Interesting comments from Ed Reed (Re: Getting the U back to glory)

It pains me to say this, but I feel like kids today would rather goof around, have fun with their boys/coaches then actually win. Obviously winning is important to them, but its not the end all be all for them. It's probably the third most important thing.

1. Have fun
2. Playing time
3. Team performance

I really don't blame Manny for not seeking out input when it comes to coaching and managing players, the majority of them can't relate to kids today, shiiit I barely can. Man we had kids ***** and moan because they had to run 5 gassers across the field all week after we played bad. Ed Reed and those guys used to do 100 yard sprints after practice out of habit.

I'm not sure the players at Bama and other winning programs feel that way. Its always Miami players.....

Ed Eeed and most the of the Canes in that era are in their 40's. How is it they cannot relate to kids but the average age of P5 coaches is around 50.

Are we really just throwing out anything and hope it sticks.

Advertisement
Ed and company practiced and worked out like Crazy....and @Poopscoop will vouch for that because he was one of them...Practices back then made today's look like a walk on the beach..
No doubting here, with kids and the new rules today, practices just are not intense at all man like they used to be. You really need to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get the juices going today. And if you get the intensity going, you're lucky if it sustains for just that working period of the practice.

I'm not sure the players at Bama and other winning programs feel that way. Its always Miami players.....

Ed Eeed and most the of the Canes in that era are in their 40's. How is it they cannot relate to kids but the average age of P5 coaches is around 50.

Are we really just throwing out anything and hope it sticks.
You missed the point. The point is that the old school mentality that the old Canes have is no longer relatable and realistic. Those P5 coaches can relate because they have adjusted towards more positive reinforcement. Ask any coach that has been in the game for over 10 years and they will tell you they have adjusted their coaching style from then to the present day. Grade A example is Bill Belichick. He has drastically changed over the past 2 years alone because he knows kids coming into the league are just different.

The old school Canes think the solution to fix the Miami program is to implemented the mentality and practices they had. The problem is that the vast majority of kids do not want that smoke and the rules don't allow you to do Oklahoma or nut cracker hitting drills.

Like a guy like Jimmy Johnson would not be able to coach today with the style he had back in the day.

Last edited:
Advertisement
No doubting here, with kids and the new rules today, practices just are not intense at all man like they used to be. You really need to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get the juices going today. And if you get the intensity going, you're lucky if it sustains for just that working period of the practice.
Not true at all. The entire country has the same parameters to follow. I've watched practices at usc,Oregon,Illinois,bama & Georgia within the last two years and they don't have the same problem we have when it relates to this. Mandy will write it off as we practice with Pete Carroll standard of not tackling to the ground etc... Well guess what, that's not Pete Carroll standard at all. I've watched Seahawks practices multiple times from just last season when AC was there and I was in town. His standard is tackling proper technique. Big difference between proper technique and just simply not tackling. On top of that the rules that were put in place have alot more to do with off season camps & far less to do with in season and how ineffective you conduct the practices you are able to have. Again no matter how much some of you condone this and pussify this staph, our current predicament has far too much to do with the fact the head man and far too many of his stooges just aren't football players themselves and don't know how to teach technique as a result...

Not true at all. The entire country has the same parameters to follow. I've watched practices at usc,Oregon,Illinois,bama & Georgia within the last two years and they don't have the same problem we have when it relates to this. Mandy will write it off as we practice with Pete Carroll standard of not tackling to the ground etc... Well guess what, that's not Pete Carroll standard at all. I've watched Seahawks practices multiple times from just last season when AC was there and I was in town. His standard is tackling proper technique. Big difference between proper technique and just simply not tackling. On top of that the rules that were put in place have alot more to do with off season camps & far less to do with in season and how ineffective you conduct the practices you are able to have. Again no matter how much some of you condone this and pussify this staph, our current predicament has far too much to do with the fact the head man and far too many of his stooges just aren't football players themselves and don't know how to teach technique as a result...
I was speaking more on the HS level especially in the area I'm in. I have no clue how Miami practices are run other than the quick clips I see from reporters.

Here is a good article on how rules changes have impacted practices at the D1 level https://www.si.com/college/2021/05/05/ncaa-football-fall-camp-changes-safety

"At an Oversight subgroup meeting on Wednesday afternoon, committee members are expected to finalize the modifications. While the new rules keep the number of preseason practices (25) over the same amount of days (29), they regulate the type of practices coaches can hold.

