In 4 of UM's 6 losses....

CountDookoo

Recruit
They had a 4th qtr lead and surrendered a game-tying or game-winning TD drive. Also, trailing by 1 against VT after a missed extra point the defense allowed a TD when a stop was desperately needed. I don't want to hear any stats about tackles for loss or sacks. The defense needs an overhaul as well.

Advertisement
Which was the fourth... UF, UNC, Duke. I thought it was 4 also but couldn't think of the last one.

Advertisement
They had a 4th qtr lead and surrendered a game-tying or game-winning TD drive. Also, trailing by 1 against VT after a missed extra point the defense allowed a TD when a stop was desperately needed. I don't want to hear any stats about tackles for loss or sacks. The defense needs an overhaul as well.

Baxa missed the go ahead extra point against Virginia Tech. As I said yesterday, a hallmark of Diaz's tenure has been the defense giving up touchdowns or field goals when his defense needed to make a critical stop.

Advertisement
We were leading in the 4th against UF, UNC, GT and Duke. I would technically count VT as well since we tied the game but missed the XP to go ahead by one. So technically, we led in 5 of our 6 losses at some point in the 4th quarter. FIU was actually our worst loss of the year from an objective stats standpoint which is absolutely nuts.

Is there a way that we can play FIU in a bowl. I want to give a Christmas gift to my Butch slurping friends. He would have a bronze statue erected in Miami.

The D isnt bad..the D gets put in tough situations..but the D definitely isn’t elite yet any stretch. I don’t think anyone here has said the D has been elite this season..

i expected a bit of a drop off. Still finished top 15 in many categories but was terrible in 3rd downs...you can point to the lack of experience in the back end and lack of cover corners who can lock up in those situations. Those guys are talented and should be better. The pass Rush should improve. Can’t wait to see what Phillips brings with his length and talent. Hopefully he’ll be ready to go in spring ball. But there’s no market for cover guys out of HS or juco who are going to come in and just be lock down guys out the gate...this D should be better in the front four and the back 7 next year. Our LBs should have more range. Will they be as productive remains to be seen

Advertisement
The defense is good enough to have won all or almost all of those games with even a 60th ranked offense. Is it elite, no, and would get chewed up by good or great offenses.

Still, considering those losses, they weren't helped out offensively. Our three and outs, kicking game, general lack of production on offense, turnover happy games, leaves far too many opportunities for the opposing offense. There's not a lot of defenses that could essentially win is games with the way our offense is basically setting them up for failure.

We need a new scheme, the Manny defense gimmick is over.
Idk how it’s a “Gimmick” scheme.. it’s a one gap aggressive system that everyone clamored for here..it’s still a top 15 D. Kids are still producing. The overall scheme isn’t the problem..but you leave any great or good defense on the field as much as we have the last 2 games and see what happens..patriots last night was a prime example

Advertisement
bananas.gif

Any defense allowing those teams to score when you are down is hot garbage. (UNC, GT, FIU, Duke)

Advertisement
Back