I'm Gonna Give It To Ya Straight, Bubs -- Linebackers

Advertisement
I hated the McCloud was going to be the best of the 3 linebackers narrative a bunch of you have been going with.

He needs to get better.

Pinckney is our best LB. Don't care what anyone says

Need a much better effort defensively all around vs GT and that ****** option. I think most guys were just pressing to make a play.

We do know that they are true sophomores and there is going to be some set backs. Last year they played unreal and now they are struggling a little and we are making it like we have the worse set

I love Shaq, but on the Izzo TD he barely dropped and nobody re-routed the receivers. It was ugly af.
If you watch teams like Alabama and Georgia play D - you see Match Zone coverages where the defense reacts to the routes and almost play man inside a zone concept. Our guys are dropping and covering empty grass.
Also our DB's timing on blitzes have been poor.
Great win, but if we don't clean it up and tackle better we're going to lose a game or 2.

Advertisement
McCloud missed a ton of tackles, but Pinckney was the one I noticed ran himself out of the play multiple times on big runs. Just horrible run fits. Shaq had an ok game but Pinckney and McCloud were horrid.

The lbs instead of sitting back for a second, reading the play and filling a gap and making the tackle for a 2 yard gain, they just fly up field recklessly leaving huge holes and big gains. Just play disciplined and tackle the man for a 2-3 yard gain. Every play doesn't need to be a TFL. Shaq had an ok game but Pinckney and McCloud were horrid.

I love Shaq, but on the Izzo TD he barely dropped and nobody re-routed the receivers. It was ugly af.
If you watch teams like Alabama and Georgia play D - you see Match Zone coverages where the defense reacts to the routes and almost play man inside a zone concept. Our guys are dropping and covering empty grass.
Great win, but if we don't clean it up and tackle better we're going to lose a game or 2.

Yup.

That's what Diaz teaches apparently. It's so outdated and flawed. I was just telling my HC yesterday, I would love to talk to a DC that prefers spot-drops and hear their logic. Why is it better to sit and cover grass rather then run to the apex of a WR?

Yup.

That's what Diaz teaches apparently. It's so outdated and flawed. I was just telling my HC yesterday, I would love to talk to a DC that prefers spot-drops and hear their logic. Why is it better to sit and cover grass rather then run to the apex of a WR?

LoL. Right on brother. I was at a clinic back in August. Head coach of Falls Church High School here in Virginia was going over linebacker play. He calls his defense. He plays match zone with his linebackers and corners. Funny guy. He says usually only has 1 smart linebacker. Most of his kids are very bright. Few have played youth ball.
He said if his kids can figure it out how hard can it be. The key is the #2 receiver and it will tell you everything you need to know on route combinations.

Yup.

LoL. Right on brother. I was at a clinic back in August. Head coach of Falls Church High School here in Virginia was going over linebacker play. He calls his defense. He plays match zone with his linebackers and corners. Funny guy. He says usually only has 1 smart linebacker. Most of his kids are very bright. Few have played youth ball.
He said if his kids can figure it out how hard can it be. The key is the #2 receiver and it will tell you everything you need to know on route combinations.

It's harder to teach than spot-dropping, and requires lots of reps to perfect, but in the long run it's going to give you better intermediate pass defense.

It takes a while to train a kid to run to a WR rather than a spot on the field. There's wayyyy too much open space on the field today to just run to a spot and stare at the QB. And today's offenses are predicated on taking advantage of those spaces.

Advertisement
GT is coming. Our LB's better bring it because if they don't....

McCloud missed a ton of tackles, but Pinckney was the one I noticed ran himself out of the play multiple times on big runs. Just horrible run fits. Shaq had an ok game but Pinckney and McCloud were horrid.

The lbs instead of sitting back for a second, reading the play and filling a gap and making the tackle for a 2 yard gain, they just fly up field recklessly leaving huge holes and big gains. Just play disciplined and tackle the man for a 2-3 yard gain. Every play doesn't need to be a TFL. Shaq had an ok game but Pinckney and McCloud were horrid.

