Inside the U article by David Lake

Advertisement
To make a long story short - Julio Frenk has stepped up in leadership and walled off the AD and HC search process from the Hecht and BOT as he sees the bad leadership there. They’re mad that they’re cut off. Only Más and Lemonis are involved - both Columbus guys. If the BOT withholds money, the Columbus guys and Ruiz can step in, particularly Ruiz.

Mario is friends with Gino Toretta and respects Columbus alum Alonzo Highsmith’s football knowledge and both or either being in the AD would give him the allies that he needs there.

They're in a position now where Mario will listen to an offer after his game tonight. He was never working for Blake James. Oregon has an extension ready as well. That he hasn’t signed that and that Manny doesn’t have a new OC is telling that this is in play. If not for the loss to FSU, apparently we wouldn’t be here. That said, if no Mario, it’s not a certainty that Diaz doesn’t return.

The head coach situation is likely to happen by Tuesday??? It might happen before the AD is chosen.
RVA, Manny shouldn’t be anywhere in this equation. And that alone worries me a lot.

No, I am sick of the Miami "community". I am sick of you. I am sick of "Oh, we need a Miami guy that understand... blah blah blah." I'm done with you, and everyone who resembles you. Miami doesn't want the best coach for the job, they want the best coach that fits their image. Because, you know, image wins football games. I'm done with it.

Yes, agreed, you're definitely sick.

And maybe even worse, incapable of processing information.

Upside: good riddance.

I can't think of any scenario where firing Blake James, for football related issues no less, and retaining Manny would make any sense at all. What would be the point? Also, hypothetically and unlikely, let's say Manny surprises everyone and turns everything around - doesn't James deserve some of that credit?

He's got to be gone.

No, I am sick of the Miami "community". I am sick of you. I am sick of "Oh, we need a Miami guy that understand... blah blah blah." I'm done with you, and everyone who resembles you. Miami doesn't want the best coach for the job, they want the best coach that fits their image. Because, you know, image wins football games. I'm done with it.
Will you be cancelling your season tickets if you ever had them?
You have been on this board a very long time and other boards previously. You have been a good poster over the years. Why are you taking all this so personally?

Advertisement
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory Tantrum GIF

Manny after he's fired. "Daddy, do something!!!!!! I'm staying at Miami!!!!!"

Last edited:
Advertisement
Another 247 update: Kiffin will be signing a contract extension with Ole Miss very soon.

Tried to tell people...there weren't a lot of schools buying Lane Train tickets. Stop blaming Miami. That dude is gonna have a tough time with the background check no matter where he is willing to take a "reasonable offer".

RVA, Manny shouldn’t be anywhere in this equation. And that alone worries me a lot.
Yeah, that’s scary. I have no issues with them waiting until after Mario’s game but Manny should be gone. If they don’t like any other candidates then ask Butch to run a transition year and help with the new coaching search.

This speculation stuff is amateur-hour at its best. Enjoyed a healthy giggle over the reference of billionaire boosters - Phil Knight vs. John Ruiz. Is Mr. Lake serious? Not only would Knight eat his lunch & all the over local big shots, but Nike has created a cadre of other very wealthy Oregon alums. So, better pray it comes down to more than just money or Miami has no chance.
The whole point being made is that with Mario, it WOULD come down to more than just money. Or did the part about Miami being Mario's dream job just skip on by? That's why there IS speculation about this, and Lake did a pretty good job laying out the rationale.

This is so stupid. Based on this logic, you'd probably be adverse to hiring Nick Saban if he had some ties to UM.

Really the only reason Mario is seriously considering us, assuming he is, is because he's a former Miami guy. The fact that he has Miami ties is working in our favor, or else we probably wouldn't have this opportunity. The dude has 4 top 10 recruiting classes in a row, multiple pac-12 titles, and is very close to breaking into the CFB playoffs. Thank God he has Miami ties and we have a chance here.

Advertisement
You know, I think the 'Mario or bust' strategy ignores the fact that Manny is a lame duck at this point, and it would be disasterous to bring him back...still can't see the benefit to stringing him along. They should fire him immediately, at the very least as a statement to some of these dumbasses on the BOT that want their 'binky' back: everyone needs to row in the same direction now. Manny coming back as coach is so short sighted at this point, it simply cannot be an option, they would face a complete revolt by the fanbase.

Also, IMO, the fact that Mario hated Beta Blake makes it hard to dislike him.

The minute Manure is fired (prior to the Pac-12 title game) the speculation about Cristobal-to-Miami would've gone on overdrive .... which it seems the Columbus mafia is more concerned with, than Diaz's feelings or future.

If Cristobal is indeed named Miami's head coach in the coming days, the loyal to him over Dead Manny Walking will absolutely make more sense.

Diaz was paid handsomely the past three years for his sad 21-15 record—and he'll get a severance which more than makes up for an uncomfortable week after he stumbled to 7-5 in a year the ACC was ripe for the taking.

In short, f**k Manny's feelings—more concerned with paving the way for a smooth transition to Mario.

This is so stupid. Based on this logic, you'd probably be adverse to hiring Nick Saban if he had some ties to UM.

Really the only reason Mario is seriously considering us, assuming he is, is because he's a former Miami guy. The fact that he has Miami ties is working in our favor, or else we probably wouldn't have this opportunity. The dude has 4 top 10 recruiting classes in a row, multiple pac-12 titles, and is very close to breaking into the CFB playoffs. Thank God he has Miami ties and we have a chance here.

Exactly.

Outside of Kiffin rumblings, you're not seeing a lot of guys kicking down the door to try and rebuild this program.

It's gonna take a two-time national champ with a 44-4 record who knows the feeling of what it's like when this program is rolling. Same reason Highsmith or Torretta are clamoring for the job.

No one is saying it *needs* to be a Miami guy—but it seems only Miami guys want to roll up their sleeves to get dirty fixing this sh1tshow.

Heyyyy rational thought

Advertisement
It is good to hear that Ruiz and Mas are willing to step up financially to cover any financial threat from the BoT. The BoT doesn't get to choose the candidates but they do approve the hire so there vote is still needed. That said, it would be suicide for them to not approve an hire that has large amounts of money attached to it. Money talks and often the side willing to put up the most money wins. It sounds like the good guys are will to pay the price for victory.

I mean realistically we should be hearing tomorrow or sunday. Doubtful today as they don't want him answering this question on the podium tonight

Advertisement
Back