Indoor practice facility confirmed

I for one like the idea of Dodge Ball Monday...Like in the military you train and train ... you build tension and stress ..you got to release it...military units that PLAY hard together will WORK hard together

I remember a day when our players used to release stress by blowing out mediocre teams.

Advertisement
I've never understood what the big deal is about this indoor practice facility. These recruits all over the country talk about it like it's the make or break issue in their decision about which college to attend. Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about an IPF other than the fact that practice can occur when the weather is bad outside? Why is the U so heavily criticized for not having an IPF? Is it just because the U doesn't have one while seemingly all of the other big name schools do have one?

We play in south Florida where we have inclimate weather all the time and practices get canceled ..... An indoor practice facility is definitely needed....

We've always played in South Florida, never had an IPF before, and yet we found ways to win national titles.

This whole IPF craze is just a matter of "keeping up with the Joneses." Bama and the big-name schools has one, so then everyone has to have one, or TV analysts and recruits will say your facilities suck.

It is what it is. College football is an arms race, things like new dorms, new facilities, and indoor practice facilities matter to recruits now adays. It's just the way it is. Saying things like we won 5 titles without it is good an all but let's face it the teams that are winning now are investing BIG money into the programs. It's either do the same or get left behind in terms of facilities. For an example Clemson is about to undergo construction on a 75 million dollar athletic facility. Kids are going to rave even more about it when they get on their campus. Saying an IPF is not needed at Miami gives people like Shalala a platform and or reason not to spend the money on one imo. Things are changing though. Hope miami finally know they have to start investing into the program

Thing of it is, I can see kids getting hung up on luxury things like kick-*** dorms, pools, weight rooms, trophy rooms, etc.

But an IPF will be used so rarely that it's farcical to buy into the idea that it makes a diff. For Christ's sake, spend that money on something that'll be ensued regularly...upgrade the weight room to be a top-tier facility, or upgrade dorms, or whatever. But an IPF?? GTFOH.

Just because we have won without one doesnt mean we dont need it. There literally is no debating the fact this could result in less canceled practice and delayed practices. Im pretty sure last year at least 10-15 practiced were delayed like an hour or two.

Yes it also is about perception, but its funny hearing all you guys say perception doesnt matter, when it totally does. We always complain about this schools lack of a committment towards the football program, well guess what, spending millions of dollars on it is definitely a step in the right direction. now obviously firing Golden would have been a bigger/better step, that doesnt change fact getting an ipf is neccessary

Just because we have won without one doesnt mean we dont need it. There literally is no debating the fact this could result in less canceled practice and delayed practices. Im pretty sure last year at least 10-15 practiced were delayed like an hour or two.

Yes it also is about perception, but its funny hearing all you guys say perception doesnt matter, when it totally does. We always complain about this schools lack of a committment towards the football program, well guess what, spending millions of dollars on it is definitely a step in the right direction. now obviously firing Golden would have been a bigger/better step, that doesnt change fact getting an ipf is neccessary

It's one of the dumbest, most out-of-touch "arguments" that is commonly presented on this board.

Advertisement
If we were still winning it wouldn't matter. JJ, Dennis, Butch or whoever could just say -- "Dude, this is THE U. We have no girls here who need to get out of the sun for practice." But since we get our rears kicked by everyone, we have no excuse. Plus, you can't practice once the lightning alarm goes off.

If we were still winning it wouldn't matter. JJ, Dennis, Butch or whoever could just say -- "Dude, this is THE U. We have no girls here who need to get out of the sun for practice." But since we get our rears kicked by everyone, we have no excuse. Plus, you can't practice once the lightning alarm goes off.

My Lit professor was struck by lightening my junior year. Did they cancel the class? NNNOOOO! Bunch of soft pansies playing girls games!

It's one of the dumbest, most out-of-touch "arguments" that is commonly presented on this board.

What exactly is dumb about my argument?
You guys are the ones making logical fallacies saying because we have won without an ipf, we Shouldnt get one.

I said the school needs to start spending money on the football program. Is that true? Without a doubt.

I said we have had numerous cancelled and delayed practices. Is that true? Yes.

Also we're already far behind these other big schools, not having an ipf when literally every othet school does, is a major stayement saying we arent as committed.

You're probably the kind of guy that thinks new helmets like revo-speeds are unneccessary. "Well we won national championships with the old school schutt helmets". very similar ideas.

I've never understood what the big deal is about this indoor practice facility. These recruits all over the country talk about it like it's the make or break issue in their decision about which college to attend. Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about an IPF other than the fact that practice can occur when the weather is bad outside? Why is the U so heavily criticized for not having an IPF? Is it just because the U doesn't have one while seemingly all of the other big name schools do have one?

