I'm on the Mullen bandwagon

I'm in the front seat of the Mullen bandwagon. He's the guy.

But Manny Diaz is a really bad DC. Proved it at Texas, and is confirming it at Miss State.

I hope he downy bring Manny as DC ...

Advertisement
Are you off the bandwagon yet? They are getting rolled by an Ole Miss team that lost to Memphis / Fuente.

Remember when Butch lost 31-6 to ECU? 66-13 to Syracuse? 43-10 to Virginia Tech? while coaching AT Miami.

Remember when Mullen won a BCS bowl game? Remember when he finished 11-1?

We could do this all day.

Advertisement
Dont get how anyone can be on the Mullen, Herman, Crisotbal, Fuente, Kiffen, etc Bandwagon and NOT be all in on Chip Kelly.

1a)Chip kelly 1b)Butch Davis 1c)Hue Jackson.

Chip Kelly is far and away the top guy that could be hired here. There is Chip and then everybody else.

Coaches' Actual Records Against Ranked Teams - Team Speed Kills
Record of CFB coaches vs teams that finished the year ranked. Apparently guys like Dantonio, Gundy, Meyer, Malzahn, Kelly, Briles, Swinney, Richt, Petrino, Sumlin,,Mora,Freeze, Whittingham, Patterson. All bums with losing records, all at jobs more conducive to winning than Mullen.

Since 2010:

D'Antonio 14-10 > Mullen 3-23

I am not saying Mullen is a coRch, but his record does not indicate he's more than a second-tier choice. If someone wants to say "he'd kill with Miami talent", fine.

Advertisement
Record of CFB coaches vs teams that finished the year ranked. Apparently guys like Dantonio, Gundy, Meyer, Malzahn, Kelly, Briles, Swinney, Richt, Petrino, Sumlin,,Mora,Freeze, Whittingham, Patterson. All bums with losing records, all at jobs more conducive to winning than Mullen.

Since 2010:

I am not saying Mullen is a coRch, but his record does not indicate he's more than a second-tier choice. If someone wants to say "he'd kill with Miami talent", fine.

How was Dantonio at Cincinnati?

I'm in the front seat of the Mullen bandwagon. He's the guy.

But Manny Diaz is a really bad DC. Proved it at Texas, and is confirming it at Miss State.

I hope he downy bring Manny as DC ...

Your bandwagon crashed and burned.

Since 2010:

Dantonio's first three years at MSU, his second coaching stop, don't count, but Mullen's full tenure at MIssissippi State does? Gotcha, seems logical.

BTW, Dantonio was 18-17 at Cincy overall. In Conference USA and the Big East. Impressive. Not sure why MSU ever hired him. Maybe we should hire Tuberville. He's 25-13 at Cincy. He's accomplished more at Cincy than Dantonio ever did.

Context people.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mullen has the same amount of championships as those two.

So does al golden, what's your point?

There is no way you can compare Al Golden to Mullen.

Point is that I dont think any of them are home runs. Putting aside for a second that I do not believe Chip Kelly is ever gonna get hired, I think that all these coaches have question marks, like every hire. The closest things to home runs are Saban and Meyer and possibly Harabaugh. You can pick all these coaches all apart. I think Mullen is a good coach. I think he would do well at Miami. I would rather have him than Butch Part 2. I think Kelly is a tad overrated, but of course I would love to see Miami hire him. Not gonna happen but sure it would be great.

U get all you Mullen peps on that band wagon, and ride that sh*t right on out of town.

Advertisement

Since 2010:

Dantonio's first three years at MSU, his second coaching stop, don't count, but Mullen's full tenure at MIssissippi State does? Gotcha, seems logical.

BTW, Dantonio was 18-17 at Cincy overall. In Conference USA and the Big East. Impressive. Not sure why MSU ever hired him. Maybe we should hire Tuberville. He's 25-13 at Cincy. He's accomplished more at Cincy than Dantonio ever did.

Context people.

I compared the last six seasons for both coaches, a fairly long time sample, and was not including today's results. Mullen is losing big today, so I'll say 14-10 > an assumed 3-24. I could add the D'Antonio ascended and maintained a consistent level of quality whereas Mullen had a good month in October of 2014. As of today D'Antonio has a body of work exceeding Mullen's.

