Inside the U article by David Lake

My thoughts exactly. Guy is regurgitating garbage at this point to try staying relevant as if he’s clued in on the inside.

1) Manny Diaz will remain in 2022 if we can’t get an “upgrade”??? There’s millions to choose from… including every living barn animal after all humans are considered.
A buddy of mine has a pig named Pancho that has been looking for a P5 coaching job. I’m not sure if he runs a 3-4 or a 4-3, but I can ask.

Advertisement
It's amazing how we were well on our way to firing Manny in midseason and then out of ******* nowhere we get the best QB this program has seen in over 2 decades to come in and bail out Mancheese. There is nothing that Miami times correctly in this life.
Look at the bright side. Given the choice of who to coach for you going to pick the team with nobody at qb or Tom Brady of college. ? It’s not a bad problem to have when attracting a coach.

I mean realistically we should be hearing tomorrow or sunday. Doubtful today as they don't want him answering this question on the podium tonight
The best time to do it would be an hour after the PAC12 CH. If you do it before, then Mario has to answer all of these questions, even at halftime, when he's either trying to focus on his game or dealing with the aftermath of the game.

An hour after the game, gives all parties clarity without undue stress and forced statements being forced by the national press.

The best time to do it would be an hour after the PAC12 CH. If you do it before, then Mario has to answer all of these questions, even at halftime, when he's either trying to focus on his game or dealing with the aftermath of the game.

An hour after the game, gives all parties clarity without undue stress and forced statements being forced by the national press.
Saturday morning... press conference Monday

I agree. The right time to announce that Mario has been hired is immediately after he gets completely out coached by Kyle Whittingham for the second time in the past few weeks.

Advertisement
Yeah, that’s scary. I have no issues with them waiting until after Mario’s game but Manny should be gone. If they don’t like any other candidates then ask Butch to run a transition year and help with the new coaching search.
Now this is a sensible idea! Will hurt recruiting for a year or two, but you have the transfer portal until we get the right guy

Advertisement
Tried to tell people...there weren't a lot of schools buying Lane Train tickets. Stop blaming Miami. That dude is gonna have a tough time with the background check no matter where he is willing to take a "reasonable offer".
It seems like he’s going to be stuck in second tier jobs for awhile. If the rift between him and Saban is true I’d imagine he is not going to get a top gig for awhile.

BTW, I refuse to believe that there's any scenario where Manny comes back. I think this is a smoke screen that will tamp down questions to Mario and for Manny to keep recruits and current players engaged (which seems to be UM's strategy with Manny).

There's no way even if Mario doesn't come, that an AD and Frenk would be willing to ride with Manny for another year. If for no other reason would Manny be fired than the press asking, "You fired your AD despite his strong reputation (according to your press release after his firing) and fund raising track record, because he hired the perennially underperforming Diaz. After making that change and promising that it's a new day for UM sports, why didn't you pursue another candidate?"

I'll believe it when it happens. It's too self-destructive for an org that is "serious" about improving.

Last edited:
The minute Manure is fired (prior to the Pac-12 title game) the speculation about Cristobal-to-Miami would've gone on overdrive .... which it seems the Columbus mafia is more concerned with, than Diaz's feelings or future.

If Cristobal is indeed named Miami's head coach in the coming days, the loyal to him over Dead Manny Walking will absolutely make more sense.

Diaz was paid handsomely the past three years for his sad 21-15 record—and he'll get a severance which more than makes up for an uncomfortable week after he stumbled to 7-5 in a year the ACC was ripe for the taking.

In short, f**k Manny's feelings—more concerned with paving the way for a smooth transition to Mario.

Good point, and really, that's the only thing that makes sense, from the 'competency' point of view.

Hard to give the school the benefit of that doubt however, since, often, in regards to athletics, their decisions have often leaned more towards incompetence.

Advertisement
He needs to stop saying the university is willing to spend healthcare dollars on football. That's not the case, and there a lot of trustees that don't care either way about football that will go nuclear if they think that's the case.

To make a long story short - Julio Frenk has stepped up in leadership and walled off the AD and HC search process from the Hecht and BOT as he sees the bad leadership there. They’re mad that they’re cut off. Only Más and Lemonis are involved - both Columbus guys. If the BOT withholds money, the Columbus guys and Ruiz can step in, particularly Ruiz.

Mario is friends with Gino Toretta and respects Columbus alum Alonzo Highsmith’s football knowledge and both or either being in the AD would give him the allies that he needs there.

They're in a position now where Mario will listen to an offer after his game tonight. He was never working for Blake James. Oregon has an extension ready as well. That he hasn’t signed that and that Manny doesn’t have a new OC is telling that this is in play. If not for the loss to FSU, apparently we wouldn’t be here. That said, if no Mario, it’s not a certainty that Diaz doesn’t hap

The head coach situation is likely to happen by Tuesday??? It might happen before the AD is chosen.
Again with this Lemonis nobody beta guy. 😭😭😭😭

With that said, IF the above messaging is accurate, it appears there is a move under strong consideration to "get the band back together".

Miami Natty Winning Players? ✅
NFL Scouting Executive ✅
Proven D1P5 HC ✅

Will you be cancelling your season tickets if you ever had them?
You have been on this board a very long time and other boards previously. You have been a good poster over the years. Why are you taking all this so personally?
I'm fed up with the nepotism. Instead of looking for good coaches, we look for ties to the program. Instead of hiring a coach that can get the job done, they make every excuse under the sun not to hire them, in order to hire the one they want.

Don't get me wrong, Mario is far better than Manny. My problem is we zoom in on one guy because he is a Miami guy, or gets the culture, and ignore other top coaches that would love to coach here. And no, even though Mario is better than Manny, I do not think he is the best coach we can get. I do not trust him to bring in the OC we'd need to maximize our talent. I do not trust him to get his team ready week in and week out. I do not believe that even with a decided talent advantage, he can outcoach the team on the other sideline.

But hey, he's Cuban, went to Miami, and won a bit in a crappy Pac 10, with an insane amount of money pumping into the program. I personally want an Xs and Os coach for a **** change. Mario doesn't check that box for me. And yeah, I know we won a title in 2001 with a great roster built by Butch Davis, but that isn't going to happen again. ****, even that team nearly lost a couple teams due to poor game day coaching.

As to why I take it personally, it's not really personal. I don't think the program is being run well, and it hasn't been for a very long time. I'm just not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend all is well when it is not.

40 years a fan, and I have seen a lot in that time. What I have seen the last 15+ has been complete ineptitude. Why should I be happy about that?

Advertisement
I thought the article was a good one for several reasons. You have to remember this wasn't written for the CIS crowd, except for the slow ones, but the more casual fan.

1 the article did a good job of laying out the timeline in a way that is easy to understand and explained the reasons for the perceived lack of inactivity. However, this article should have come out sooner to counter the misinformation from the BoT.

2 it pointed out the dysfunction of the BoT, although I wish it went deeper and more scorched earth and named names, but maybe that article comes later. I'm sure the normal fan doesn't get how bad this BoT has been, so it's good to see some light being shed on their incompetence.

The Mario or bust strategy is concerning, especially if this was being solely driven by the BoT, but since Frenk's office has cut out the BoT, I do feel there is a chance of this working out because Frenk isn't part of the old guard And there has to be a plan B that doesn't involve Manny, right?

Advertisement
Back