IMO our biggest area of "need/weakness" is a playmaking FS/S

We bring in the secondary class that's been rumored we will be fine will playmakers all over the secondary

Advertisement
I'd settle for ones that are consistently near the zones of their responsibility in a basic cover-2.

We getting that next year. What we really need is a better front 7 against the run.

I disagree, guys were in position to make plays all game & simply missed, filled the wrong hole, or went for kill shots. Hello #53 .
Yep. And, couldn't be with you more on what we need. I'd say we need more than 1. Luckily, we have 3 exceptional prospects on their way. I view Frierson as a potential S or hybrid DB.

Our secondary last year did a good job of covering up mistakes by the front seven in the run game. Don't forget Jamal Carter and Corn Elder were tackling machines last season. Even Rayshawn Jenkins, with his speed, played a major role.

The DBs this year take bad angles, don't contain the edge at all, and are undersized. Patrick's big run on first possession of the game that went for 50+ should've never happened had our safety kept containment on the backside. Why is he getting sucked in in the first place? You have to know where your help is and where your teammates are. We had a ton of guys around the ball at the line of scrimmage, and there was nowhere for Patrick to go between the tackles.

Our DBs need to improve their awareness.

Advertisement
jaquan had a huge interception vs FSU last year

and mo sikes wasn't even that good

Sikes was a good player (all conference in 2002)

Problem is he was surrounded by 1st rounders (8) and played next to the greatest to ever do it RIP 26...so he was seen as the weakest link on that defense.

yep, while on this topic add Delaney getting tripped by Murrays pinky when he had a caravan in front of him, and Jaquan also getting snatched last year by one hand on what would of been another pick 6 vs FSU.. demetrius Jacksons drop last week 2, gotta make life easier on our selves down the line, and this week would be a great place to do it... playmaking is tweeds point, and I agree..

This will sound crazy..but the first thing I thought about when Delaney got tripped by a finger nail by a 180lb WR was, "This kid is so anxious to get to the sideline and get the TO chain hes not even thinking about returning that for extra yards!"...I really believe that. How the heck did he get tripped up so easily? LOL. Then instead of being mad he jumps up and sprints to the sideline for the chain. LOL.

(nitpicking of course. that was a HUGE interception at that time when FSU was trying to build momentum)

Advertisement
Though there is a lot of room for improvement, Im excited as all get out. This team is close, I can feel it. A lot of the issues are fixable and I believe we will see improvement throughout the year.

Jaquan Johnson had an opportunity to put his name next to those who have made HUGE plays in rivalry games & he just plained dropped it.

He had 95 yds of clear daylight in front of him. You HAVE to make that play ala Mr. Mo Sikes against florida.

Every dominant team, has always had an All American type playmaking safety.

[video=youtube_share;nzATpWDYBuM]https://youtu.be/nzATpWDYBuM[/video]

[video=youtube_share;eqUxYjuxFxk]https://youtu.be/eqUxYjuxFxk[/video]

JJ just dropped it he has made that play before.. he caught a big interception in last years game

Last edited:
yep, while on this topic add Delaney getting tripped by Murrays pinky when he had a caravan in front of him, and Jaquan also getting snatched last year by one hand on what would of been another pick 6 vs FSU.. demetrius Jacksons drop last week 2, gotta make life easier on our selves down the line, and this week would be a great place to do it... playmaking is tweeds point, and I agree..

This will sound crazy..but the first thing I thought about when Delaney got tripped by a finger nail by a 180lb WR was, "This kid is so anxious to get to the sideline and get the TO chain hes not even thinking about returning that for extra yards!"...I really believe that. How the heck did he get tripped up so easily? LOL. Then instead of being mad he jumps up and sprints to the sideline for the chain. LOL.

(nitpicking of course. that was a HUGE interception at that time when FSU was trying to build momentum)

you saw it in Redwine's reaction, his hands go to his helmet like, "aw man he was gone"

I love JJ. I was bummed when he dropped it as it would have closed the game right then and there. Outside of that, he played a solid game. I thought he would step up this year and be our playmaker on the back end and it's still the first half of the season and I think he will continue to develop and improve. Maybe we need to institute the push-ups for dropping pics rule again? Banking on true freshmen to be difference makers at any position isn't a good bet, its a different game from high school to college.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Anyone making excuses or disagreeing with Tweed should slap themselves.

A true hawk sixes that and we need more hawks.

I am very excited to see more of Amari Carter get adjusted to the book, I think he can be something special.

Watch the TE on that play. Turned Shaq around like. Jimbo came right back to him on the next play.

He was wide open....turned both perry andshaq...its laughable...the direct next play was to him..and it seemed like he was the guy on that as well which is why jimbo curssed the kid out

Advertisement
He missed the int. No doubt. It's one play in a long game though. I think he led us in tackles though, so he did something right. Bob Knowles and the LBs killed us in the FSU game.

On our list of problems from that FSU game, JJ is pretty far down the list.

Is that the same drive where the ref completely blew the call on the fumble that McIntosh was going to the house with?

Jaquan Johnson too slow and small. Knowles too slow, not athletic and lacks football smarts. Goldie left too many holes and we keep trying to fit incapable pieces and problems open up elsewhere. Fellas we need speed and skills and it ain't coming till next year. Even then it will be some growing pains, but not as bad.

Advertisement
Back