Interesting comments from Ed Reed (Re: Getting the U back to glory)

HurricaneAce07

Class of 2007
Saw this on The Ringer's "Slow News Day" by Kevin Clark (a UM grad). He interviewed Ed Reed and asked an interesting question at the 7:10 mark.

Some of his "subtle" comments:
  • "Understanding and patience"
  • "People humbling themselves"
  • "Players taking hold of this thing"
  • "Take some people shutting up" - Kevin followed up on this one and Ed responded "it's for whoever it's for"
  • "Taking some coaching and teaching"

Really interested to know who he's referring to on the humble + shut-up comments.

Advertisement
Advertisement
While I will always be appreciative of what Ed did for the U and i'm a massive fan, these general type comments are why some players that are great, can't be coaches. You literally get nothing out of it but words. Plus, I'd say if he was that committed to making Miami better he'd actually be around rather than taking a job where he is getting paid to be a cover for Manny from someone else taking the role, while getting paid for it.

While I will always be appreciative of what Ed did for the U and i'm a massive fan, these general type comments are why some players that are great, can't be coaches. You literally get nothing out of it but words. Plus, I'd say if he was that committed to making Miami better he'd actually be around rather than taking a job where he is getting paid to be a cover for Manny from someone else taking the role, while getting paid for it.
Not cool to blame ER for manny’s inability to accept help or admit he’s wrong.

Advertisement
With all due respect to Mr. Reed who is one of my favorite all time Canes, he’s stating thoughts on players today and comparing to his era, 20 years ago plus. Times were different then than to today. Kids today are softer, much more entitled and carry little patience to wait their turn. Hence, hello transfer portal.

Advertisement
With all due respect to Mr. Reed who is one of my favorite all time Canes, he’s stating thoughts on players today and comparing to his era, 20 years ago plus. Times were different then than to today. Kids today are softer, much more entitled and carry little patience to wait their turn. Hence, hello transfer portal.
Doesn’t seem to be a problem at bama. UGA. And other programs where actions have consequences, excellence is demanded and toughness is required.

Our guys don’t lose PT for breaking curfew to sneak out and party. There’s no contact in practice. Dudes can get 15 yard penalties game after game while underperforming, and still the better players sit. Players want to hit the portal because they know what a soft, loser mentality looks like.

This isn’t a generational issue. 2001 wasn’t that long ago and not that much has changed. The is a cultural problem that’s been allowed to get worse every year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back