Interesting comments from Ed Reed (Re: Getting the U back to glory)

Advertisement
Love Ed, but his role on this administration needs to come to an end. Let the man get back to smoking cigars, drinking cognac and setting up tee times.

#20 is a selfless, ***-busting, no frills, master of his craft, old school player—and old soul even by 2001 standards; the combination of how he rolls, as well as the lack of power and say he has within the program—it's a waste of everyone's time

E-Reed makes sense in a football role if you had a real head coach, an Alonzo Highsmith as a player personnel type guy, a real AD that knows the importance of football and a board of trustees green lighting writing fat checks to chase rings.

Anything less and you're just trotting Reed out as a mascot the cameras can cut to on the sideline during games. UM has a muscle car in the garage here with Reed and they're driving it at 14 mph in a school zone. Dude could be a HUGE asset, but only if he has the power to do so

Such a wasted hire not letting him do what he could be doing for this program. One of the greatest football minds to come through this program—and he's taking orders from a slapdick like Manny Diaz. Pathetic.

can someone make a screenshot so that we can turn this into a meme pls
20211027_103521.jpg

Love Ed, but his role on this administration needs to come to an end. Let the man get back to smoking cigars, drinking cognac and setting up tee times.

#20 is a selfless, ***-busting, no frills, master of his craft, old school player—and old soul even by 2001 standards; the combination of how he rolls, as well as the lack of power and say he has within the program—it's a waste of everyone's time

E-Reed makes sense in a football role if you had a real head coach, an Alonzo Highsmith as a player personnel type guy, a real AD that knows the importance of football and a board of trustees green lighting writing fat checks to chase rings.

Anything less and you're just trotting Reed out as a mascot the cameras can cut to on the sideline during games. UM has a muscle car in the garage here with Reed and they're driving it at 14 mph in a school zone. Dude could be a HUGE asset, but only if he has the power to do so

Such a wasted hire not letting him do what he could be doing for this program. One of the greatest football minds to come through this program—and he's taking orders from a slapdick like Manny Diaz. Pathetic.
He was hired to shut us up… but he IS doing what he can behind the scenes. He’s trying to make sure they do things like film study and other off field things, and provide some level of accountability. He’s also been involved in on campus recruiting.

ER is a legend. It’s unfortunate that the HC isn’t secure enough to take full advantage of him. That said, the man loves this U and is trying to push the team along in the right direction. I’m of the opinion that shlt would be even more embarrassing without him. Suggesting he’s been a waste of time is disrespectful on a lot of levels.

Advertisement
He shows up plenty....One of the most intelligent former Canes I have ever known...Ed has too much couth to spout off what he really thinks about the state of the program, especially in his position now.
Agreed. If he made a bunch of statements or accusations, being linked to this group would tarnish himself. He has enough moxie to know when to speak up in private. That is what he is there for. He is a keep it in locker room old school style.

Advertisement
He was hired to shut us up… but he IS doing what he can behind the scenes. He’s trying to make sure they do things like film study and other off field things, and provide some level of accountability. He’s also been involved in on campus recruiting.

ER is a legend. It’s unfortunate that the HC isn’t secure enough to take full advantage of him. That said, the man loves this U and is trying to push the team along in the right direction. I’m of the opinion that shlt would be even more embarrassing without him. Suggesting he’s been a waste of time is disrespectful on a lot of levels.
What a load of ****, he's a figurehead who's collecting a paycheck for doing god knows what exactly, nothing more nothing less. This corny idol worship some of you have for former players is disturbing.

Nah. If you paid attention to what was going on, you’d know what he does, what he hasn’t done and why. But some dudes just can’t help but acti like a 12 year old girl with her first bout of PMS.
There were multiple times in the Michigan State game where Ed would be talking to Manny trying to explain something or probably saying , " we should do this" and Diaz literally walked off on Ed while he was still talking. Very disrespectful

Advertisement
UM Football got a championship pedigree, but a dollar store culture.

We'll NEVER return to our glory days without the coaches and administration working together to do the heavy lifting to eradicate half-assed attitudes

Saw this on The Ringer's "Slow News Day" by Kevin Clark (a UM grad). He interviewed Ed Reed and asked an interesting question at the 7:10 mark.

Some of his "subtle" comments:
  • "Understanding and patience"
  • "People humbling themselves"
  • "Players taking hold of this thing"
  • "Take some people shutting up" - Kevin followed up on this one and Ed responded "it's for whoever it's for"
  • "Taking some coaching and teaching"

Really interested to know who he's referring to on the humble + shut-up comments.

Some of us are missing the body language After Kevin said BIG WIN.

Advertisement
Diaz wants No input from former Canes whatsoever....which is moronic...
I love the former Canes, but hear me out. The mentality and the way they won and acted, unfortunately is not realistic anymore.

I know it is different, but I'm in my first year coaching high school ball and it is insane how different the kids are from when I played less than 10 years ago. Every generation says this, but way more positive reinforcement is needed, honestly negative reinforcement pretty much can't be used or the kids will turn off. We are a top ten team in the state and we will have dudes not show up the next day if they get yelled at. Getting kids to focus is half the battle. They just have way too much stimulation in their life. Ironically, the kid's are way more social and never stop talking. Thankfully we have two or three kids who are old schooled, but that's not the case for the majority of schools.

It pains me to say this, but I feel like kids today would rather goof around, have fun with their boys/coaches then actually win. Obviously winning is important to them, but its not the end all be all for them. It's probably the third most important thing.

1. Have fun
2. Playing time
3. Team performance

I really don't blame Manny for not seeking out input when it comes to coaching and managing players, the majority of them can't relate to kids today, shiiit I barely can. Man we had kids ***** and moan because they had to run 5 gassers across the field all week after we played bad. Ed Reed and those guys used to do 100 yard sprints after practice out of habit.

I love the former Canes, but hear me out. The mentality and the way they won and acted, unfortunately is not realistic anymore.

I know it is different, but I'm in my first year coaching high school ball and it is insane how different the kids are from when I played less than 10 years ago. Every generation says this, but way more positive reinforcement is needed, honestly negative reinforcement pretty much can't be used or the kids will turn off. We are a top ten team in the state and we will have dudes not show up the next day if they get yelled at. Getting kids to focus is half the battle. They just have way too much stimulation in their life. Ironically, the kid's are way more social and never stop talking. Thankfully we have two or three kids who are old schooled, but that's not the case for the majority of schools.

It pains me to say this, but I feel like kids today would rather goof around, have fun with their boys/coaches then actually win. Obviously winning is important to them, but its not the end all be all for them. It's probably the third most important thing.

1. Have fun
2. Playing time
3. Team performance

I really don't blame Manny for not seeking out input when it comes to coaching and managing players, the majority of them can't relate to kids today, shiiit I barely can. Man we had kids ***** and moan because they had to run 5 gassers across the field all week after we played bad. Ed Reed and those guys used to do 100 yard sprints after practice out of habit.
Ed and company practiced and worked out like Crazy....and @Poopscoop will vouch for that because he was one of them...Practices back then made today's look like a walk on the beach..

Advertisement
Back