The new system is being referred to as an 8-9-8 model: eight practices in helmets, nine in shells (helmet and shoulder pads), eight in full pads. Under current rules, coaches are required to hold the first two practices in helmets and the next two in shells with the remaining days unregulated.

Most coaches do not operate 21 days of full pads, but some hold as many as 21 days in at least shells. For many, the new policy is a difference of two to four practices in only helmets rather than shells.

“For us, it will impact a couple of practices,” says Troy Calhoun, the longtime coach at Air Force who says he normally has his team in full pads or shells in about 19–20 days of camp."

In shell you cannot tackle to the ground

From when I played college ball 5 years ago thats pretty different than what we had.

I know on the High School level we can't do two-a-days anymore unless the second practice is a walkthrough.

When it comes to in-season practices, I have no idea what the rules are for that, but yes Pete Carrolls standard of tackling does require you to go to the ground. I have no idea how Miami would practice it without going to the ground haha as a Coach though I would want to dramatically limit the amount of times guys touch the ground tackling each other in-season.

I'm not defending Diaz or saying he should be here. All I am saying is that the game is dramatically different than it was 20 years ago. Mordern Problems, modern solutions. I'd much rather be able to do it old school, but you can't anymore.

Last edited:
All this makes sense, but the real question is back when you practiced, if you hit 20 mph did you get a chocolate cupcake and the rest of practice off?

I was speaking more on the HS level especially in the area I'm in. I have no clue how Miami practices are run other than the quick clips I see from reporters.

Here is a good article on how rules changes have impacted practices at the D1 level https://www.si.com/college/2021/05/05/ncaa-football-fall-camp-changes-safety

"At an Oversight subgroup meeting on Wednesday afternoon, committee members are expected to finalize the modifications. While the new rules keep the number of preseason practices (25) over the same amount of days (29), they regulate the type of practices coaches can hold.

The new system is being referred to as an 8-9-8 model: eight practices in helmets, nine in shells (helmet and shoulder pads), eight in full pads. Under current rules, coaches are required to hold the first two practices in helmets and the next two in shells with the remaining days unregulated.

Most coaches do not operate 21 days of full pads, but some hold as many as 21 days in at least shells. For many, the new policy is a difference of two to four practices in only helmets rather than shells.

“For us, it will impact a couple of practices,” says Troy Calhoun, the longtime coach at Air Force who says he normally has his team in full pads or shells in about 19–20 days of camp."

In shell you cannot tackle to the ground

From when I played college ball 5 years ago thats pretty different than what we had.

I know on the High School level we can't do two-a-days anymore unless the second practice is a walkthrough.

When it comes to in-season practices, I have no idea what the rules are for that, but yes Pete Carrolls standard of tackling does require you to go to the ground. I have no idea how Miami would practice it without going to the ground haha as a Coach though I would want to dramatically limit the amount of times guys touch the ground tackling each other in-season.

I'm not defending Diaz or saying he should be here. All I am saying is that the game is dramatically different than it was 20 years ago. Mordern Problems, modern solutions. I'd much rather be able to do it old school, but you can't anymore.
I know the articles brother. I know the policies. Those relate to off season camps. Not in season. In shells you shouldn't be having FULL contact regardless other than when it's simply in house (no coaches) Regardless of all this NCAA policy, one thing sarge taught all of us, drilled it into our heads actually, is certain rules are simply meant to be broke. All programs that are built to win police themselves and pick and choose what's meant to be treaded on. When you have real leadership this is a given. From staff to players to compliance. There is a line you can walk clearly as one... What goes on here now is without much coherence or direction. Everyone is its own unit & compliance will happily send us in. Strawley single handedly deals with compliance. *** backwards as it is. Also myself I don't know high school rules etc but while I would certainly want to control the level of physicality in my practices, there is no way in **** I'd simply eliminate physicality as a whole. All the things that should be engrained in you fundamentally as a football player we've eliminated by pussifying our practices and our approach to the game. This used car salesman came in and immediately started preaching getting us back to the things that made Miami football unique and in that same breath he changed even the basics that gave us that edge...

