Interesting breakdown of Gattis's redzone calls.

We just seem to continue to revert back to this no matter who our HC is - I can't explain it.

The 2 kids on the team I talk to seem to believe they're implementing some new stuff this week.. stuff they installed but haven't really used. More simplistic and closer to last year. Thursday last week was just too late to make that call.

I have a very loose association to the current admin structure. It’s how I knew about a few of the recruits who decided to leave the state.

In any case, that’s not what I’ve heard. They’re back to work and the playbook is exactly the same for this week. Same formations and rotations. Same tempo and verbiage.

They MAY look at is integrating some old concepts and play calls from last year with a different blocking scheme up front, but that’s going to put the UNC game in major jeopardy.

Week 6 of the regular season is no time to be putting in scheme changes.

Advertisement
Y’all are all discounting the fact that lashlee couldn’t run the ball with cards he was dealt. I think his scheme overall would be much better with Mario and Mirabel.. just saying
seriously this. we didnt have Mario as the oL coach w lashlee. gattis run concepts are better no doubt, but the OL coach makes a diff

I have a very loose association to the current admin structure. It’s how I knew about a few of the recruits who decided to leave the state.

In any case, that’s not what I’ve heard. They’re back to work and the playbook is exactly the same for this week. Same formations and rotations. Same tempo and verbiage.

They MAY look at is integrating some old concepts and play calls from last year with a different blocking scheme up front, but that’s going to put the UNC game in major jeopardy.

This doesn't surprise me in the least....smfh

F*ck that's painful. Other than clearly having an ax to grind, this guy's pretty much on the money. He says Gattic can't call plays, but most of what he showed was the players not executing. Yes, that's on Gattis.

Fine, Gattis is f*cking up, but at least CiS can blame him for the right things. His problem isn't that he can't call plays, it's that he's not getting good performances out of his guys. His WR aren't getting open, catching, or blocking. They didn't get open enough, but they did enough that if they could catch or block I think we would have won.

And TVD? Get off his ***, who's he going to throw to? WR aren't getting open, and when they are they don't catch the ball. That's not on the QB or the OC, it's on the WRs and/or the WR coach. And we all know who that is.
The last part of your post is 100% the truth, tough to make quick decisions when your WR’s are blanketed. And some of the misses I believe were on the wideouts not running precise routes.

Now as an OC, Gattis needs to have a come to Jesus moment and look at what made TVD tick last year and make some changes to the passing concepts, scheme guys open. We don’t have all-American route runners. I will say he’s got bud working in the run game, need to get more out of the play action.

Advertisement
Yall expect coaches to throw out the playbook after 3 games? Be serious man. We made 4 trips into the red zone and got like 6 points. Muffed a punt in our area leading to their first TD and 2 missed FGs. Outgained them by over 100 yards away from home. Im not defending anything or anyone. But our players have to step up, the WR and TVD need to step up and execute the plays. Even if you think Gattis called bad plays, he called enough good ones to win the game with proper execution. Blaming this on Gattis alone and think he should bring Lashlee playbook back is not realistic. He needs to make adjustments but the players have to execute and make plays when they are there.

The last part of your post is 100% the truth, tough to make quick decisions when your WR’s are blanketed. And some of the misses I believe were on the wideouts not running precise routes.

Now as an OC, Gattis needs to have a come to Jesus moment and look at what made TVD tick last year and make some changes to the passing concepts, scheme guys open. We don’t have all-American route runners. I will say he’s got bud working in the run game, need to get more out of the play action.
Yes! Let’s give Gattis a minute to adjust. But it shouldn’t take long if you are the best assistant in college football! Broyles? Actually should have been done before the week 3 game IMO. But everyone bashing the guy that done the podcast, Zach smith, he does hate gattis. No doubt. But he was Hartline at OSU before hartline. Who most of you love! He started that ****. And Urban lost his career at OSU for this guy that has questionable character. He knows football better than most I guess. Duh. He hates gattis. Yes! He ain’t wrong with anything he broke down. Get out your feelings, accept that harbaugh called Michigan plays last year, and locksley called them when he was at Bama. He needs to get better, we shouldn’t lose anymore til Clemson. And I don’t think we should concede that one.

Advertisement

This. Anyone expecting this offense to look different is fooling themselves. This will be a "back to basics" game where they'll primarily run the ball and mix in some PA. There are no magic bullets with this offense - it is what it is and we are not good enough to "save the playbook".

Besides, I'm sure the coaches have convinced themselves that outside of situational playcalling (ie. RZ), there's nothing wrong with the offense.

This. Anyone expecting this offense to look different is fooling themselves. This will be a "back to basics" game where they'll primarily run the ball and mix in some PA. There are no magic bullets with this offense - it is what it is and we are not good enough to "save the playbook".

Besides, I'm sure the coaches have convinced themselves that outside of situational playcalling (ie. RZ), there's nothing wrong with the offense.

The scary part is the conversation around making substantial changes in the bye week.

If they do that, it’ll tell you everything you need to know about this season and team. And by that, it looks like they’re less interested in winning this year and more in program building.

That would be insanely disappointing.

F*ck that's painful. Other than clearly having an ax to grind, this guy's pretty much on the money. He says Gattic can't call plays, but most of what he showed was the players not executing. Yes, that's on Gattis.

