I'm on the Mullen bandwagon

Cane01

Redshirt Freshman
Mullen actually would do well here. He could probably put together a very good staff.

Staff Assembly:

First he's tutored great dual threat college QB's at every stop. Josh Harris at Bowling Green, Alex Smith at Utah, Leak and Tebow at Florida also recruited Cam Newton to Florida originally, Prescott at MSU. That's a lot of success. It is a QB driven game, having them able to run is almost a necessity in today's game.

His current staff, namely co-ordinators, has a lot of recruiting ties to Florida besides Mullen himself.

His Co-OC/Passing game co-ordinator/ WR coach is Billy Gonzales who coached with him at Florida cor 4 years and also recruited the state when he was at LSU.

His other Co-OC/ Running game co-ordinator/OL coach OL is John Hevesy who coached OL and TE with him at Florida.

His DC/ LB coach is Manny Diaz who is from Miami and was a GA at FSU as well as DC at Texas.

His RB /Recruiting Co-ordinator is Greg Knox who was Auburn's WR/RC for a decade. They recruit the state of Florida a ton. He was responsible for central Florida and the Tampa area for Auburn.
An added bonus is his strength coach is Rick Court, a Mickey Marotti disciple. Marotti is Urban's strength guy from Florida and OSU. Court was Marotti's assistant at OSU for a few years.

Recruiting/Player Development: here are the guys drafted since his first 2009 class. Mostly include the 2009-2011 classes. Dak Prescott was part of the 2011 class as well as 4 other guys projected to be drafted this year by CBS 2016 pre draft grading.

2015 2 38 Preston Smith Redskins DE Mississippi State
2015 2 43 Benardrick McKinney Texans LB Mississippi State
2015 6 178 Matt Wells Patriots LB Mississippi State
2015 6 195 Malcom Johnson Browns TE Mississippi State
2015 6 205 Josh Robinson Colts RB Mississippi State
2015 UFA. Kaleb Eulls Saints DT Mississippi State
2014 3 81 Gabe Jackson Raiders OG Mississippi State
2014 UFA. Denico Autry Raiders DE Mississippi State
2013 2 36 Darius Slay Lions CB Mississippi State
2013 2 43 Johnthan Banks Buccaneers CB Mississippi State
2013 5 167 Josh Boyd Packers DT Mississippi State
2012 1 12 Fletcher Cox Eagles DT Mississippi State
2012 5 170 Vick Ballard Colts RB Mississippi State
2011 5 165 Pernell McPhee Ravens DE Mississippi State

Recruiting rankings per rivals:
2015- #22 , #7 in SEC
2014- #37 , #13 in SEC
2013- #26 , #11 in SEC
2012- #35 , #10 in SEC
2011- #44 , #11 in SEC
2010- #38 , #10 in SEC
2009- #25 , #11 in SEC

I believe he is a coach who is doing more with less in the SEC West, the toughest division in College Football. Those early classes weren't highly ranked but he is developing them in to NFL talent, while being more than competitive in the SEC.

Having said all this, with my luck, he will likely lay an egg tonight versus Ole Miss.

Advertisement
Mullen actually would do well here. He could probably put together a very good staff.

Staff Assembly:

First he's tutored great dual threat college QB's at every stop. Josh Harris at Bowling Green, Alex Smith at Utah, Leak and Tebow at Florida also recruited Cam Newton to Florida originally, Prescott at MSU. That's a lot of success. It is a QB driven game, having them able to run is almost a necessity in today's game.

His current staff, namely co-ordinators, has a lot of recruiting ties to Florida besides Mullen himself.

His Co-OC/Passing game co-ordinator/ WR coach is Billy Gonzales who coached with him at Florida cor 4 years and also recruited the state when he was at LSU.

His other Co-OC/ Running game co-ordinator/OL coach OL is John Hevesy who coached OL and TE with him at Florida.

His DC/ LB coach is Manny Diaz who is from Miami and was a GA at FSU as well as DC at Texas.

His RB /Recruiting Co-ordinator is Greg Knox who was Auburn's WR/RC for a decade. They recruit the state of Florida a ton. He was responsible for central Florida and the Tampa area for Auburn.
An added bonus is his strength coach is Rick Court, a Mickey Marotti disciple. Marotti is Urban's strength guy from Florida and OSU. Court was Marotti's assistant at OSU for a few years.

Recruiting/Player Development: here are the guys drafted since his first 2009 class. Mostly include the 2009-2011 classes. Dak Prescott was part of the 2011 class as well as 4 other guys projected to be drafted this year by CBS 2016 pre draft grading.

