Interesting breakdown of the ‘88 class and where they were from...

It was a different Miami back then.
A lot of the local recruits were academically weak--either poor grades, bad test scores, or both. Prop 48's. JJ hated Prop 48's. Decided to expand recruiting beyond south Florida. Looked more nationally (but not to north Florida or SEC country where we had very little appeal.)

I recall hearing the Dade kids were often weak academically and friends down there commented on poor quality of schools.

We had to pass over a lot of local kids

Advertisement
Hopefully many knows this.

There are kids all over that want to be part of the U.

Kids in Houston, NY, NJ love THE U. Need to recruit there more heavily
Under JJ we recruited Houston heavily and liked Jersey as well.

Over the years we went into and dropped out of areas as we hired or lost coaches who knew an area. With Curtis Johnson under Butch, we went heavily into Louisiana-- hence, Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne. Brennan Carroll and we tried California more heavily (with little success.) Richt went more into Georgia. Hubbard Alexander and Chicago and Memphis. Kehoe tried to get more from Pennsylvania.

Under JJ we recruited Houston heavily and liked Jersey as well.

Over the years we went into and dropped out of areas as we hired or lost coaches who knew an area. With Curtis Johnson under Butch, we went heavily into Louisiana-- hence, Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne. Brennan Carroll and we tried California more heavily (with little success.) Richt went more into Georgia. Hubbard Alexander and Chicago and Memphis. Kehoe tried to get more from Pennsylvania.

I'm pretty sure Kehoe is a PA native. Didn't he recruit McMeans from Lackawanna JC?

I'm pretty sure Kehoe is a PA native. Didn't he recruit McMeans from Lackawanna JC?
Kehoe is from Philadelphia area. Maybe Conshohocken or whatever that place is. Don't remember exactly. I think he got us McKinney from Lackawanna. Maybe McMeans too. Don't remember.

Advertisement
Not sure what a transepfer is, but doesn't sound good.

It is result of Marist education which insisted I was way to smart for typing in HS and would always have a secretary. Ego, can’t type would a crap and auto correct seems to make it worse. That does sound bad so I’m not touching it.

True test of a class might be the percentage that turn out to be real contributors. Here the percentage is fairly high. Look at JJ's first two classes. They were much worse.
My guess is JJ had not learned yet to just let Butch pick them.

Football in Florida has really taken football to another level over the past 15 years!!! Look at the nfl and draft every year now.

Advertisement
Miami needs to recruit the whole country. Our best teams have always had great players from all over.

I'm not saying we shouldn't recruit South Florida, or that we should recruit it any less hard. But we're not ever going to build a wall around the state of Miami... I think we all know that by now. There's going to be a Jerry Jeudy, Tyrique Stevenson, Tyson Campbell, etc every year.

So instead of crying about the kids that leave, and instead of dropping to the next tier of South Florida kid, what we should be doing is recruiting elite kids from all over the country.

If we lose Tyrique Stevenson but gain Bubba Bolden, we're no worse off. Just do that for every position, and we're good.

Not sure it was all Butch. Talked to people back then who said it was JJ who had uncanny ability to discern a kid's athletic potential. I heard that he could even look at a kid's parents and figure that out.

I think issue with first two years was that JJ hadn't figured how to deal with our unique recruiting situation, especially our competition. We used to have real battles with FSU and Notre Dame.

Not sure it was all Butch. Talked to people back then who said it was JJ who had uncanny ability to discern a kid's athletic potential. I heard that he could even look at a kid's parents and figure that out
Miami needs to recruit the whole country. Our best teams have always had great players from all over.

I'm not saying we shouldn't recruit South Florida, or that we should recruit it any less hard. But we're not ever going to build a wall around the state of Miami... I think we all know that by now. There's going to be a Jerry Jeudy, Tyrique Stevenson, Tyson Campbell, etc every year.

So instead of crying about the kids that leave, and instead of dropping to the next tier of South Florida kid, what we should be doing is recruiting elite kids from all over the country.

If we lose Tyrique Stevenson but gain Bubba Bolden, we're no worse off. Just do that for every position, and we're good.
Build a wall? Gotta try...walls are good.

Advertisement
That good?

Gibbs was truly great. He was dominating scout team practices back in 89. I used to attend practices back in the day and he was a powerfully built scat back type that had speed. He was going to a good one.

Not as many from south Florida. And I’m a south Florida guy.
This class went on to win a lot.

LOL...if we're going by the state of miami as the HC of the 88 team stated and defined then you got about 13 guys from state of miami/south florida.

Nice try

Advertisement
Contrary to what many think, none of our championship teams were predominantly sofla guys - it was always a good mix.

88 class was real good and the 89 class combined to make it a great 2 year haul. Probably best 2 hear haul we’ve had.

What would have been with Kevin Gibbs - he was a stud. RIP

Is there an accompanying picture to OP?

You can's use traditional south fla as we know it today....you have to use Howard's state of miami definition that he used in 88.

Schnellenberger and his staff began concentrating on prospects from high schools in what he calls ''the state of Miami,'' which he interprets as that part of Florida below an imaginary line drawn eastward across Florida from Tampa.

''Eighty-five percent of our recruiting time is spent on kids in the state of Miami,'' Schnellenberger said. ''And 85 percent of the kids on our team are from the state of Miami.''

Dude this was ******* 31 years ago!!! You know what 31 years are? Egyptians wouldnt even last 31 years on average! **** has changed. The landscape has chaged.

Advertisement
Back