Indoor practice facility confirmed

So when we have practices cancelled this summer because of thunderstorms and everyone bi*ches "oh look another day of missed practice"....

Our pansy coach was cancelling practices because of the humidity not the thunderstorms.

Advertisement
Unless you guys can't point to some concrete negatives about UM getting an IPF, I'm not sure why you're wasting any time arguing about the degree to which that this is a positive development.

Unless you guys can't point to some concrete negatives about UM getting an IPF, I'm not sure why you're wasting any time arguing about the degree to which that this is a positive development.

With a name like "Republicane", I'd think you'd be wary of throwing money at something that may not yield a tangible benefit. Seems like you'd want to know there'd be a pretty good ROI.

This isn't about having to prove some concrete negative before we spend 20 mil...it's about wanting to hear some concrete positive as to why we're doing this instead of using this money in other ways.

We've consistently heard about all these missed practices...well, how many are we talking about, exactly? And, as Franchise pointed out, if we're missing valuable and necessary practice time due to to weather, why is our coach canceling practices instead of making up that time?

Last edited:
you want me to believe that an IPF is confirmed because Golden said so?

UT here in Austin just knocked down their tennis facility for a medical facility. Both of their tennis teams were nationally ranked too. It's all about priorities with limited space on campus as UT is built similar to UM in Coral Gables.

Advertisement
This isn't about having to prove some concrete negative before we spend 20 mil...it's about wanting to hear some concrete positive as to why we're doing this instead of using this money in other ways.

If only we had thought of this before signing Golden through 2019.

UT here in Austin just knocked down their tennis facility for a medical facility. Both of their tennis teams were nationally ranked too. It's all about priorities with limited space on campus as UT is built similar to UM in Coral Gables.

but they have major major boosters who donate in the masses their

An indoor facility will allow UM to move practices back to the afternoon and not have to worry about cancelling practices due to bad weather and lightning in the spring, summer and fall. It's a huge issue for continuity and like it or not, the young players coming up today like the nice facilities, the workout rooms, the trainers facilities and anything that "they believe" will make them a better player.

I've never understood what the big deal is about this indoor practice facility. These recruits all over the country talk about it like it's the make or break issue in their decision about which college to attend. Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about an IPF other than the fact that practice can occur when the weather is bad outside? Why is the U so heavily criticized for not having an IPF? Is it just because the U doesn't have one while seemingly all of the other big name schools do have one?

Advertisement

With a name like "Republicane", I'd think you'd be wary of throwing money at something that may not yield a tangible benefit. Seems like you'd want to know there'd be a pretty good ROI.

We've consistently heard about all these missed practices...well, how many are we talking about, exactly? And, as Franchise pointed out, if we're missing valuable and necessary practice time due to to weather, why is our coach canceling practices instead of making up that time?

There isn't a a tangible plan for an IPF. A resident Homer is taking a recruiting sales pitch a bit too seriously.

People seem to think that posters "for" an IPF are blaming not having one for Goldens performance. franchises example doesn't matter because a real Coach would have never done what Golden did. that was a Corch move. We are talking about the future, not the reign of Corch.

You don't need A "real" example When hypotheticals will do. If two days of practice are cancelled during GT game week this year, would that not effect the teams performance? Of course it would. Players cant just "get together" and develop a gameplan or rep with the scout team. Some posters are taking that comment from the documentary about players running the team a bit too seriously. The elite teams are micromanaged by coaching staffs.

Everyone agrees that an IPF is low on the list of priories right now. It's a want not a need, but it has tangible benefits. Even if the ROI is something vague and unquantifiable like "recruits would like it". There is no obvious ROI in a hedge fund occupying the most expensive downtown real estate, it doesn't necessarily increase labor productivity, they do it to pamper and attract high-profile prospective investors. Unfortunately, Recruits these days are the same.

People also aren't understsnding the importance of routine and continuity. This isn't the 1980s. Most of us are too young to remember those teams. Times have changed. Summer workouts and 7 on 7s wernt mandatory back in the day. These kids play football and go to school almost 365 days a year now. Having to move or adjust schedules because of random weather events does effect performance. Look at what thursday night games have historically done to top-5 teams. FSU losing to NC State, OK state losing to Iowa State, Oregon losing to a team they raped in the PAC-12 championship game. A lot of that is because of the scheduling changes that thursday night games create.

