Indoor practice facility confirmed

Unless you guys can't point to some concrete negatives about UM getting an IPF, I'm not sure why you're wasting any time arguing about the degree to which that this is a positive development.

With a name like "Republicane", I'd think you'd be wary of throwing money at something that may not yield a tangible benefit. Seems like you'd want to know there'd be a pretty good ROI.

Why? It's not my money they'd be spending. At least there is a slight possibility that it could pay dividends for the football team. If they didn't spend it on building an IPF they'd likely just be spending it on some bull**** money sink research project. "We're really excited to find out about the *********ory habits of transsexual Dominican iguanas! This study should dovetail nicely with the work UM has already done on the rare Panamanian **** goat."

If you've bought tickets to games and UM paraphernalia, it is your money.

Why do you--and a few others here--seem to assume that if we didn't fund an IPF, the money would be lost by the athletic dept and shifted to academics? I'm pretty sure this isn't the case.

I've already outlined a few ways that that money could potentially be spend within the football program, ways that would likely provide a better ROI. Buy out Golden and improve coaching salaries for one. Improve the weight room to a level on par with Bama, Texas, and other top-tier programs is another. And finally, the admin could have chosen to take the ~20 mil it will end up spending on an IPF to begin an earnest effort to fundraise for a new stadium.

If the IPF is a done deal, so be it...whoo ******* hoo. But point is that it's 20 mil that could be better spent.

Advertisement
An IPF keeps us relevant. It's an absolute must-have and should be the first priority after finding a new HC/AD.

UT here in Austin just knocked down their tennis facility for a medical facility. Both of their tennis teams were nationally ranked too. It's all about priorities with limited space on campus as UT is built similar to UM in Coral Gables.

but they have major major boosters who donate in the masses their

they do but aren't on this one. I believe the women's coach resigned over it and the team is stuck playing at their Intermural facility which is not up to par with college venues as well as a public park in town. as of now there are no plans to build tennis a new venue. point being is that UT prioritizes their medical department more than their beloved athletics

I've never understood what the big deal is about this indoor practice facility. These recruits all over the country talk about it like it's the make or break issue in their decision about which college to attend. Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about an IPF other than the fact that practice can occur when the weather is bad outside? Why is the U so heavily criticized for not having an IPF? Is it just because the U doesn't have one while seemingly all of the other big name schools do have one?

We have practiced at Vandy's indoor facility and it's ridiculously nice. Outside of the recruiting value & weather related value, I don't know. I think for UM tone able to move scheduled practices that may conflict with lightning inside, is a huge bonus. Recruiting is an arms race. We are already behind the curve.

UT here in Austin just knocked down their tennis facility for a medical facility. Both of their tennis teams were nationally ranked too. It's all about priorities with limited space on campus as UT is built similar to UM in Coral Gables.

they do but aren't on this one. I believe the women's coach resigned over it and the team is stuck playing at their Intermural facility which is not up to par with college venues as well as a public park in town. as of now there are no plans to build tennis a new venue. point being is that UT prioritizes their medical department more than their beloved athletics

-Texas open an $8.8 million dollar facility 2 years ago for the Tennis Program.

http://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/25/facilities_0725135053.aspx?id=232

-As well as currently planning on opening another state of the art outdoor tennis center. UT cares about athletics. A LOT.

http://texassports.com/news/2014/1/29/foundation_0129144937.aspx

Advertisement

-As well as currently planning on opening another state of the art outdoor tennis center. UT cares about athletics. A LOT.

the 8.8 million dollar facilty is in the hill country about 45 minutes away from campus which is their indoor courts. it's where their golf team calls home too. have heard that they want to build a new outdoor one per second article but have not seen or heard of anything as of late.

the 8.8 million dollar facilty is in the hill country about 45 minutes away from campus which is their indoor courts. it's where their golf team calls home too. have heard that they want to build a new outdoor one per second article but have not seen or heard of anything as of late.

I get what you are saying, but UT is still putting money into athletics. They had the highest revenue for sports as well as expenses for a reason. Athletics will always be the #1 priority for UT. It looks like the Medical Department for UM is the highest priority.

I get what you are saying, but UT is still putting money into athletics. They had the highest revenue for sports as well as expenses for a reason. Athletics will always be the #1 priority for UT. It looks like the Medical Department for UM is the highest priority.

you make it sound like it's a bad thing.

By the way, LULZ at the OP's claim that the IPF was "confirmed".

Pretty sure everyone agrees it's a good idea to have one, which is why UM probably will never get around to building one. Everyone's just sick of collateral issues being given much weight because it takes the focus off of what the real problem with the program is.

Advertisement

I get what you are saying, but UT is still putting money into athletics. They had the highest revenue for sports as well as expenses for a reason. Athletics will always be the #1 priority for UT. It looks like the Medical Department for UM is the only priority.

fify

you make it sound like it's a bad thing.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. You get what you pay for. UM Medical Department is very high regarded because they committed the resources to it. Only if they do the same for the football team....

I just hope they don't head inside when it gets hot. If that happens, what a joke the program has become.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back