Indoor practice facility confirmed

The "we have won without it, so that must mean we don't need it" argument is retarded, not yours. Relax, I'm agreeing with you.

The "we have won without it" argument implies more than what you'r giving credit for.

As I noted in another post, we've long heard about how our good teams from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s would convene on their own for "voluntary" practices and workouts, and they'd hold each other accountable for those workouts. I haven't heard about anything like that for a decade now--so it seems clear that our previous coaching staffs instilled a sense of drive and competition in our players that made them want to push themselves harder than our recent staffs (under Shannon and Golden in particular) have done.

That competitive drive is what's been causing us to lose games over the last decade. Well, that and crappy schemes and crappy game-day coaching. Point is that an IPF isn't going to make a **** bit of difference to our W/L record. It's a bull**** excuse.

Who on God's green earth is arguing that an IPF will make a difference in the W/L column? Let me guess, you are going to follow up with, "herp derp then why does it matter?"

So the argument FOR it is that A) "we're losing practice time," and B) "everyone else has one." But no one knows how much practice time we're actually losing...And no cares or knows why our players aren't taking it upon themselves to make up any practice time lost.

So, yeah, you're right. it's obviously a necessity.

Herp derp indeed.

Honestly...what would you rather spend ~20 mil on...an IPF or a competent coaching staff? An IPF or a top-notch weight room that would rival Bama's? An IPF or put 20 mil toward a long-term plan to build a new stadium?

My point is that there are better, more urgently needed things to spend this money on. If we had a great staff, a great weight room, a great stadium...****, I'd be all for it. But as is, this is a great example of the phrase "putting lipstick on a pig."

The choice isnt ipf or staff. The choice is ipf or no ipf. these are college students also. they are full time students. If you schedule practice from 6-8 or 5-7 or whatever you have to stick to that. You cant just delay practice 2 hours due to lightning, and expect everything to be fine. this isnt their only job, they arent NFL players yet.
And the weight room definitely isnt the problem. We have weights. And everything we need. Thats not a current problem, so actually thats a much bigger waste than an ipf according to your own logic.
and saying we need an ipf isnt taking away from us getting a stadium. That will never happen, so building an ipf isnt taking away from that either.

It seems your entire argument is id rather spend money on new coaches, when that isnt even close to the two things we are choosing between

????

As far as I'm aware, the funding for this IPF is not from an earmarked donation that MUST be used for an IPF or will be lost forever. UM can choose what to allocate money for within the football program and what not to. Your premise is full of crap.

Even with recent upgrades including the Schwartz Center, our weight room and athletic facilities are still very mediocre in the landscape of bigtime CFB. We went from a laughingstock to having facilities that are on par with an NC State or Pitt....but we're still a far cry from the top-tier programs. We could certainly choose to spend more and get those facilities up to the top level.

Likewise, we could also choose to allocate that money to a top-teir coaching staff next year or we could hold it out as a public statement that we are saving for a stadium of our own.

It's a matter of what UM athletics chooses to allocate its funding for. And IMO, an IPF is a poor choice.

Advertisement
I've never understood what the big deal is about this indoor practice facility. These recruits all over the country talk about it like it's the make or break issue in their decision about which college to attend. Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about an IPF other than the fact that practice can occur when the weather is bad outside? Why is the U so heavily criticized for not having an IPF? Is it just because the U doesn't have one while seemingly all of the other big name schools do have one?

Not really an issue. It's something the Golden fluffers have identified as a reason we're losing recruits and can't practice effectively enough.

I was just at UK this past weekend.

They have an IPF next to their football stadium. The IPF also serves as their indoor track, and allowed them to host the SEC indoor track championships.

If UM does this facility correctly, maybe we can host the ACC indoor track championship. That way, the facility benefits multiple student athletes!

And anybody who doesn't understand the need for this doesn't understand progress.

The whole theory of "why do we need to keep up with the Jones'" is laughable! Why do we need to pay the coaching staff top dollar? Jimmy, Erickson, and Butch all won without needing top dollar ... Why should we pay it, now? LOL

Obviously, that's ridiculous! But no more ridiculous than why we should be the last of the ACC programs without an IPF ...

