I'm just glad the mopes ...

To be fair to both arguments here, there were a few posters on the game day thread that had nothing but negative things to say about Mario and the team. Maybe 2-3 posters. I don't know the exact count of members on CIS, but I'm sure it's well over 300+, so 2-3 negative members or mopes is a very small percentage of this board.

Majority of us were pleased with just about everything we saw from the game. IMO, this was the best season opener I can remember in a long time as far as just quality of play. Yes, I know Miami Ohio is not a very good team, but they aren't some FBS scrub not even worthy of playing (BC, Savananna ST, Gardner Webb, etc...). Miami Ohio is a mid-tier FCS school that can give any power 5 school problems if not prepared for them. I felt we dominated them for the most part.

I did make one gripe/complaint about the penalties. We had 8 for 60 yards and it is somewhat of a concern to me. Don't know if that makes me a mope or not.
Voicing honest concerns should never censored on a message board. Identifying weaknesses and and pointing out potential flaws is part of being a passionate fan. There's a lot to be excited about but life isn't all rainbows and lollipops. Those penalties are a fair concern but I would point out that Friday was the first time this OL has played together in a real game and to add to that it was the first game under a new OC. I think Anez Cooper had two of them but he is young and I'm sure he will be extra focused next Saturday.

Also IIRC this Redhawk defense was 35th in total defense last year and they returned 9 starters from that squad so yes they are G5 but they weren't exactly chopped liver. That is exactly the type of defense that would stuff our running game in years past but this time our OL took those boys behind the woodshed and bent them over the sink with a John Holmes sized ***** wearing a sandpaper condom.

Advertisement
I’m not actually the one that’s doing the cherry-picking...

There’s an entire thread with literally hundreds of people predicting that we would beat Miami of Ohio by a fairly high margin, so again who is this “no one” that predicted that we wouldn’t win, when the overwhelming majority of the fans did the exact opposite?

I’m asking if there’s so many mopes, how come most people have predicted us to have a winning season?

Maybe the “Mopes” aren’t actually as many as you all seem to think, unless as I asked before, the rest of yall are just Slurpers?
Whatever the label people wanna use it generally just means "Person in need of conflict and the obsession to argue the point of conflict with anyone within earshot"......
Is that kinda close??? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Voicing honest concerns should never censored on a message board. Identifying weaknesses and and pointing out potential flaws is part of being a passionate fan. There's a lot to be excited about but life isn't all rainbows and lollipops. Those penalties are a fair concern but I would point out that Friday was the first time this OL has played together in a real game and to add to that it was the first game under a new OC. I think Anez Cooper had two of them but he is young and I'm sure he will be extra focused next Saturday.

Also IIRC this Redhawk defense was 35th in total defense last year and they returned 9 starters from that squad so yes they are G5 but they weren't exactly chopped liver. That is exactly the type of defense that would stuff our running game in years past but this time our OL took those boys behind the woodshed and bent them over the sink with a John Holmes sized ***** wearing a sandpaper condom.
Exactly. Last years team beats this Redhawks team 19-16, (or some similar score) and it's a dog fight down to the last minute. Miami Ohio would have somehow played more physical than us, although we were the bigger team.

The mopes in my opinion are about 8 dudes and there are about 8 slurpers. The difference is that the mopes are proactive in their negativity and the slurpers are reactionary in their blanket optimism.

Most of the mopes talking points are legitimate criticisms and necessary to point out. The issue is that these realistic gripes (which most all agree with) become “negativity” when they are repeated over and over again approximately 10 times a day by each mope. They literally find (not purposely, it’s part of their compulsive nature) 10 ways to say the same legit concerns about our team every single day. This redundancy and lack of self-awareness leads to the label of “mope”.

Both sides are manic and compulsive in their response to the complacent and unsuccessful football program we’ve been witnessing for almost 20 seasons. When we win, both sides cope much better. The benefit of both, especially the mopes is that they keep the conversation going each day and keep the post numbers up by restating our most legitimate gripes every single day. This can be very frustrating for someone who more healthily copes with bad times/results, or the other extreme, someone who copes with bad times/results by ignoring them or their causes altogether.

