Interesting breakdown of the ‘88 class and where they were from...

Advertisement
Contrary to what many think, none of our championship teams were predominantly sofla guys - it was always a good mix.

88 class was real good and the 89 class combined to make it a great 2 year haul. Probably best 2 hear haul we’ve had.

What would have been with Kevin Gibbs - he was a stud. RIP

Is there an accompanying picture to OP?
The 2001 team had 53 players from the state of Florida & 36 of them were from South FLA.

The 2001 team had 53 players from the state of Florida & 36 of them were from South FLA.

Hah, kudos to you for looking it up. My comment was two fold - out of all the instate schools (Uf and fsu) we always have the lowest amount of in state kids and 36 of 85 is not predominantly :)

Hah, kudos to you for looking it up. My comment was two fold - out of all the instate schools (Uf and fsu) we always have the lowest amount of in state kids and 36 of 85 is not predominantly :)
I got it, but there were more players from FL on the 2001 team than any other state & the majority of them were from South FL.

I do agree with the sentiment that our best teams are never just all South Fla though.

I got it, but there were more players from FL on the 2001 team than any other state & the majority of them were from South FL.

I do agree with the sentiment that our best teams are never just all South Fla though.

Hopefully many knows this.

There are kids all over that want to be part of the U.

Kids in Houston, NY, NJ love THE U. Need to recruit there more heavily

Advertisement
I'd forgotten some names on there: Pharms and Spencer were also pretty good and underrated, Bell was an underrated but small tight end, and gotta love Caesar.

Advertisement

Well, naturally that’s always going to be the case but it’s never as much as people think it has been or think it should be.

by 88, Jimmy had really mastered recruiting, his last two classes were really deep with standouts and guys who contributed to national titles

Carlos Etheredge is from my home town and my high school. Never new him, but always knew he played at the U! Good to see his name again

Advertisement
Back then you could count the number of South Florida players on the UF roster on two hands. UG stayed out of South Florida, believe it or not.

Carlos Etheredge is from my home town and my high school. Never new him, but always knew he played at the U! Good to see his name again
He was recruited by Hubbard Alexander, I'm quite sure. There was a HS coach in one of the other cities Alexander used to recruit--either Memphis or Chicago-- by the same name.

EDIT: Looked it up and there was a Carlos Etheredge who coached at various times at Douglass, East and Melrose high schools in Memphis. I know we got at least one of his former players. We used to recruit Memphis and Chicago a lot more when Hubbard Alexander was an assistant. I can't remember which player and from what school. I suspect the Carlos Etheredge who played for us from New Mexico was his nephew.

Last edited:
Advertisement
by 88, Jimmy had really mastered recruiting, his last two classes were really deep with standouts and guys who contributed to national titles
We still lost a lot of recruiting battles on those last two classes. A lot.

So, as a PG football player at fuma (vinny also went there), you are there for 2 reasons. You either were a top recruit or had a scholarship waiting but didn’t have grades and went to get your test score or you wanted more expose. I assume McGuire was just there b/c he wasn’t well known.
Fuma is in the middle of nowhere. They have buses on Friday’s that take cadets to Richmond airport or to a main town as you could leave campus every other weekend. McGuire was in his barracks, not expecting to leave, got a call from jimmy to get to the airport and there would be a ticket waiting for him. He sprinted down the driveway to catch the bus to Airport in sweats and caught the bus and flight and was offered on his visit and never returned to fuma.
We had guys who already signed with schools and if their test scores came in Jan or feb or they signed in feb they just left fuma. They didn’t need to stay the whole year.
So, McGuire got his offer on his visit and never returned. For me it was a cool story the next year b/c I was a huge canes fan and people knew.
People knew he got the call from jimmy or whoever recruited him and he was seen sprinting the bus and his roommates never saw him again, until he was on tv.
Story I heard was that JJ first met McGuire at NY Athletic Club when he went there for Vinnie's Heisman award. The NYAC just awarded McGuire their high school Heisman. They gave it to relatively unheralded local HS stud McGuire. I guess JJ didn't know much about him but got interested and we might have helped place him at Fork Union. I think he had to get his grades up but don't know the rest of the story.

I can tell you less attention seemed to be placed on NYC area recruiting than other parts of the country. A few years later-1990--I found myself living up there and got a call from the area recruiter, DL coach Bob Karmelowicz, and was surprised to find him looking at a number of Brooklyn kids. I think Brooklyn Poly was one school in particular with some talent.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back