Interesting breakdown of the ‘88 class and where they were from...

Not sure it was all Butch. Talked to people back then who said it was JJ who had uncanny ability to discern a kid's athletic potential. I heard that he could even look at a kid's parents and figure that out

Build a wall? Gotta try...walls are good.

Yeah, JJ had skills, but as great as the classes JJ recruited were, I don’t think they compare to what Butch put together as HC. The one place I would say JJs classes were better was maybe DTs. The ratio of first round picks to scholorships Butch had to offer was sick. That said, there is no slack on either of them. Of course JJ gets credit for Butch since that is off his tree.

Advertisement
Schnellenberger and his staff began concentrating on prospects from high schools in what he calls ''the state of Miami,'' which he interprets as that part of Florida below an imaginary line drawn eastward across Florida from Tampa.

''Eighty-five percent of our recruiting time is spent on kids in the state of Miami,'' Schnellenberger said. ''And 85 percent of the kids on our team are from the state of Miami.''
Not knowing the figures, I'll bet JJ moved off of that. After a bad experience with non-qualifiers and prop-48s his first year or two, Johnson expressed his frustration and and decided to "go up the road" to find qualified players. I remember him using thise words. I think prop 48 came in after Howard left.

I don't really remember, but the prospect of tighter academic requirements looming--of which I think Howard was aware, might have been an under-publicized reason for his departure.

Yeah, JJ had skills, but as great as the classes JJ recruited were, I don’t think they compare to what Butch put together as HC. The one place I would say JJs classes were better was maybe DTs. The ratio of first round picks to scholorships Butch had to offer was sick. That said, there is no slack on either of them. Of course JJ gets credit for Butch since that is off his tree.

I can't make the comparison but how many excellent DTs did JJ bring in: Russ Maryland, Cortez Kennedy, Jimmie Jones. Two first rounders there, and a guy who signed a record FA contract for a DT when he left the the Cowboys.

How many did Butch sign? Wilfork, Joseph first round? Who else?

I don't remember.

Gibbs was truly great. He was dominating scout team practices back in 89. I used to attend practices back in the day and he was a powerfully built scat back type that had speed. He was going to a good one.
Practices were open? To the public? During the season.

Advertisement
Back