Redundancy is the main issue and similarity constituting what a Slurper or Mope is. During the off-season especially, (where new results cannot be made) re-stating the obvious issues or constantly ignoring them in a myriad of different ways can be nauseating, leading to the creation of these labels.

Winning heals all of this, and both sides are on board with that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The mopes in my opinion are about 8 dudes and there are about 8 slurpers. The difference is that the mopes are proactive in their negativity and the slurpers are reactionary in the blanket optimism.

Most of the mopes talking points are legitimate criticisms and necessary to point out. The issue is that these realistic gripes (which most all agree with) become “negativity” when they are repeated over and over again approximately 10 times a day by each mope. They literally find (not purposely, it’s part of their compulsive nature) 10 ways to say the same legit concerns about our team every single day. This redundancy and lack of self-awareness leads to the label of “mope”.

Both sides are manic and compulsive in their response to the complacent and unsuccessful football program we’ve been witnessing for almost 20 seasons. When we win, both sides cope much better. The benefit of both, especially the mopes is that they keep the conversation going each day and keep the post numbers up by restating our most legitimate gripes every single day. This can be very frustrating for someone who more healthily copes with bad times/results, or the other extreme, someone who copes with bad times/results by ignoring them or their causes.

Redundancy is the main issue and similarity constituting what a Slurper or Mope is. During the off-season especially (where new results cannot be made) re-stating the obvious issues or constantly ignoring them in a myriad of different ways can be nauseating, leading to the creation of these labels.

Brother that was absolutely epic! That was the most cogent and articulate analysis/breakdown of the Mope/Slurper dynamic that I've ever read. A very insightful, informative and well reasoned explanation of that topic. Well done.

8CCG2Q.gif

Who are these mopes yall keep referring too?

The majority of the board predicted us to win this game & have a 8-4/9-3 season overall.

If anyone who raises a legitimate question or gives a criticism a “Mope”, does that make the rest of you Slurpers?
It's a very complicated emotional litmus test.

easy gif1693745576658.gif

Advertisement
Thank you "mopes" for shutting up your "pie-holes"
Maybe you sunshine pumpers don’t understand that the team gets sheit when they play like sheit, as opposed to pretending like something else happened. Nothing more, nothing less. They played well yesterday. Mopes don’t have to lie about performance. They tell the truth, as much as you may hate that.

Advertisement
The mopes in my opinion are about 8 dudes and there are about 8 slurpers. The difference is that the mopes are proactive in their negativity and the slurpers are reactionary in their blanket optimism.

Both sides are manic and compulsive in their response to the complacent and unsuccessful football program we’ve been witnessing for almost 20 seasons. When we win, both sides cope much better. The benefit of both, especially the mopes is that they keep the conversation going each day and keep the post numbers up by restating our most legitimate gripes every single day. This can be very frustrating for someone who more healthily copes with bad times/results, or the other extreme, someone who copes with bad times/results by ignoring them or their causes.

Redundancy is the main issue and similarity constituting what a Slurper or Mope is. During the off-season especially (where new results cannot be made) re-stating the obvious issues or constantly ignoring them in a myriad of different ways can be nauseating, leading to the creation of these labels.

This is the most perfect description. I've bookmarked it to refer to in the future when one side starts up and this same conversation takes place.

Brother that was absolutely epic! That was the most cogent and articulate analysis/breakdown of the Mope/Slurper dynamic that I've ever read. A very insightful, informative and well reasoned explanation of that topic. Well done.
Thank you, glad you agree and benefitted. It’s been on my mind for awhile now, just never cared to express or explain until now 😂

Advertisement
People keep starting anti-mope threads as a solution to a problem in their heads.

For backup, they cite the Game Day thread and a thread titled “Overreactions”… because those are logical representations of reality…

1-0. Beat A&M.

Advertisement
Back