Interesting breakdown of the ‘88 class and where they were from...

5XNC

Senior

Advertisement
Advertisement
Loved McGuire. Went to fork union for pg football right after him. Was told a funny story about him when I got to fork union.

Advertisement
Not as many from south Florida. And I’m a south Florida guy.
This class went on to win a lot.

Contrary to what many think, none of our championship teams were predominantly sofla guys - it was always a good mix.

88 class was real good and the 89 class combined to make it a great 2 year haul. Probably best 2 hear haul we’ve had.

What would have been with Kevin Gibbs - he was a stud. RIP

Is there an accompanying picture to OP?

Advertisement
Advertisement
So, as a PG football player at fuma (vinny also went there), you are there for 2 reasons. You either were a top recruit or had a scholarship waiting but didn’t have grades and went to get your test score or you wanted more expose. I assume McGuire was just there b/c he wasn’t well known.
Fuma is in the middle of nowhere. They have buses on Friday’s that take cadets to Richmond airport or to a main town as you could leave campus every other weekend. McGuire was in his barracks, not expecting to leave, got a call from jimmy to get to the airport and there would be a ticket waiting for him. He sprinted down the driveway to catch the bus to Airport in sweats and caught the bus and flight and was offered on his visit and never returned to fuma.
We had guys who already signed with schools and if their test scores came in Jan or feb or they signed in feb they just left fuma. They didn’t need to stay the whole year.
So, McGuire got his offer on his visit and never returned. For me it was a cool story the next year b/c I was a huge canes fan and people knew.
People knew he got the call from jimmy or whoever recruited him and he was seen sprinting the bus and his roommates never saw him again, until he was on tv.

On Facebook, search and like “ghosts of the orange bowl”. Lots of cool stories/photos/memories of anything associated with the OB.

The pic says file too large to upload.

Advertisement
Back