Interesting article about Coaching Staffs

I don't follow NFL anymore. I like the Dolphins but I can't tell you any of the coaches except Gase. I do remember when Helfrich came here, there was a thread where everyone was really excited. Maybe that was last season, if not everyone in the thread must be fn stupid.
I'm pretty sure that it was brought up on the board at the time about Helfrich when he visited.

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure that it was brought up on the board at the time about Helfrich when he visited.
Maybe I had a brain fart but in the potential OC thread, it had to be pointed out to other people that brought him up. Obviously a lot of people don't know

Maybe I had a brain fart but in the potential OC thread, it had to be pointed out to other people that brought him up. Obviously a lot of people don't know
Yeah, i just remember him visiting a while back to talk offense with Richt. I don't follow the NFL anymore either.

Acc network wont help. UM will take that money and invest elsewhere. Joining the ACC in conjuction with Donna essentially killed this program. We could go 0-12 every year and still get that ACC money. UM will invest the new money elsewhere.

https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/bay...cle_569cb90a-00e8-5aea-bd5e-a6c1130f2391.html

Really good article about how programs particularly in the Big XII & SEC have found a loophole in the new rules for Coaching staffs.

Basically, these teams have been loading up on Analysts & these Coaches are essentially Coordinators without the official title.

Do yall think Miami could afford to add at the very least another guy to our staff? Am I walking into a Hornets nest even asking the question lol?

To me it really highlights the missed opportunity we had this offseason to add a legit X's & O's guy even as an analyst to this staff.

In spite of everything that's gone wrong in the last 15 years, we are still one of the most powerful brands in college football. The program is a great investment, so yes.

Advertisement
We can afford all that stuff. Don't let the Debbie downers fool you.

The problem is the admin really don't give a fvck about the football progrum. They will give us only the bare minimums. Year after year.

And before some ***aloon comes in squawking about IPF IPF! See they really care! Yeah thanks Jake Blames for the IPF 10 years too late.

State supported schools can raise tuitions, fees, etc and get money from state legislatures. Eventually the NCAA will have to put some sort of "cap" on these positions. The disparity between schools, money, etc. is really starting to show up.

Butch Jones (Tenn. ex-HC) was hired at Bama as an analyst for $35K a year. How is that not worth it to have an extra mind looking at things? Not that Butch is that great, but it is just another set of eyes and perspective on things.

Butch Jones (Tenn. ex-HC) was hired at Bama as an analyst for $35K a year. How is that not worth it to have an extra mind looking at things? Not that Butch is that great, but it is just another set of eyes and perspective on things.

Vol Nation is paying him 200 k a MONTH for the next 2 plus years.

Advertisement
I’d be happy to bring Jess Fisch as CO-OC/qb Coach. He can co/OC with Richt, and replace jr richt. He is a good coach I don’t care what anyone says.

At the end of the day, none of our problems over the last few games stem from lack of number of staff or insufficient $$s.

They are caused by an stubborn unimaginative HC who chose to hire a bunch of family & friends yes-men for assistants.

We could have gotten a much better staff for the same amount of money by pilfering lower programs for bright young coaches.

Miami is a resume builder and many up and coming innovative coaches would love to be here. That is where our success has been in the past. Hire hungry coaches would want to go to the next level. Not someone looking for a retirement home ...

PS. Mark had plenty of money at Ga and still stunk it up...

Last edited:
We can afford all that stuff. Don't let the Debbie downers fool you.

The problem is the admin really don't give a fvck about the football progrum. They will give us only the bare minimums. Year after year.

And before some ***aloon comes in squawking about IPF IPF! See they really care! Yeah thanks Jake Blames for the IPF 10 years too late.
It's extremely near-sighted to not realize that the football program has the highest ROI of any sport in the university and helps fund many of the other sports. The entire university community has embraced the "U" that was essentially created by the football program.

Advertisement
Yeah....not that Butch is so Great....Has no experience whatsoever as an evaluator or analyst....Pffttt....

Interesting topic. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a "what assistant should we hire" thread. I think it's time for the football schools in the ACC to start throwing their weight around again. I know the tobacco road crowd hated all the expansion in recent years. Adding basketball afterthoughts like Virginia Tech, Boston College and until recently, Miami hurt their feelings. Still if the ACC wants to make competitive TV money, football had to be the cash cow. It's bull**** that a school like Miami, who is one of the most marketable programs and even draws ratings when they're bad gets the same cut from the TV contract as Wake Forest or Syracuse. Still, like LCE mentioned, Clemson finds a way to make money so Miami should be able to.

Miami not having to show their financials hinders any type of argument on how they should spend money. Personally, I think they hide behind the "private school" label and pretend they don't have as much as they really do. They don't have boat loads of money but they're not as poor as they claim either.

Advertisement
https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/bay...cle_569cb90a-00e8-5aea-bd5e-a6c1130f2391.html

Really good article about how programs particularly in the Big XII & SEC have found a loophole in the new rules for Coaching staffs.

Basically, these teams have been loading up on Analysts & these Coaches are essentially Coordinators without the official title.

Do yall think Miami could afford to add at the very least another guy to our staff? Am I walking into a Hornets nest even asking the question lol?

To me it really highlights the missed opportunity we had this offseason to add a legit X's & O's guy even as an analyst to this staff.
I'm not trying to be a jackass here but this is old news. Bama was the leader with this concept (surprise, surprise), but I think there's actually been a little pushback from the ncaa on it recently (or at least talk of it).

Yes it would be great and yes revenue makes a difference, but sadly I'm not sure it would make a difference for us. I don't think cmr wants (or at least "has wanted") other opinions on his offense. **** shame.

A salary cap for coaching and support staffs ends this problem instantly.

It also allows NFL coaches like Saban and Harbaugh to actually coach on that level like they are supposed to. It USED to be college was the stepping stone for coaches tothe NFL. Now, the outrageous salaries make that less attractive, which creates an imabalance at the NCAA level AND a lack of quality coaching inthe NFL.

And the poster who said UM hides behind its private school label is 100% dead on. Additionally, joining this uppity country club conference has been a disaster for us.

Coupled with out 58th academic ranking despite a decade of trying to be elite, we may be one of the worst run schools in the country.

Yep, if you believe that the University is going to heavily subsidize the football program. Which isn't happening, nor should it. What the athletic department kills, they eat. In other words, barring some miracle infusion of capital from somewhere, the budget is what it is.
It would not be a problem if we didn't have to pay for Title IX women's sports and other losing sports venues. But the money the football program makes has to help pay for those crappy programs.

They better be doing it or begin to catch up. The real gap is not on the players side but on the coaching and support side

Advertisement
Back