Fine, Gattis is f*cking up, but at least CiS can blame him for the right things. His problem isn't that he can't call plays, it's that he's not getting good performances out of his guys. His WR aren't getting open, catching, or blocking. They didn't get open enough, but they did enough that if they could catch or block I think we would have won.

And TVD? Get off his ***, who's he going to throw to? WR aren't getting open, and when they are they don't catch the ball. That's not on the QB or the OC, it's on the WRs and/or the WR coach. And we all know who that is.

1) Agree 100% on Gattis deserving criticism more-so for his role as WR coach, because something is simply not clicking there. I am not a believer that we have zero talent at the position; maybe not anyone elite, but we’ve got guys that should be much farther along than they are.

2) I’m not sure TVD has earned a pass here quite yet. Yes, a few of the drops could have made a huge difference in the game, but it’s also not debatable that TVD was simply off on a lot of his throws. A lot of that could be due to not having that timing down with most of the WRs — but that falls on TVD just as much as it does the guys he’s throwing to.

IMO, 80% on O Players right now.. 20% on OC/WR... If TVD is on point the last two games we aren't having this literal fan base insanity.. A&M was a combo of TVD and players not "making big time plays in big time moments"....

We have a OL allowing a Running Game.. Protecting the QB.. .First time since when???? We are moving the ball... Redzone was wonky, so yeah OC.... There are some obvious playmakers that need more plays... Arroyo & Rooster

outside of those O issues.. Freaking ST killed us at A&M... 2missed FG... brain fart fumbled punt by a SENIOR.... poor KickOff's and coverage.

Advertisement

Had 400 yards of offense

We had multiple drives including one that started at our own 1 and stalled at the A&M 16, that got us into the red zone

We didn’t have a single 3 and out

All this against a very good A&M defense when our star QB was “off” and our receivers dropped 5+ balls

Why wouldn’t the coaches think it’s only the situational play calling that’s the problem?

This wasn’t the Enos offense that struggled to move the ball against Central Michigan, Duke, La Tech, etc

#trumpycanethoughts

The scary part is the conversation around making substantial changes in the bye week.

If they do that, it’ll tell you everything you need to know about this season and team. And by that, it looks like they’re less interested in winning this year and more in program building.

That would be insanely disappointing.

Disagree. You can be interested in program building and winning now simultaneously. They are not mutually exclusive. Besides, I'm sure coaches see the fact that we have a favorable schedule and some nice talent on this roster to win now.

As for using the bye week to implement new stuff, I don't have a big issue with it in general since it's pretty standard operating procedure but I am not expecting wholesale changes.

Legitimate criticisms from a guy clearly with an axe to grind. I don't think Gattis sucks but concepts need some work. Redzone O was bad for several reasons. Not all attributable to Gattis.

Blocking from the receivers was pretty good in the first two games. I think the TAM players were just so much better than what UM receivers had faced so far this year. What worked against lower tier players didn't against better athletes and better coaching. Route running broke down, blocks were whiffed on, play call choice didn't work out.

ASU gave a great recipe to win against TAM. It wasn't **** but who cares if you get the W in the end. If drops were a problem in camp, what is going to change in an environment like that with an opponent like that? Run it down their throats until they are forced to adjust. The run game is clearly the strength of the offense. ASU showed you what to do. Rely on your strength. Gattis may have let his ego get in the way on this one. However, he called a good game overall. Plays were there and execution wasn't at key moments.

Thanks for posting, OP. Enough information was there to get something out of it even if they guy came into this with a dull axe.

Advertisement
Without Riggs smith jeudy waddle gattis probably doesn’t even get the Michigan job. But look as a program we have now hired two different position coaches from that team thinking they had a hand in the offense when it was in reality mike locksley

People casting off Gattis are way too eager to jump the gun. Lashlee would routinely hit a brick wall against non conference opponents who were semi decent at defense, which is what TAMU is. In fact, I shudder to think what Lashlee would've done against TAMU with his calling 3 plays in 13 seconds -- all of them pass plays -- with our terrible receivers. Our defense would've been on the field for 55 minutes.

We know this isn't going to be a good offense for a myriad of reasons, but the real judge will be when we get to ACC play.

Lashlee’s insanely lazy run game put a low ceiling on the offense. We’d never beat a great defense like that, ever.

But it’s not Lashlee vs Gattis it’s Gattis vs what other coordinators were obtainable.

Had 400 yards of offense

We had multiple drives including one that started at our own 1 and stalled at the A&M 16, that got us into the red zone

We didn’t have a single 3 and out

All this against a very good A&M defense when our star QB was “off” and our receivers dropped 5+ balls

Why wouldn’t the coaches think it’s only the situational play calling that’s the problem?

This wasn’t the Enos offense that struggled to move the ball against Central Michigan, Duke, La Tech, etc

#trumpycanethoughts

This is a good perspective, thanks for sharing sir.

Disagree. You can be interested in program building and winning now simultaneously. They are not mutually exclusive. Besides, I'm sure coaches see the fact that we have a favorable schedule and some nice talent on this roster to win now.

As for using the bye week to implement new stuff, I don't have a big issue with it in general since it's pretty standard operating procedure but I am not expecting wholesale changes.
There's implementing new stuff and then there's making substantial changes. The post you disagreed with was talking about substantial changes. Making substantial changes are like changing the mechanics of your swing in the middle of the golf course. Chances are your game will fall apart rather than improve.

If they make substantial changes, it tells me they're coaching for next year.

Advertisement
Back