I'm on the Mullen bandwagon

Good convo Templar,

Some honest questions:

1. Do you believe the Mississippi State job is on the same level as Michigan State? I would argue it is closer to the Cincinnati job that Dantonio didn't fair well at, given their traditional stations and the state of the SEC vs Big Ten. I would argue that Mullen has ascended and maintained a program the same as Dantonio. It is just a program that had further to go with a lower overall ceiling.

2. Given recruiting in the SEC, how many times would you expect Mullen to beat traditional powers like Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Texas A&M? He has played them 25 times and is 5-20. He is 5-11 over the last 4 years. Does this mean he is closing the gap a bit between the programs?

3. Would you agree that Miss State has the deck stacked against them with regard to location, history/tradition, recruiting, conference? If so, with the Miss State roster over the past 3 years, what types of records would you expect from your coach of choice? Ex. Saban, Butch, Meyer, Kelly?

Michigan State is a better job than Mississippi State. The Spartans have had some good, even very good seasons, but generally behind Michigan and Ohio State in the conference. Similar to Iowa and Wisconsin. The Big 10 would be better served if Penn State and Nebraska can hire the right coach to re-establish them. Michigan State has a HC equal to Meyer and Harbaugh.

I cannot fathom Cincinnati a better job than any job in the SEC, other than perhaps Vanderbilt.

I would agree that Mississippi State has the deck stacked against them. No doubt Mullen has done well at MSU, but he has only made them better against unranked teams. I would not expect Mullen to beat Alabama or LSU very often, and Mullen is 1-13 against them. I think Saban and Meyer would have done more, but I don't believe they would have replicated their success at LSU/Alabama or Florida/Ohio State. Butch could have equaled his level at UNC. I have no idea what Chip Kelly would have done.

Advertisement
I know mullen has been severely under matched in most the games and it may not all be his fault but the simple fact is he cannot beat ranked teams 0-4 this year against ranked teams and 4-29 against ranked teams in general

That's a winning % of 12 against ranked teams..

I mean that's the Stat that we all hated golden for right?

Counting today's loss Dan Mullen has a record of 54-35 (26-30 in conference) at Mississippi State. Review his games against the typical SEC garbage OOC scheduling and his record is 33-35. He did go undefeated, 21-0, against the UABs, Jackson States, Alcorn States, and Tennessee-Martins of the college football world. Proven winner.

Next.

Advertisement
Folks can spin it how you want ...

But if the options are Mullen, Butch, Schiano, and Cristobal, then we're hiring an 8-4 coach, and hoping his access to more talent improves his record.

Take away the names, though. And evaluate of this ...

1 guy went .500 in the ACC
1 guy went .500 in the Big East
1 guy went .500 in the Sun Belt
1 guy went .500 in the SEC

Unless Chip Kelly is a realistic option, Mullen is the best bet.

And, No. What Butch Davis accomplished 16 years ago at Miami doesn't matter. Just like what Les Miles accomplished 5 years ago doesn't matter. Butch is not the same coach, and the game is not the same.

Last edited:

But if the options are Mullen, Butch, Schiano, and Cristobal, then we're hiring an 8-4 coach, and hoping his access to more talent improves his record.

And, No. What Butch Davis accomplished 16 years ago at Miami doesn't matter. Just like what Les Miles accomplished 5 years ago doesn't matter. Butch is not the same coach, and the game is not the same.

We're projecting what coaches would or wouldn't accomplish starting in 2016. At Miami.

Thank you.

Oh...if those names are the options we need better options. Where's the 'Korn Fairy 40'?

We're projecting what coaches would or wouldn't accomplish starting in 2016. At Miami.

Thank you.

Oh...if those names are the options we need better options. Where's the 'Korn Fairy 40'?

What are you talking about??

You can add whatever names you want. But the interest has to be mutual.

Winning coaches, at established programs, are not leaving to press the reset button. This isn't dynasty mode on NCAA College Football. Lol

Dudes who win are already getting paid. The only guys who are looking to switch jobs are guys wanting to step up in conference, or to leave the middle of their conference.

Aside from Bret Bielema, what Power 5 guy has left a winning program?

And it's pretty clear he left for the money ...

Thank you.

