Indoor practice facility confirmed

brock

All-American
“I already had a good feel for Coach Scott but I wanted to be around all the coaches,” Mathis said. “I talked with Coach Golden quite a bit and he explained to me what they have going on at Miami. They’re going to have an indoor facility and he showed me how I would get utilized. Coach Scott had said it before but it was good to hear again.”
From a recruit who visited for junior day

Advertisement
I've never understood what the big deal is about this indoor practice facility. These recruits all over the country talk about it like it's the make or break issue in their decision about which college to attend. Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about an IPF other than the fact that practice can occur when the weather is bad outside? Why is the U so heavily criticized for not having an IPF? Is it just because the U doesn't have one while seemingly all of the other big name schools do have one?

I've never understood what the big deal is about this indoor practice facility. These recruits all over the country talk about it like it's the make or break issue in their decision about which college to attend. Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about an IPF other than the fact that practice can occur when the weather is bad outside? Why is the U so heavily criticized for not having an IPF? Is it just because the U doesn't have one while seemingly all of the other big name schools do have one?

We play in south Florida where we have inclimate weather all the time and practices get canceled ..... An indoor practice facility is definitely needed....

Last edited:
Advertisement

We play in south Florida where we have inclimate weather all the time and practices get canceled ..... An indoor practice facility is definitely needed....

We play in south Florida, the hotbed of national talent, and have the worst coaching staff in the entire ******* country running the program into the ground.

The only thing needed right now is a change in the ******* morons running the program.

All the practice facilities and bubbles in the world aren't going to change a **** thing until we get a competent coaching staff and an administration that gives a flying **** about football.

Like anything, you look good, you feel good, you play good. It's not different in the business world than the sports world. The overwhelming majority of athletes would prefer top notch facilities just as you would prefer an office on the 20th floor instead of a cubicle in a doublewide.

I think it's mostly a matter of perception. If you want recruits to see UM as a top program, you can't afford to be seen as too far behind the best programs. OTOH, there is value in not having to cancel practice because of the weather...and we all know how often thunderstorms occur in FL.

Advertisement
From this post alone, I can tell there is probably a lot about Miami that you don't understand.

In addition to the frequent inclement weather in south Florida, there is the arms race of keeping with the Jones because FSU, UCF, and now UF is building one that will be finished this year. Then you have the other ACC schools that recruit south Florida such as Clemson and Va Tech who have them.

Go Canes

With the practice restrictions set on coaches losing practice days or having practice delayed due to inclement weather is becoming more and more a competitive disadvantage.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Forget the weather (which is valid), if recruits like it, and other schools have it, we need it. Simple as that. Golden still sucks though.

I think it's mostly a matter of perception. If you want recruits to see UM as a top program, you can't afford to be seen as too far behind the best programs. OTOH, there is value in not having to cancel practice because of the weather...and we all know how often thunderstorms occur in FL.

Perception is spot on... When you visit these other school their football facilities not only give the perception that they are committed to their football program but they serve as evidence on what they are willing to spend inorder to be the best...It works...i was impressed when stepping into Auburn IPF and the recruits were too..

I've never understood what the big deal is about this indoor practice facility.

Think about it being dodgeball Monday and it pouring rain outside.. Talk about a let down!
I for one like the idea of Dodge Ball Monday...Like in the military you train and train ... you build tension and stress ..you got to release it...military units that PLAY hard together will WORK hard together

Advertisement

We've always played in South Florida, never had an IPF before, and yet we found ways to win national titles.

This whole IPF craze is just a matter of "keeping up with the Joneses." Bama and the big-name schools has one, so then everyone has to have one, or TV analysts and recruits will say your facilities suck.

We've always played in South Florida, never had an IPF before, and yet we found ways to win national titles.

This whole IPF craze is just a matter of "keeping up with the Joneses." Bama and the big-name schools has one, so then everyone has to have one, or TV analysts and recruits will say your facilities suck.

Forget bama, UCF was the first to build one in Florida 10 years ago. An they also built a stadium shortly after that. So Miami is in a facilities race instate that we are losing currently but hopefully will change soon.

Go Canes

Horrible waste of money w Grohlden's buyout.

Use money to fire Grohlden and hire Butch.

Use increased revenue to build facilities.

It is what it is. College football is an arms race, things like new dorms, new facilities, and indoor practice facilities matter to recruits now adays. It's just the way it is. Saying things like we won 5 titles without it is good an all but let's face it the teams that are winning now are investing BIG money into the programs. It's either do the same or get left behind in terms of facilities. For an example Clemson is about to undergo construction on a 75 million dollar athletic facility. Kids are going to rave even more about it when they get on their campus. Saying an IPF is not needed at Miami gives people like Shalala a platform and or reason not to spend the money on one imo. Things are changing though. Hope miami finally know they have to start investing into the program

Advertisement
Back