That said, Mullen has an excellent record as a QB/OC coach under Urban Meyer and made MSU a consistent winner against unranked teams. Posters clamor for a 'proven winner from a Power 5 conference' yet name a coach with 3 wins in 27 attempts against ranked teams. Even if you remove Alabama and LSU he's 2-13. Mullen beat LSU in October of 2014.

If someone wants to say "he'd kill with Miami talent", fine. There's nothing to quantify this opinion.

BTW - Dantonio has a past history at Michigan State, working for Nick Saban. He was also DC at Ohio State for the 2002 Fiesta Bowl against Miami. Michigan State hired an 'Michigan State guy' with a mediocre record. He later proved to be a COACH in capital letters. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Has he ever lost a game he should have won? Yes. 2015 vs Nebraska. I'm sure there a few others.

You can't always rely on past records to forecast future success.

Context people.

Last edited:

Since 2010:

Context people.

I compared the last six seasons for both coaches, a fairly long time sample, and was not including today's results. Mullen is losing big today, so I'll say 14-10 > an assumed 3-24. I could add the D'Antonio ascended and maintained a consistent level of quality whereas Mullen had a good month in October of 2014. As of today D'Antonio has a body of work exceeding Mullen's.

That said, Mullen has an excellent record as a QB/OC coach under Urban Meyer and made MSU a consistent winner against unranked teams. Posters clamor for a 'proven winner from a Power 5 conference' yet name a coach with 3 wins in 27 attempts against ranked teams. Even if you remove Alabama and LSU he's 2-13. Mullen beat LSU in October of 2014.

If someone wants to say "he'd kill with Miami talent", fine. There's nothing to quantify this opinion.

BTW - Dantonio has a past history at Michigan State, working for Nick Saban. He was also DC at Ohio State for the 2002 Fiesta Bowl against Miami. Michigan State hired an 'Michigan State guy' with a mediocre record. He later proved to be a COACH in capital letters. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Has he ever lost a game he should have won? Yes. 2015 vs Nebraska. I'm sure there a few others.

You can't always rely on past records to forecast future success.

Context people.

Good convo Templar,

Some honest questions:

1. Do you believe the Mississippi State job is on the same level as Michigan State? I would argue it is closer to the Cincinnati job that Dantonio didn't fair well at, given their traditional stations and the state of the SEC vs Big Ten. I would argue that Mullen has ascended and maintained a program the same as Dantonio. It is just a program that had further to go with a lower overall ceiling.

2. Given recruiting in the SEC, how many times would you expect Mullen to beat traditional powers like Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Texas A&M? He has played them 25 times and is 5-20. He is 5-11 over the last 4 years. Does this mean he is closing the gap a bit between the programs?

3. Would you agree that Miss State has the deck stacked against them with regard to location, history/tradition, recruiting, conference? If so, with the Miss State roster over the past 3 years, what types of records would you expect from your coach of choice? Ex. Saban, Butch, Meyer, Kelly?

I would be happy with Mullen. Sure, we all want Butch, maybe Hue Jackson or Chip Kelly. Butch remains my first choice. But, too many factors rule against these guys getting the job. The BOT probably is uneasy with Butch's departure from UM and with the NCAA business at UNC. Jackson will land a NFL HC job. Kelly will more likely go to USC, LSU, Georgia, or Texas for much more than UM will pay. I am not sold on Herman or Fuente; they might be good coaches, but it is difficult to judge based on the quality of their conference opponents. I have a bad feeling about Schiano and Mario, not sure why. Pagano or Chud might be good, but it is not certain that they will lose their Indy gigs or that they won't become coordinators at another NFL team.

Mullen seems the most affordable guy with a solid record. Why would top high school talent go to MSU instead of Alabama, Auburn, LSU or even Ole Miss? His recruiting classes rank lower than UM's in the last 5 years, yet he has been much more competitive than UM while in the country's strongest conference. Last year, MSU beat LSU, Texas A&M, and Auburn before losing to Alabama, 20-25. His current salary is $4 million plus bonuses. That is certainly within UM's range. I believe that $4 million has been mentioned here and on several other sites. Throw in some additional money from alumni and local promotional arrangements, and he could be making $5 million. Heck, I might even make an alumnus donation myself.

I would also take Mark Dantonio and he certainly is affordable. Currently makes $3.67 million. UM should be able to top that. If they hire Dantonio, I might double my alumnus donation.

Advertisement
Back