Interesting discussion on NFL scouts' podcast

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
I was listening to a podcast with two former NFL scouts. At the 8:30 mark, they talk about their favorite Day 2 WR prospects. One picks Elijah Moore, the other picks Tutu Atwell. When they look for comparisons, the names they mention are TY Hilton, Hollywood Brown and John Brown. Of course, all five of those guys are from South Florida. None got UM offers.

We need playmakers and these guys are low-hanging fruit. Don't let any more dynamic, punt returner types out the door.

Advertisement
Safe to say Brashard Smith fills that role...

but I agree these speed demons who just know how to get open need to be taken every single year...

plus it’s nice to have an offense now that caters to these kinds WRs and not getting forever lost in “length” like a Wiggins

Advertisement
I was listening to a podcast with two former NFL scouts. At the 8:30 mark, they talk about their favorite Day 2 WR prospects. One picks Elijah Moore, the other picks Tutu Atwell. When they look for comparisons, the names they mention are TY Hilton, Hollywood Brown and John Brown. Of course, all five of those guys are from South Florida. None got UM offers.

We need playmakers and these guys are low-hanging fruit. Don't let any more dynamic, punt returner types out the door.

How does this fit with your post on needing size?

Who would want guys like that when we can sign guys like Pope and Wiggins?

Advertisement
How does this fit with your post on needing size?
I said it in that thread: at WR, give me explosive playmakers.

Ideally you have guys like Jamarr Chase and Andre Johnson, but the key at that position is the ability to make explosive plays.

None of Alabama’s recent receivers were power forward types. Oklahoma and Ohio State are built the same way. Playmaking is the first priority.

I am a separation guy at WR. Contested catch guys are fun in the highlights and you need an alpha in the room, for sure, but you can build an offense around these guys who create immediate separation and make you miss in space.

Look at Miami's room and you see that has been missing for years. We tend to recruit a room full of the same types.

This year we have added a little bit of this, but I'm all-in on punt returners, Wildcat playmakers at the position and move them around in space. College level is too easy to scheme these guys open with hitches, crossers, screens and profit.

I am a separation guy at WR. Contested catch guys are fun in the highlights and you need an alpha in the room, for sure, but you can build an offense around these guys who create immediate separation and make you miss in space.

Look at Miami's room and you see that has been missing for years. We tend to recruit a room full of the same types.

This year we have added a little bit of this, but I'm all-in on punt returners, Wildcat playmakers at the position and move them around in space. College level is too easy to scheme these guys open with hitches, crossers, screens and profit.
with that being said who would you target this class? your top 2-3 guys

You’re being nit picky. For every Elijah Moore and Tutu there’s Mark Pope and and that kid that went to Toledo like 5 years ago. You can’t build your WR core around these type of guys. This isn’t the 90’s. Sure are they needed and successful in the slot? Absolutely! But you can’t fill your roster with these guys. Teams would just press you and throw these small dudes out of bounds. We could’ve had Emeka Emezie, Steve Ishmael, Camron Buckley, and Tyquan Thornton over the past 6 years and our room would’ve looked different too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You’re being nit picky. For every Elijah Moore and Tutu there’s Mark Pope and and that kid that went to Toledo like 5 years ago.
Along with Stacey Coley, the best receivers we’ve signed in the past decade are Phillip Dorsett, Braxton Berrios and Mike Harley.

Big WR don’t do you any good if they can’t play. We happen to be located in an area that produces a disproportionate amount of small NFL receivers. Those future pros should be at Miami.

Along with Stacey Coley, the best receivers we’ve signed in the past decade are Phillip Dorsett, Braxton Berrios and Mike Harley.

Big WR don’t do you any good if they can’t play. We happen to be located in an area that produces a disproportionate amount of small NFL receivers. Those future pros should be at Miami.
Emeka Emezie can’t play? We passed on him

Kelvin Harmon can’t play? We passed on him

Steve Ishmael can’t play? We passed on him

Tyquan Thornton can’t play? We passed on him

3 of the 4 within the last 5 years...2 would’ve been on this team and would’ve made a huge difference. I wonder if offering Gabriel Davis would’ve made a difference? Or maybe Tre’Quan Smith? All in those same 5-6 year frame. Maybe the actual issue is that this University still thinks it’s 1985...

Last edited:
Safe to say Brashard Smith fills that role...

but I agree these speed demons who just know how to get open need to be taken every single year...

plus it’s nice to have an offense now that caters to these kinds WRs and not getting forever lost in “length” like a Wiggins

Totally agreed on this. Even if the eval isn't great and you don't know where to put him, you gotta take a guy who can flat-out fly. Make him a gunner on kickoffs at the very least. You can teach tackling and catching to most people (clearly not Wiggins), but you can't teach speed and in particular acceleration.

Advertisement
We as a program have been hung up on height as a measurable since Randy took over. We’ve lost out on playmakers. Everyone talks about culture, but this is now a part of ours. We focus more on height and stars, than we do pass catching and play making. Every cycle same ****. Wiggins and Pope couldn’t catch a cold at the ridge. We did grab one for 21 and that’s encouraging.

Advertisement
Back