Interesting article about Coaching Staffs

Memnon

Dejazmach
Premium
https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/bay...cle_569cb90a-00e8-5aea-bd5e-a6c1130f2391.html

Really good article about how programs particularly in the Big XII & SEC have found a loophole in the new rules for Coaching staffs.

Basically, these teams have been loading up on Analysts & these Coaches are essentially Coordinators without the official title.

Do yall think Miami could afford to add at the very least another guy to our staff? Am I walking into a Hornets nest even asking the question lol?

To me it really highlights the missed opportunity we had this offseason to add a legit X's & O's guy even as an analyst to this staff.

Advertisement
https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/bay...cle_569cb90a-00e8-5aea-bd5e-a6c1130f2391.html

Really good article about how programs particularly in the Big XII & SEC have found a loophole in the new rules for Coaching staffs.

Basically, these teams have been loading up on Analysts & these Coaches are essentially Coordinators without the official title.

Do yall think Miami could afford to add at the very least another guy to our staff? Am I walking into a Hornets nest even asking the question lol?

To me it really highlights the missed opportunity we had this offseason to add a legit X's & O's guy even as an analyst to this staff.
Great find. It amazing how Alabama has God knows how many of these so called Analyst. We moat certainly can afford a few.

UM can afford any coach and staff they want, imo.

Sincerely doubt Richt is going to change. He’s been running the same plays for thirty years and doesn’t see anything wrong with that.

Advertisement
The biggest issue I see is the ACC, in the article it stated that the High Revenue schools from the SEC, B1G & Big XII made so much money from their TV contracts that it gave them the extra capital to spend what they want. Even the schools that didn't really need it.

The ACC is dead last in TV Revenue because the ACC network still hasn't rolled out in the same capacity as the SEC network, B1G network & the Fox TV deal that the Big XII has along with their ESPN deal.

The B1G doled out $51.1million per school in TV Revenue payouts (Mich, Oh St & Penn St)
The SEC was $40.9mill per school (Bama adds on their own revenue in ticket sales & merch)
The Big XII was $34.3mill per school (Texas like Bama has an unlimited Warchest, plus the Longhorn network)
The Pac-12 was $31.5mill per school (USC & Oregon being the top cash cows)
The ACC was just $26.9mill per school

Basically, you either a stand alone program with Boosters that can buy whatever they want, or you're lucky enough to be in conference that cashes out annually.

The key is to find that middle ground, where you can both hold your own & skim off the top from the conference overall. Bama, UGA, Texas, TAMU, LSU, Mich, Oh St, Penn St, USC etc, don't really need their conferences to make money, but they still get their vig.

The biggest issue I see is the ACC, in the article it stated that the High Revenue schools from the SEC, B1G & Big XII made so much money from their TV contracts that it gave them the extra capital to spend what they want. Even the schools that didn't really need it.

The ACC is dead last in TV Revenue because the ACC network still hasn't rolled out in the same capacity as the SEC network, B1G network & the Fox TV deal that the Big XII has along with their ESPN deal.

The B1G doled out $51.1million per school in TV Revenue payouts (Mich, Oh St & Penn St)
The SEC was $40.9mill per school (Bama adds on their own revenue in ticket sales & merch)
The Big XII was $34.3mill per school (Texas like Bama has an unlimited Warchest, plus the Longhorn network)
The Pac-12 was $31.5mill per school (USC & Oregon being the top cash cows)
The ACC was just $26.9mill per school

Basically, you either a stand alone program with Boosters that can buy whatever they want, or you're lucky enough to be in conference that cashes out annually.

The key is to find that middle ground, where you can both hold your own & skim off the top from the conference overall. Bama, UGA, Texas, TAMU, LSU, Mich, Oh St, Penn St, USC etc, don't really need their conferences to make money, but they still get their vig.

The ACC Network is coming next year that should change somethings right?

Remember when Helfrich visited? Perfect chance and that was with an opportunity to get another actual coach but ......Patke. Great job Rorcht!!

Advertisement
The ACC Network is coming next year that should change somethings right?
I think it will.

But what I really hope is to see us begin to become our own independent cash source instead of having to rely too much on the ACC.

The reason why Clemson has had so much success is because they make their own money through ticket sales, merchandise & licensing, so even when the ACC is tight with the pockets they can still do whatever they want.

Idk how plausible it is, but I would for us to get our own **** viewership service for All-Canes Sports all the time. Instead of having to wait on ACC/ESPN to bring out a crew for our Spring game, we stream it ourselves Longhorn Network style. Again not realistic & probably dumb to even suggest, just still think it would be dope if we could somehow capitalize off our own innovation as a program.

UM can afford any coach and staff they want, imo.

Yep, if you believe that the University is going to heavily subsidize the football program. Which isn't happening, nor should it. What the athletic department kills, they eat. In other words, barring some miracle infusion of capital from somewhere, the budget is what it is.

Advertisement
I think it will.

But what I really hope is to see us begin to become our own independent cash source instead of having to rely too much on the ACC.

The reason why Clemson has had so much success is because they make their own money through ticket sales, merchandise & licensing, so even when the ACC is tight with the pockets they can still do whatever they want.

Idk how plausible it is, but I would for us to get our own **** viewership service for All-Canes Sports all the time. Instead of having to wait on ACC/ESPN to bring out a crew for our Spring game, we stream it ourselves Longhorn Network style. Again not realistic & probably dumb to even suggest, just still think it would be dope if we could somehow capitalize off our own innovation as a program.
Thinking outside the box is in no way, shape, or form "dumb" LCE. It shows a tremendous amount of intellect and foresight. It's obviously what these other cash cow universities have done.

Does being a private university hinder us in any way?

Advertisement
Nagy was hired as coach in January and Helfrich was then hired as OC.
I don't follow NFL anymore. I like the Dolphins but I can't tell you any of the coaches except Gase. I do remember when Helfrich came here, there was a thread where everyone was really excited. Maybe that was last season, if not everyone in the thread must be fn stupid.

Thinking outside the box is in no way, shape, or form "dumb" LCE. It shows a tremendous amount of intellect and foresight. It's obviously what these other cash cow universities have done.

Does being a private university hinder us in any way?
It probably does to some extent because Miami doesn't really have the same kind of unlimited resources that State schools have. But the real big issue imo is equal shared revenue in conference.

The ACC is the only P5 conference that equally shares its TV revenue amongst all teams. So, even Wake Forest, LVille & Cuse get an equal cut of the TV payouts to Clemson, FSU, Miami etc. which is some old Tobacco Road Mafia sh*t that unfairly keeps us at a disadvantage fiscally.

We're not flat broke or anything, we're definitely in the tops of the ACC & could add an extra Analyst or 2 to the Coaching staff, I just think overall it's one of those things that we'll have to wait until 2019 & beyond before we really get to start flexing our muscles once this ACC Network money starts kicking in. Which affects recruiting more than anything.

That doesn't excuse on the field performance though, there's still a lot of things we could be doing that we're not. Hopefully, after this year that changes.

I wonder how much the ACC network will give each school. Blake James should realize we need to reach out to more alumni (or just fans in general)for donations if we want to compete.

Advertisement
Back