Inheritance

Advertisement
Anyone else notice that Duke, Arizona, Kansas, and Oregon State were all the bottom? Duke has the same record as us but beat our *** last year, while the other three have better records than us. Elko, Fisch, Leipold and Smith > Mario

Advertisement
I’ll play the both sides of the coin argument here even though most of y’all know where I stand on Mario.

On one hand, Lanning at 10 shows that Mario left him in good hands and built that roster for him, so that’s good news. And yet, it’s also why I’m so hellbent on this 2024 recruiting class being subpar and not up to Mario standards, because only once at Oregon did he have a class with more 3-stars than blue chippers (2020).

2018 (transition class)
- #13 overall
- #17 average rating per recruit (89.18)
- 23 commits: 12 (4*), 11 (3*)

- #7 overall
- #11 average rating per recruit (90.85)
- 26 commits: 1 (5*), 15 (4*), 10 (3*)

- #12 overall
- #13 average rating per recruit (90.19)
- 23 commits: 3 (5*), 7 (4*), 12 (3*)

- #6 overall
- #7 average rating per recruit (92.48)
- 23 commits: 19 (4*), 4 (3*)

And that 2020 class, well I’ll take three five-stars any day of the week lol. Quality over quantity.

Compare this with his Miami classes (I won’t count 2022 for either Oregon or Miami, as Lanning flipped a few guys late and Mario did as well).

- #7 overall
- #6 average rating per recruit (91.78)
- 26 commits: 2 (5*), 14 (4*), 8 (3*)

2024…
- #11 overall
- #19 average rating per recruit (89.70)
- 26 commits: 10 (4*), 16 (3*)

On the other, all that talent people complained we didn’t have…well Mario has vastly underperformed. It’s no secret - he has a .333 winning percentage in the ACC lol.
Been saying this for years. Use the Jimbo years at fsu as a starting point and you will find that all the consistent top 10 teams had a similar balance of 4 stars to 3 stars with two or three 5 stars. The bulk of successful classes has been the 4 star recruit.

This 2024 class was supposed to be the that gap-closer that you pair with the 2023 impact and a 2025 top 5 type class (using the two class analysis).

Mario has underachieved on the field and this has or can set the program back further because of the affect on this 2024 class.

the alternative is that Mario thinks he and his staff are smarter than anyone else before them and have truly uncovered diamonds at a higher rate than most elite programs in the major 3 star haul. But the data in this day and age of recruiting says different: bank on the elite/ higher rated kids because more times than not they will perform.

They very well could be right. Unfortunately we will not know until at a minimum a year or two.

Been saying this for years. Use the Jimbo years at fsu as a starting point and you will find that all the consistent top 10 teams had a similar balance of 4 stars to 3 stars with two or three 5 stars. The bulk of successful classes has been the 4 star recruit.

This 2024 class was supposed to be the that gap-closer that you pair with the 2023 impact and a 2025 top 5 type class (using the two class analysis).

Mario has underachieved on the field and this has or can set the program back further because of the affect on this 2024 class.

the alternative is that Mario thinks he and his staff are smarter than anyone else before them and have truly uncovered diamonds at a higher rate than most elite programs in the major 3 star haul. But the data in this day and age of recruiting says different: bank on the elite/ higher rated kids because more times than not they will perform.

They very well could be right. Unfortunately we will not know until at a minimum a year or two.
Spot on post but I wanted to focus on the bolder sections.

No one is clamoring for a Top 5 class this year, that’s not why people are getting concerned with this ‘24 class. What you said is absolutely correct - a select, quality-filled class with instant-impact pieces at key positions lacking depth (QB, DT, DB, etc.) would be the perfect filler in between a very good ‘23 class, and (ideally) a very good ‘25 class.

Remember, when we hired Mario…eeeeeeeveryone said “oh if he’s getting top 10-12 classes at Oregon, he’s a shoe-in for top-8-10 classes at Miami!”

Hmm…

And yes, IF this ‘24 class holds steadfast with this disappointing ratio…we won’t know the results until 2-3 years down the road. By then, it might be too late. If it works out, then awesome. Mario and Zo’s evaluations will have proven to be successful and that means we’re probably winning 9+ games a year (in order to deem it successful).

Spot on post but I wanted to focus on the bolder sections.

No one is clamoring for a Top 5 class this year, that’s not why people are getting concerned with this ‘24 class. What you said is absolutely correct - a select, quality-filled class with instant-impact pieces at key positions lacking depth (QB, DT, DB, etc.) would be the perfect filler in between a very good ‘23 class, and (ideally) a very good ‘25 class.

Remember, when we hired Mario…eeeeeeeveryone said “oh if he’s getting top 10-12 classes at Oregon, he’s a shoe-in for top-8-10 classes at Miami!”

Hmm…

And yes, IF this ‘24 class holds steadfast with this disappointing ratio…we won’t know the results until 2-3 years down the road. By then, it might be too late. If it works out, then awesome. Mario and Zo’s evaluations will have proven to be successful and that means we’re probably winning 9+ games a year (in order to deem it successful).
tbh, if youre paying 80 mill for a recruiter, you better be bringing in top 5 classes. UGA is bringing that in yearly under Kirby even before the titles. now im not saying we have UGAs money, but at 80 mill, we should be getting elite recruiting results if were paying him for the recruiting prowess. any average coach here gets a good to great class (randy had a top class, richt had a top 10 class, golden I believe may had a top 10-11 class when we got Tracy and duke) and then classes in the 10-20 range yearly.

Advertisement
WAIT A ******* MINUTE!!!!!!

IVE BEEN TOLD BY OUR BOARD GENIUSES THAT THIS IS A TOTAL REBUILD!!!!

mario sucks. He sucks. I cant stand that goofy ************.
“Total rebuild” these days isn’t what it used to be either

Butch showed what it looked like

Yes we absolutely had to wipe the slate clean from the admin on down but that doesn’t mean you lose to mediocre teams in year two and can’t show a pulse on offense

It’s not like we are fielding an iron man team there’s plenty of highly ranked kids on the team

Yes I will, since you have no explanation for it. Not sure why you keep bringing up your losses.

The legendary Mike Elko put up a zero while the caveman put up 31.
giphy-21.gif

“Total rebuild” these days isn’t what it used to be either

Butch showed what it looked like

Yes we absolutely had to wipe the slate clean from the admin on down but that doesn’t mean you lose to mediocre teams in year two and can’t show a pulse on offense

It’s not like we are fielding an iron man team there’s plenty of highly ranked kids on the team
you can flip a roster extremely quick these days.

We have more talent then we've had in years and we are worse then under manny.

This was exactly my fear when we locked in on mario.

Advertisement
Advertisement
you can flip a roster extremely quick these days.

We have more talent then we've had in years and we are worse then under manny.

This was exactly my fear when we locked in on mario.
Mario is the opposite of Manny to me but that doesn’t mean good or bad

Everything Manny did was flying by the seat of his pants. Everything Mario is doing is plodding and methodical

It takes Mario 6 months to realize Jason Candle isn’t coming here so I guess why would I expect him to make us contenders in two years 🙄

People forget that manny went 8-3 then 7-5, his qb had an acl tear at the end of the 1st year then got hurt again…Then we went on to win 6 of our last 7 games of that season with a first time starter at qb.

Thats trending up, mario trys to paint this situation as some bottom of the barrel rebuild when in reality it was a really good situation to come into and get the ball rolling quick.

Continue the hot streak that ended 2021 and then add his talent acquisition and culture building..We should be in a way better place right now

Advertisement
Back