Winning coaches, at established programs, are not leaving to press the reset button. This isn't dynasty mode on NCAA College Football. Lol

Dudes who win are already getting paid. The only guys who are looking to switch jobs are guys wanting to step up in conference, or to leave the middle of their conference.

You are correct, coaches in winning programs at the top of Power 5 conferences are unlikely to change jobs unless substantial money or other motive is involved. Hiring a new HC generally means hiring someone looking to move up from a lesser program or a promotion to HC. This is not the point, however, and the 'Korn Fairy' reference is a joke. I'll remember to use an emoticon to signify humor or sarcasm.
--
My collection of posts on Dan Mullen were intended to point out the desire to 'hire a proven winner from a Power 5 program' requires definition. Many porsters state this requirement and then throw Mullen's name in the conversation. In my opinion he fails to meet the 'proven winner' job description.

A proven winner should have a winning (or near-winning record) against ranked teams and even better, won their conference or at least their division in their conference. Mullen has done neither.

Porsters refute this by claiming poverty at MSU and the belief that he would 'kill with Miami talent'. They are projecting him as a winner at Miami. This is faith-based rather than record-based.

David Shaw, referenced in another thread I started, meets the requirement.

Shaw is a 'proven winner' based on his record. Mullen is a 'projected winner' based on an assumption of HC skills and a roster of greater talent.

Is this too complicated?

NOTE: Of course Miami is not hiring Shaw. Mullen already makes over $4M at MSU. He unlikely to leave unless he realizes an opportunity for glory mandates he leave the SEC West for a less difficult path.
--

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fair points.

And Mullen is making coin. But Prescott is leaving after this season, and Mullen may be actually looking to press reset. Especially if he doesn't lose any money. I'm not sure Mullen's stock will ever be higher ... Cuz I'm not sure there will ever be this many quality openings in 1 season, again.

Thank you.

You are correct, coaches in winning programs at the top of Power 5 conferences are unlikely to change jobs unless substantial money or other motive is involved. Hiring a new HC generally means hiring someone looking to move up from a lesser program or a promotion to HC. This is not the point, however, and the 'Korn Fairy' reference is a joke. I'll remember to use an emoticon to signify humor or sarcasm.
--
My collection of posts on Dan Mullen were intended to point out the desire to 'hire a proven winner from a Power 5 program' requires definition. Many porsters state this requirement and then throw Mullen's name in the conversation. In my opinion he fails to meet the 'proven winner' job description.

A proven winner should have a winning (or near-winning record) against ranked teams and even better, won their conference or at least their division in their conference. Mullen has done neither.

Porsters refute this by claiming poverty at MSU and the belief that he would 'kill with Miami talent'. They are projecting him as a winner at Miami. This is faith-based rather than record-based.

David Shaw, referenced in another thread I started, meets the requirement.

Shaw is a 'proven winner' based on his record. Mullen is a 'projected winner' based on an assumption of HC skills and a roster of greater talent.

Is this too complicated?

NOTE: Of course Miami is not hiring Shaw. Mullen already makes over $4M at MSU. He unlikely to leave unless he realizes an opportunity for glory mandates he leave the SEC West for a less difficult path.
--

I'd rather go for Hugh Freeze(ducks head)

In all seriousness why did Florida not even bother with an ex-Gator who knew Florida but instead went to Colorado State to get McElwain?

Last edited:
I'd rather go for Hugh Freeze(ducks head)

In all seriousness why did Florida not even bother with an ex-Gator who knew Florida but instead went to Colorado State to get McElwain?

Would definitely take Freeze. But he ain't leaving! Lol

As for Florida ... i bet they wished they would have chosen Mullen over Muschamp ...

Advertisement
It's ******* ridiculous how some of you fools fall in love with 1 coach, and when someone brings up another VERY GOOD COACH, you blast him and say he wouldn't be a good fit for Miami, or was, in this case, a perennial 8-5 coach, while not putting in the context of where MSU was before he got there (and for the last 100 years) and not realizing he wouldn't be recruiting out of Starkville, MS and playing Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc. every year, and having to finish ahead of them, plus Ole Miss just to win the SEC West. You guys are probably the same people who aren't impressed with what Spurrier did at South Carolina, historically one of the worst major college football programs in the nation. We'd be lucky to get Mullen. He'd be a very good coach at Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back