Agreed and I to a large extent I think the LB play is scheme related meaning that I believe they are being coached to play that way. This is the root of my criticism of Diaz. His defense is often flat out reckless in it's attemp to be super aggressive. At times it seems that we are being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive. It is also become obvious that Diaz has no problem being fundamentally unsound in order to create "chaos". I also notice our LBs needlessly hung up with blockers because Diaz demand"playing with violence".

Remember that anonymous quote by an ACC coach who said that Diaz is good but relies heavily on gimmicks in an attempt to show everyone what a genius he is? I don't particularly like saying it but that coach was right. I would have figured that after all of the experience Diaz had that he would have adjusted, tweeked and fine tuned his defense but surprisingly, that does not seem to be the case. Someone here mentioned that Diaz likes to fancy himself as Jim Johnson type DC. Not even close.

Our LB's will forever be bad in coverage. We teach them to spot-drop and stare at the QB. We're stuck in the 1980's.

Go watch Shaq during that Izzo TD.

Closest threat to Shaq was Izzo. No idea what why he didn't carry him up the seam. Poor coaching.

GT feasts on over-aggressive linebackers. We have handled them the last few years, so I hope Diaz has them playing disciplined.
The whole approach to playing GT is different, but missing tackles and taking bad angles lets them grind through the clock.

Advertisement
Our LB's will forever be bad in coverage. We teach them to spot-drop and stare at the QB. We're stuck in the 1980's.

Closest threat to Shaq was Izzo. No idea what why he didn't carry him up the seam. Poor coaching.

Even if he doesn't carry him, I'd like to see him at least collision him so that Izzo has to widen his route and can't just scream towards our Safety, know what I mean?

You're asking a lot of your Safeties if you're not gonna apex/collision WR's. Imagine how accurate that throw would've had to be had the ball needed to be placed between Shaq and the Safety. (in a tight window)

Even if he doesn't carry him, I'd like to see him at least collision him so that Izzo has to widen his route and can't just scream towards our Safety, know what I mean?

You're asking a lot of your Safeties if you're not gonna apex/collision WR's. Imagine how accurate that throw would've had to be had the ball needed to be placed between Shaq and the Safety. (in a tight window)

I know you've been a big advocate for more of a pattern match concept from our linebackers Macho, and i feel like they are smart enough to learn it and execute well on gameday. I mean, its pretty elementary stuff to re-route or get to the apex of routes right? Wonder why we just spot drop and watch crossers run by and through the zones.

I know you've been a big advocate for more of a pattern match concept from our linebackers Macho, and i feel like they are smart enough to learn it and execute well on gameday. I mean, its pretty elementary stuff to re-route or get to the apex of routes right? Wonder why we just spot drop and watch crossers run by and through the zones.

I don't know, dude. Some DC's just prefer spot-dropping for some reason. *shrug*

Maybe there's a benefit that I'm not aware of but I can't fathom why it would be better than pattern-matching, a concept that the best defensive coach in football invented many years ago.

Advertisement

I don't know, dude. Some DC's just prefer spot-dropping for some reason. *shrug*

Maybe there's a benefit that I'm not aware of but I can't fathom why it would be better than pattern-matching, a concept that the best defensive coach in football invented many years ago.

It frustrates me to no end... I feel like with the penetration our front 4 gets we could be an extremely stifling defense against the pass

Yup.

It's harder to teach than spot-dropping, and requires lots of reps to perfect, but in the long run it's going to give you better intermediate pass defense.

It takes a while to train a kid to run to a WR rather than a spot on the field. There's wayyyy too much open space on the field today to just run to a spot and stare at the QB. And today's offenses are predicated on taking advantage of those spaces.

According to you all the UM coaches are inept, total morons. But they are making a lot of money in their profession. But here you are Coach Hembra posting **** about them 24/7. Freaking failure of a high school coach. I wonder how much you get paid for it? GTFOH and get a job or something. Freaking hater.

Yup.

According to you all the UM coaches are inept, total morons. But they are making a lot of money in their profession. But here you are Coach Hembra posting **** about them 24/7. Freaking failure of a high school coach. I wonder how much you get paid for it? GTFOH and get a job or something. Freaking hater.

Typing-troll.jpg

That play Shaq was the low hole drop... with a safety over top... his job was to get underneath then spy... watched the play several times the questioned him about it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back