.

it’s the same problem we’ve had with CB recruiting.We keep trying to get kids that look great in a uniform and fit a certain chart and then you get them on the field and they can’t cover my old ***...

‘we need to improve on our evaluations at ALL positions and start making sure we are recruiting guys that can actually play instead of recruiting guys that look good in the team picture..

Last edited:
Passing on Joystick with Sony Michel at the same school was utter insanity. His junior year he had 30 catches 850 yards - 15 receiving touchdowns. Dynamic returner too.
Right!

And he did it versus everybody. I watched that kid make Dade teams look slow and foolish.
I mean, the kid's name is JOYSTICK for crying out loud.

Advertisement
Would these repeated failures fall under the heading of bad evaluations or would they result from just not looking at kids who don't meet a rigid set of physical requirements? I wonder if UM would look at Santana Moss or Roscoe Parrish at this point? It seems like they are becoming a little more flexible as they offered Santana Fleming recently, and he's a smaller receiver.
The last couple staffs wouldn't have recruited the Moss brothers or Roscoe IMO.

Imagine tutu and Moore on the same offense. Lol we’d have destroyed this year with lashlee. The guys who have solid size great speed and hands are the blue chips we also have to land of course. Jeudy Richards etc.

Instead of crying about players we missed on, why not celebrate some of the players we landed, like Wiggins and Pope?
diarrhea sneezing GIF

Advertisement
Back