We play in south Florida where we have inclimate weather all the time and practices get canceled ..... An indoor practice facility is definitely needed....

We've always played in South Florida, never had an IPF before, and yet we found ways to win national titles.

This whole IPF craze is just a matter of "keeping up with the Joneses." Bama and the big-name schools has one, so then everyone has to have one, or TV analysts and recruits will say your facilities suck.

It is what it is. College football is an arms race, things like new dorms, new facilities, and indoor practice facilities matter to recruits now adays. It's just the way it is. Saying things like we won 5 titles without it is good an all but let's face it the teams that are winning now are investing BIG money into the programs. It's either do the same or get left behind in terms of facilities. For an example Clemson is about to undergo construction on a 75 million dollar athletic facility. Kids are going to rave even more about it when they get on their campus. Saying an IPF is not needed at Miami gives people like Shalala a platform and or reason not to spend the money on one imo. Things are changing though. Hope miami finally know they have to start investing into the program

Thing of it is, I can see kids getting hung up on luxury things like kick-*** dorms, pools, weight rooms, trophy rooms, etc.

But an IPF will be used so rarely that it's farcical to buy into the idea that it makes a diff. For Christ's sake, spend that money on something that'll be ensued regularly...upgrade the weight room to be a top-tier facility, or upgrade dorms, or whatever. But an IPF?? GTFOH.

As I recall, last summer we lost something like all or part of ten or more practices due to lightning. Those could have been moved indoors if we had the facility. I don't want them to use it exclusively at all. We need to be the best conditioned team in the land and able to play four quarters and four more OT's in the south Florida noon sun in August and September. We need to be able to wear other teams down and we would lose that option if we used the indoor facility all the time.

Advertisement

You guys are the ones making logical fallacies saying because we have won without an ipf, we Shouldnt get one.

I said the school needs to start spending money on the football program. Is that true? Without a doubt.

Also we're already far behind these other big schools, not having an ipf when literally every othet school does, is a major stayement saying we arent as committed.

You're probably the kind of guy that thinks new helmets like revo-speeds are unneccessary. "Well we won national championships with the old school schutt helmets". very similar ideas.

Good post. Like it or not, the kids that we recruit today are not the same as the kids Howard, JJ and Dennis recruited. Not even the same Butch and Larry went for. The explosion of recruiting making the top players stars before they get out of high school has changed the whole landscape of recruiting. I don't remember kids thirty years ago talking about being recruited and saying such things as the coaches just need to show them the love. ****, if they had then they would probably have had their butts kicked by their teammates.

The "we have won without it, so that must mean we don't need it" argument is retarded, not yours. Relax, I'm agreeing with you.

As I recall, last summer we lost something like all or part of ten or more practices due to lightning. Those could have been moved indoors if we had the facility. I don't want them to use it exclusively at all. We need to be the best conditioned team in the land and able to play four quarters and four more OT's in the south Florida noon sun in August and September. We need to be able to wear other teams down and we would lose that option if we used the indoor facility all the time.

I want to know numbers.

How many minutes of practice time did we lose to weather?

Could those minutes have been made up in other ways, for instance by players actually taking initiative on themselves and doing" voluntary" workouts and practices, like we often hear our previous teams xdid?

Could we avert this loss of practice time by scheduling our practices better? So. Fla summer weather is generally pretty predictable (e.g., mid-afternoon thunderstorms and lightning is pretty common) so why not schedule in early AM or late evening more to avoid losing time?

All in all, at this point in time, I'm simply not convinced that this is a good use of tens of millions of dollars. I'm willing to listen, though...so please, anyone with facts, let's discuss. But let's not assume that we "need" this if we really don't.

Most of those titles were decades ago. Did any teams have IPFs then, other than up North where it snows? Times have changed. The NCAA and schools have much stricter guidelines for canceling/delaying practice due to lightning.

An IPF is a competitive advantage, while also recruiting tool. Imagine thunderstorms all through Florida during the FSU/Miami game week. FSU can move over to their IPF in about 10 seconds without losing any valuable time, where's Miami would cancel a practice and/or have players sitting around wasting several hours waiting for better weather. These kids have tight schedules, it's like the butterfly effect., any change to their routine has effects.

Advertisement

The "we have won without it, so that must mean we don't need it" argument is retarded, not yours. Relax, I'm agreeing with you.

The "we have won without it" argument implies more than what you'r giving credit for.