Advertisement
All this makes sense, but the real question is back when you practiced, if you hit 20 mph did you get a chocolate cupcake and the rest of practice off?
That's when u know ur ****ed. When the dude in charge of ur s & c can only preach how instrumental it is to have things strapped onto us that can show what a kid is running and what his hbpm is... Thank God for that. Don't know what we did before that was an option.

That's when u know ur ****ed. When the dude in charge of ur s & c can only preach how instrumental it is to have things strapped onto us that can show what a kid is running and what his hbpm is... Thank God for that. Don't know what we did before that was an option.
I may be mistaken and you would know better, but I think the MPH tracker started at Bama and is still being used there and elsewhere. The problem is Manny and company forgot to implement the rest of the program, nutrition, and culture. He took the shiny toy part and none of the rest.

I may be mistaken and you would know better, but I think the MPH tracker started at Bama and is still being used there and elsewhere. The problem is Manny and company forgot to implement the rest of the program, nutrition, and culture. He took the shiny toy part and none of the rest.
It's used everywhere. But the point is it's A tool. Not THE tool. It's simply a small piece of a LARGE puzzle.

Advertisement
I know the articles brother. I know the policies. Those relate to off season camps. Not in season. In shells you shouldn't be having FULL contact regardless other than when it's simply in house (no coaches) Regardless of all this NCAA policy, one thing sarge taught all of us, drilled it into our heads actually, is certain rules are simply meant to be broke. All programs that are built to win police themselves and pick and choose what's meant to be treaded on. When you have real leadership this is a given. From staff to players to compliance. There is a line you can walk clearly as one... What goes on here now is without much coherence or direction. Everyone is its own unit & compliance will happily send us in. Strawley single handedly deals with compliance. *** backwards as it is. Also myself I don't know high school rules etc but while I would certainly want to control the level of physicality in my practices, there is no way in **** I'd simply eliminate physicality as a whole. All the things that should be engrained in you fundamentally as a football player we've eliminated by pussifying our practices and our approach to the game. This used car salesman came in and immediately started preaching getting us back to the things that made Miami football unique and in that same breath he changed even the basics that gave us that edge...
Appreciate the insight.

There were multiple times in the Michigan State game where Ed would be talking to Manny trying to explain something or probably saying , " we should do this" and Diaz literally walked off on Ed while he was still talking. Very disrespectful
Again Mandy thinks he's the smartest dude & don't listen to NO ONE...

Advertisement
He shows up plenty....One of the most intelligent former Canes I have ever known...Ed has too much couth to spout off what he really thinks about the state of the program, especially in his position now.

Who gives a **** if he's intelligent when he's not around to help daily. And nothing he said in that interview was that intelligent, its cliched ****. amazing player but wrong hire for role

Who gives a **** if he's intelligent when he's not around to help daily. And nothing he said in that interview was that intelligent, its cliched ****. amazing player but wrong hire for role
He was literally hand picked by Mandy for that exact reason. All the pull he has in and out of the football community,the street cred etc, but most importantly the fact that his time is spoken for often and he can't dedicate himself to day in and day out. Ed is doing EXACTLY what he came in for & he's handling this **** with class cause he can't stand Mandy now. Yet he doesn't speak out and he keeps things to himself. Instead of complaining about what he's not doing y'all should be extremely grateful for what he does... Cause trust me he's the one closing alot of these kids and keeping them in check at the same point.

He was literally hand picked by Mandy for that exact reason. All the pull he has in and out of the football community,the street cred etc, but most importantly the fact that his time is spoken for often and he can't dedicate himself to day in and day out. Ed is doing EXACTLY what he came in for & he's handling this **** with class cause he can't stand Mandy now. Yet he doesn't speak out and he keeps things to himself. Instead of complaining about what he's not doing y'all should be extremely grateful for what he does... Cause trust me he's the one closing alot of these kids and keeping them in check at the same point.
And his efforts are much appreciated!

Look at our practice videos that are posted weekly by canesport or whoever. It’s softer than ****. Meanwhile I see other school hitting. Gimme a break. Oh and btw many here believe a lot of our injury problems are in fact because we don’t hit enough. You need to get used to contact and it will in turn help your balance and absorbing of hits

Advertisement
Back