Hopefully, this facility will be around for 2016!

All the SEC schools have IPF's or are in the process of building one, heck even Vanderbilt built a $31 million IPF with a track. An Via Tech is building a $18 million IPF type palace with glass walls, I have to admit the building is impressive.

Go Canes

indoor4.jpg

Advertisement
So when we have practices cancelled this summer because of thunderstorms and everyone bi*ches "oh look another day of missed practice"....

They have an IPF next to their football stadium. The IPF also serves as their indoor track, and allowed them to host the SEC indoor track championships.

If UM does this facility correctly, maybe we can host the ACC indoor track championship. That way, the facility benefits multiple student athletes!

And anybody who doesn't understand the need for this doesn't understand progress.

The whole theory of "why do we need to keep up with the Jones'" is laughable! Why do we need to pay the coaching staff top dollar? Jimmy, Erickson, and Butch all won without needing top dollar ... Why should we pay it, now? LOL

Obviously, that ridiculous! But no more ridiculous than why we should be the last of the ACC programs without an IPF ...

Hopefully, this will be around for 2016!

You're supposing an awful lot here, without even knowing how big our IPF is going to be.

I'm just hoping UM sees the bigger picture, and how this football facility can have a larger impact on the athletics department. Help with perception, and give other athletes a facility upgrade. Win-Win!

You're right, though ... It could just be a practice bubble.

If so, we will have missed a chance to make a bigger statement, IMO.

But still ... Gotta have something that allows for practice when there's inclement weather. And certainly can't be the only 1 of the Big 3 in Florida without one ...

Obviously, that ridiculous! But no more ridiculous than why we should be the last of the ACC programs without an IPF ...

Hopefully, this will be around for 2016!

You're supposing an awful lot here, without even knowing how big our IPF is going to be.

Advertisement

Obviously, that's ridiculous! But no more ridiculous than why we should be the last of the ACC programs without an IPF ...

Hopefully, this facility will be around for 2016!

Miami doesn't have the room for an IPF that has an indoor track.
DebateParking.gif

We're losing recruits because we don't have an indoor practice facility.

I'd say we will get one as soon as FIU does, as they are our main competitor.

Some of yoh need to stop living in the past. Today, a IPF is a must. Period.
1. You have to keep up with everybody else as much as possible.
2. The kids today want it!
3. With practices held to a limit number, this prevents lost productivity both monitored by coaches and elected practice time by players only.

There is only upside with a IPF....

Advertisement
I've never understood what the big deal is about this indoor practice facility.

Think about it being dodgeball Monday and it pouring rain outside.. Talk about a let down!

That is when you switch to tug-of-war - it is much more interesting when you have mud pits for players to fall into. Obviously, we wouldn't be able to play softball in that weather, so its the clear choice.

Why doesn't UM use the Adidas money to fund the IPF?

BTW, I truly believe the IPF is the reason why we didn't win 10-11 game last season.

Advertisement
If the University of Louisiana-Lafayette can have an IPF, then why can't Miami?

Because we didn't need one in the 80's apparently...

Has nothing to do with the 80s, chump.

It has to do with whether this is the best use of 20 mil or not. It has to do with being smart about our money, instead of just building something because other programs have it, even though it might not necessarily be of great tangible benefit to our program.

If we missed so many practices because of bad weather why did we voluntarily cancel the final week of practices? Couldn't we have used that time to make up for all the practice time we purportedly missed because of bad weather?

If we missed so many practices because of bad weather why did we voluntarily cancel the final week of practices? Couldn't we have used that time to make up for all the practice time we purportedly missed because of bad weather?

but but but...stop living in the 80s, gramps...we obviously NEEED an IPF!!!

BTW, I truly believe the IPF is the reason why we didn't win 10-11 game last season.

I truly believe this to be true. I think that lights on the outdoor practice would have secured us at least an additional 2 wins, and both Alex Collins and Sony Michel cited the lack of lights as a reason for not attending UM.

Advertisement
Back