Last edited:

We have always had an advantage at home bc of weather.
This was reason we beat Duke this year but there are plenty of other examples. FSU 2003 comes to mind as well.
We are ****ing the advantage away when we need a new coaching staff

Will it help us win games? Probably not but its will help in recruiting. Just hope it is a full IPF and not one like UGA has

Advertisement
“I already had a good feel for Coach Scott but I wanted to be around all the coaches,” Mathis said. “I talked with Coach Golden quite a bit and he explained to me what they have going on at Miami. They’re going to have an indoor facility and he showed me how I would get utilized. Coach Scott had said it before but it was good to hear again.”
From a recruit who visited for junior day

Golden won't be here for Senior Day.

Yeah. I always hear UGA facilities fcking suck

http://www.sicemdawgs.com/2015/02/uga-indoor-practice-facility-plans/

UGA Indoor Practice Facility Plans Moving Quickly

The addition of a indoor practice facility is a little closer to becoming a reality after the University of Georgia Athletic Association Board of Directors discussed the project in an executive session during its quarterly meeting Tuesday.

No timeline for the indoor practice facility — to be utilized by football and other sports — has been publicly established, but Greg McGarity, Georgia’s J. Reid Parker Director of Athletics, said “we are moving very quickly, as quickly as possible.”

During the executive session, the board discussed a real estate transaction relating to the facility. McGarity said afterward that Georgia is looking to construct the facility within “this precinct,” near the Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall. He said the facility is expected to cost close to $30 million.

McGarity stressed that while Georgia is moving quickly, it is also taking its time to make sure it gets everything right on a project that has been on the wishlist for many years.

“We have one chance to get it right and we do not want to compromise,” he said. “This building will be here forever, so you have to think that way, in all areas of design, in all areas of communicating with all the users. That involves a number of our sports, making sure that we don’t make any decisions that come back to haunt us in the future. We want to get it right.”

At the last board meeting, in September 2014, $400,000 for initial research into the indoor practice facility was approved.

McGarity said the board also discussed during executive session the need for donor support for the indoor practice facility project and a committee was formed to determine the best funding model for the facility. Georgia recently completed a $12 million renovation of Foley Field, which included $5 million in donations.

The practice building is one of numerous projects in the works discussed during the meeting, with planned improvements on the docket for the Bulldogs’ football, basketball, tennis, soccer and golf facilities. The board approved $7,220,000 in funds requested by McGarity for those improvements.

At Sanford Stadium, refurbishing the Sky Club lounge area, as well as concessions improvements, will be completed in time for the 2015 season, McGarity said. The Sky Club and concessions refurbishments have a combined cost estimate of $3,705,000.

Georgia also is in the planning stages of adding two more courts to the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Tennis Courts, as well as renovating the ITA Men’s Tennis Hall of Fame building. Georgia, long called the “mecca of college tennis,” will next host the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Tennis Championships in 2017. McGarity said Georgia needed to increase it’s indoor facility to six courts to keep the Dan Magill Tennis Complex at a championship level.

The board also approved reserve funds for a new weight room floor in Stegeman Colisuem and enhancements to Georgia’s “Grab N Go” program that provides additional food to student-athletes.

McGarity announced during the meeting that Executive Associate Athletic Director Carla Williams, recently named one of the top 10 Senior Woman Administrators in collegiate athletics, has been promoted to Deputy Director of Athletics. In addition, Christie Purks (Event Management) and Melvin Robinson (Facility Operations) have been promoted to Assistant Athletic Director positions.

After 37 years with Georgia athletics, starting as a three-year starter at split end from 1968-70, Assistant Athletic Director Charles Whittemore is retiring at the end of February, McGarity announced. The upgrades to Foley Field are “the crown jewel” of the many projects Whittemore has overseen over the years.

Advertisement

Why? It's not my money they'd be spending. At least there is a slight possibility that it could pay dividends for the football team. If they didn't spend it on building an IPF they'd likely just be spending it on some bull**** money sink research project. "We're really excited to find out about the *********ory habits of transsexual Dominican iguanas! This study should dovetail nicely with the work UM has already done on the rare Panamanian **** goat."

All home games are played outdoors --- even if there is INCLEMENT weather. Big, strong, tough football players better get used to it.

I've never understood what the big deal is about this indoor practice facility. These recruits all over the country talk about it like it's the make or break issue in their decision about which college to attend. Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about an IPF other than the fact that practice can occur when the weather is bad outside? Why is the U so heavily criticized for not having an IPF? Is it just because the U doesn't have one while seemingly all of the other big name schools do have one?
From this post alone, I can tell there is probably a lot about Miami that you don't understand.

Not really. I live in South Florida and am a U alum. But, I hope you feel better about yourself after this post.

Advertisement
Back