As I noted in another post, we've long heard about how our good teams from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s would convene on their own for "voluntary" practices and workouts, and they'd hold each other accountable for those workouts. I haven't heard about anything like that for a decade now--so it seems clear that our previous coaching staffs instilled a sense of drive and competition in our players that made them want to push themselves harder than our recent staffs (under Shannon and Golden in particular) have done.

That competitive drive is what's been causing us to lose games over the last decade. Well, that and crappy schemes and crappy game-day coaching. Point is that an IPF isn't going to make a **** bit of difference to our W/L record. It's a bull**** excuse.

The "we have won without it" argument implies more than what you'r giving credit for.

As I noted in another post, we've long heard about how our good teams from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s would convene on their own for "voluntary" practices and workouts, and they'd hold each other accountable for those workouts. I haven't heard about anything like that for a decade now--so it seems clear that our previous coaching staffs instilled a sense of drive and competition in our players that made them want to push themselves harder than our recent staffs (under Shannon and Golden in particular) have done.

That competitive drive is what's been causing us to lose games over the last decade. Well, that and crappy schemes and crappy game-day coaching. Point is that an IPF isn't going to make a **** bit of difference to our W/L record. It's a bull**** excuse.

Who on God's green earth is arguing that an IPF will make a difference in the W/L column? Let me guess, you are going to follow up with, "herp derp then why does it matter?"

Locker rooms don't make us win or lose. We won with middle-school level locker rooms previously. I suppose we should have never upgraded.

Who on God's green earth is arguing that an IPF will make a difference in the W/L column? Let me guess, you are going to follow up with, "herp derp then why does it matter?"

So the argument FOR it is that A) "we're losing practice time," and B) "everyone else has one." But no one knows how much practice time we're actually losing...no cares or knows why our players aren't taking it upon themselves to make up any practice time lost....and no one can quantify what advantage, if any, it would give us.

So, yeah, you're right. it's obviously a necessity.

Herp derp indeed.

Honestly...what would you rather spend ~20 mil on...an IPF or a competent coaching staff? An IPF or a top-notch weight room that would rival Bama's? An IPF or put 20 mil toward a long-term plan to build a new stadium?

My point is that there are better, more urgently needed things to spend this money on. If we had a great staff, a great weight room, a great stadium...****, I'd be all for it. But as is, this is a great example of the phrase "putting lipstick on a pig."

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why is this even being discussed? It's not a question of money. There's enough $ to build it, buy out the corching staph, and hire a front line staff for Butch. It's all about priorities.

Unfortunately, the Board Of Garbage, in their infinite STUPIDITY, would rather waste millions on a failing health care debacle. They pile hiring mistakes on top of extension blunders on top of plain incompetence.

Why is this even being discussed? It's not a question of money. There's enough $ to build it, buy out the corching staph, and hire a front line staff for Butch. It's all about priorities.

Unfortunately, the Board Of Garbage, in their infinite STUPIDITY, would rather waste millions on a failing health care debacle. They pile hiring mistakes on top of extension blunders on top of plain incompetence.
Bingo. But I'm not shocked that the guy with the 80s mentality also believes that UM is poor.

So the argument FOR it is that A) "we're losing practice time," and B) "everyone else has one." But no one knows how much practice time we're actually losing...And no cares or knows why our players aren't taking it upon themselves to make up any practice time lost.

So, yeah, you're right. it's obviously a necessity.

Herp derp indeed.

Honestly...what would you rather spend ~20 mil on...an IPF or a competent coaching staff? An IPF or a top-notch weight room that would rival Bama's? An IPF or put 20 mil toward a long-term plan to build a new stadium?

My point is that there are better, more urgently needed things to spend this money on. If we had a great staff, a great weight room, a great stadium...****, I'd be all for it. But as is, this is a great example of the phrase "putting lipstick on a pig."

The choice isnt ipf or staff. The choice is ipf or no ipf. these are college students also. they are full time students. If you schedule practice from 6-8 or 5-7 or whatever you have to stick to that. You cant just delay practice 2 hours due to lightning, and expect everything to be fine. this isnt their only job, they arent NFL players yet.
And the weight room definitely isnt the problem. We have weights. And everything we need. Thats not a current problem, so actually thats a much bigger waste than an ipf according to your own logic.
and saying we need an ipf isnt taking away from us getting a stadium. That will never happen, so building an ipf isnt taking away from that either.

It seems your entire argument is id rather spend money on new coaches, when that isnt even close to the two things we are choosing between

Pretty sure that 99% of this board, if given the choice, would pay for a top notch coaching staff over an IPF. Sky is blue.

Advertisement
Back