2015 2 38 Preston SmithRedskinsDEMississippi State
2015243Benardrick McKinneyTexansLBMississippi State
20156178Matt WellsPatriotsLBMississippi State
20156195Malcom JohnsonBrownsTEMississippi State
20156205Josh RobinsonColtsRBMississippi State
2015 UFA. Kaleb Eulls Saints DT Mississippi State
2014381Gabe JacksonRaidersOGMississippi State
2014 UFA. Denico Autry Raiders DE Mississippi State
2013236Darius SlayLionsCBMississippi State
2013243Johnthan BanksBuccaneersCBMississippi State
20135167Josh BoydPackersDTMississippi State
2012112Fletcher CoxEaglesDTMississippi State
20125170Vick BallardColtsRBMississippi State
20115165Pernell McPheeRavensDEMississippi State

Recruiting rankings per rivals:
2015- #22 , #7 in SEC
2014- #37 , #13 in SEC
2013- #26 , #11 in SEC
2012- #35 , #10 in SEC
2011- #44 , #11 in SEC
2010- #38 , #10 in SEC
2009- #25 , #11 in SEC

I believe he is a coach who is doing more with less in the SEC West, the toughest division in College Football. Those early classes weren't highly ranked but he is developing them in to NFL talent, while being more than competitive in the SEC.

Having said all this, with my luck, he will likely lay an egg tonight versus Ole Miss.

Sit the **** down

Advertisement
"he is a coach who is doing more with less"

Why is that an endorsement for THE U. I want a coach who knows what the heck to do with superior talent. When just went through **** with a coach who did well with less talent. That statement alone is enough to disqualify him. JJ knew who to deal with star talent. That is what we need. Not another dude who once made chump change look like folding money.

We could do way worse. He is the offensive mind and Manny Diaz is a good defensive mind that would fit well at Miami. He often gets criticized for being too aggressive putting pressure and calling blitzes.. That's what I want though

Advertisement
I cant lie i do like his DLines and OLines thats about it. Thats what wins games though

Still bbb

Can see Mullen at UM. He's done all he can do at Mississippi State. And having a DC with roots in Miami sure helps his case. Would rather have Herman or Kelly if we can't have Butch, but think Mullen is probably definitely being considered.

If we're content with collapsing at the end of the season, finishing 8-5 or 7-6, and getting smashed by Georgia Tech (any of this sound familiar) then sure, why not throw $5M at Dan Mullen.

Would be a very good hire IMO. Knows a good offense and should bring some good defensive coaches with him. People don't realize how hard it is to win at Miss. State.

Advertisement

Why is that an endorsement for THE U. I want a coach who knows what the heck to do with superior talent. When just went through **** with a coach who did well with less talent. That statement alone is enough to disqualify him. JJ knew who to deal with star talent. That is what we need. Not another dude who once made chump change look like folding money.

Okay. He did more with more at Florida with Tebow, Leak, Harvin, Pouncey Brothers, Hernandez, Demps, Ingram, Murphy, Cooper, Baker and Rainey. Co-ordinated the offense for two championships.

Realistically, if Saban or Meyer took over MSU tomorrow, what kind of record would you expect next year? In 3 years? Saban was 34-24-1 in 5 years at Michigan State which has much more history and tradition than Mississippi State. Saban finished 5th twice and 6th twice. Meyer never won the MAC when at Bowling Green, in fact lost 6 games in his 2 years and never finished higher than 3rd in his division.

The point is that you can't win big at some places. It doesn't mean they were bad coaches. I would argue that Mullen has done better in his first coaching job, in a tougher league with worse circumstances, than Saban and Meyer who are considered the best coaches in CFB.

Last edited:

Okay. He did more with more at Florida with Tebow, Leak, Harvin, Pouncey Brothers, Hernandez, Demps, Ingram, Murphy, Cooper, Baker and Rainey. Co-ordinated the offense for two championships.

Crap I thought that was Urban. He does know what to do with talent -- he just can't keep it under control.

Dont get how anyone can be on the Mullen, Herman, Crisotbal, Fuente, Kiffen, etc Bandwagon and NOT be all in on Chip Kelly.

1a)Chip kelly 1b)Butch Davis 1c)Hue Jackson.

Advertisement
No way man. Butch is way better and he's all rested up from not coaching recently. Did you see what Butch built here 20 years ago? Yeah that's what I though....

BBB

:hh9BEeLFGEOeZUWG.jp:hh9BEeLFGEOeZUWG.jp:hh9BEeLFGEOeZUWG.jp

It is a little concerning that Miss. State and Prescott haven't really improved from last season. They lost some good players from last season but Prescott was the one getting all the hype and he hasn't improved at all.

Advertisement
Back