In other news.....

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium

Often when you hear about a college athlete serving a one-game suspension for a vague “team rules violation,” you can safely bet it is marijuana-related.

Riley advocated Monday for an approach focused on the “welfare of the student-athlete,” which treats marijuana more like alcohol. Basically, under such a scenario, OU would be able to intervene and help if it feared an athlete’s marijuana use had become a serious problem, but otherwise would leave it alone. That is basically the NHL’s marijuana policy.

“To maybe give you an idea of some of the talks we’ve had, let’s say we had a player, maybe, that had an issue with abusing alcohol,” Riley said. “It’s not necessarily illegal from an NCAA standard, this and that. We would sit down and talk to this player. We would get him counseling. We would approach it more from a wellness and … being healthy for the rest of your life and putting yourself in good situations, helping you perform athletically, academically, all those things. We tried to do everything we could.

“And I don’t know that we’ve all necessarily been able to do that with marijuana, specifically because of the ramification of a guy testing positive.”

As attitudes — and laws — regarding marijuana continue to evolve, the NCAA and universities will have to evolve, too. Riley seems to understand that. “I do think it’s going to happen,” he said. “When is everybody’s best guess. If you look at the trends in other sports, I think you would certainly say probably sooner rather than later. It just seems to be the way that the world’s going.”

Advertisement
tenor.gif

The constant chase of creating new problems. People need to realize that passing policies like paying players, allowing players to use Marijuana, or w.e. else you can think of doesn't fix problems, it just creates new ones. EVERY POLICY BECOMES PERVERSE!!!! Whether its the welfare queen in the inner city with 6 gits milking the tax payer and the welfare state, or its Bazos making Billions and paying 0% tax. Its not about being a humanitarian, being socially conscience, being progressive, being a visionary, etc, its about agendas. Its about winning and gaining power and many people have become very good at using the emotions of the uninformed to gain that advantage. Peep game boys and girls.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Often when you hear about a college athlete serving a one-game suspension for a vague “team rules violation,” you can safely bet it is marijuana-related.

Riley advocated Monday for an approach focused on the “welfare of the student-athlete,” which treats marijuana more like alcohol. Basically, under such a scenario, OU would be able to intervene and help if it feared an athlete’s marijuana use had become a serious problem, but otherwise would leave it alone. That is basically the NHL’s marijuana policy.

“To maybe give you an idea of some of the talks we’ve had, let’s say we had a player, maybe, that had an issue with abusing alcohol,” Riley said. “It’s not necessarily illegal from an NCAA standard, this and that. We would sit down and talk to this player. We would get him counseling. We would approach it more from a wellness and … being healthy for the rest of your life and putting yourself in good situations, helping you perform athletically, academically, all those things. We tried to do everything we could.

“And I don’t know that we’ve all necessarily been able to do that with marijuana, specifically because of the ramification of a guy testing positive.”

As attitudes — and laws — regarding marijuana continue to evolve, the NCAA and universities will have to evolve, too. Riley seems to understand that. “I do think it’s going to happen,” he said. “When is everybody’s best guess. If you look at the trends in other sports, I think you would certainly say probably sooner rather than later. It just seems to be the way that the world’s going.”

meth-red-how-high-s-580x563.jpg

MLB players are now allowed to use it, just not at work and they can't be involved with companies (spokesman, advertising, etc)
Now if we can just get Mitch McConnell to bring any of the numerous legalization bills to a vote.....

Advertisement
Advertisement
College needs to keep its integrity on this. When you’re an adult and get to the league then you can do whatever but let them have some discipline. This would be bad . Just my opinion.

Advertisement
It’s overtly racist that the two most prominent sports with African Americans have the toughest marijuana rules yet NHL and MLB, with mostly undereducated white dudes are progressive.

facts are facts. Call me what you want, DGAF.

NHL is full of canadians and baseball is 99% standing in a field. You can find the smokers on the bball court with their hands on their knees.

It’s overtly racist that the two most prominent sports with African Americans have the toughest marijuana rules yet NHL and MLB, with mostly undereducated white dudes are progressive.

facts are facts. Call me what you want, DGAF.
The new (if passed) NFL CBA has significantly reduced the time period for testing and punishment for a positive result. Testing would only be the first 2 weeks of training camp and a positive result would be treatment recommendation vs 4 game suspension. Everyone but the federal government is realizing the hypocrisy and disaster of prohibition.

Advertisement
Back