I'm Gonna Give It To Ya Straight, Bubs -- Linebackers

glad they got their poor performance out of the way before gt tries to run it down our throats

Advertisement
Our LB's will forever be bad in coverage. We teach them to spot-drop and stare at the QB. We're stuck in the 1980's.

Go watch Shaq during that Izzo TD.
That play Shaq was the low hole drop... with a safety over top... his job was to get underneath then spy... watched the play several times the questioned him about it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bruh, i appreciate you doing this. this is waaay more than we get from our local media. they rather ask ****** "talk about" questions.

Our LB's will forever be bad in coverage. We teach them to spot-drop and stare at the QB. We're stuck in the 1980's.

Closest threat to Shaq was Izzo. No idea what why he didn't carry him up the seam. Poor coaching.

Even if he doesn't carry him, I'd like to see him at least collision him so that Izzo has to widen his route and can't just scream towards our Safety, know what I mean?

You're asking a lot of your Safeties if you're not gonna apex/collision WR's. Imagine how accurate that throw would've had to be had the ball needed to be placed between Shaq and the Safety. (in a tight window)

I know you've been a big advocate for more of a pattern match concept from our linebackers Macho, and i feel like they are smart enough to learn it and execute well on gameday. I mean, its pretty elementary stuff to re-route or get to the apex of routes right? Wonder why we just spot drop and watch crossers run by and through the zones.

I don't know, dude. Some DC's just prefer spot-dropping for some reason. *shrug*

Maybe there's a benefit that I'm not aware of but I can't fathom why it would be better than pattern-matching, a concept that the best defensive coach in football invented many years ago.

The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle?

Manny Diaz: Building the New Texas Defense

Middle of the Field Safety Coverages
Manny Diaz's base defense is a pattern match Cover 3 that is derived from the Saban school of thought. If you are interested in a more technical approach Brophy Football has some beautiful posts on the pattern match Cover 3. Spend some time there, you won't be disappointed. Essentially, I'm repackaging his insights and attempting to relate them to what we saw in the Spring Game, but I highly recommend reading what he has to offer if you have the time and interest. The pattern match Cover 3 is the heart of Diaz's defense because the understanding of position maintenance that his players develop in this defense feeds into their technique in every other part of this coverage tree. Here's the basic concept of a Cover 3 zone:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/BarkingCarnival/Barking Carnival III/d0652733.jpg

You had the same complaints about the last defensive staff (until you and Coach D had your individual chalk talk session and you said he was a defensive genius). It's my guess that Manny (as well as the last staff) teach pattern matching? Right?

Disclaimer: This is in no way defending Diaz....his defense has performed atrociously up to this point.

Pinckney by far playing the best. Shaq is not playing bad, but not good either. Mccloud is playing to Jordan Futch levels. Manny better cut out that theTHUD **** during practice this week bc GT will be very tough

Not sure I agree with the bolded, at least regarding the FSU game. On almost all of FSU’s big run plays, Pinckney was the one bolting straight into the LOS, a few times running into (what appeared to be) Shaq’s gap. Can’t remember who posted it, but there’s a thread on here with several gifs showing this. Not sure at all what he was thinking on those plays, took himself totally out of the play and left a lot of wide open field for Akers and Patrick.

Before FSU, though, you’re probably right. Shaq hasn’t been bad, but a far cry from most of last year without a doubt. McCloud, not sure what’s happening with him but he has been extremely bad this year, can’t tackle to save his life. If they don’t tighten up, we might not stop GT’s offense a single drive this Saturday.

Closest threat to Shaq was Izzo. No idea what why he didn't carry him up the seam. Poor coaching.

Even if he doesn't carry him, I'd like to see him at least collision him so that Izzo has to widen his route and can't just scream towards our Safety, know what I mean?

You're asking a lot of your Safeties if you're not gonna apex/collision WR's. Imagine how accurate that throw would've had to be had the ball needed to be placed between Shaq and the Safety. (in a tight window)

I know you've been a big advocate for more of a pattern match concept from our linebackers Macho, and i feel like they are smart enough to learn it and execute well on gameday. I mean, its pretty elementary stuff to re-route or get to the apex of routes right? Wonder why we just spot drop and watch crossers run by and through the zones.

I don't know, dude. Some DC's just prefer spot-dropping for some reason. *shrug*

Maybe there's a benefit that I'm not aware of but I can't fathom why it would be better than pattern-matching, a concept that the best defensive coach in football invented many years ago.

The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle?

Manny Diaz: Building the New Texas Defense

Middle of the Field Safety Coverages
Manny Diaz's base defense is a pattern match Cover 3 that is derived from the Saban school of thought. If you are interested in a more technical approach Brophy Football has some beautiful posts on the pattern match Cover 3. Spend some time there, you won't be disappointed. Essentially, I'm repackaging his insights and attempting to relate them to what we saw in the Spring Game, but I highly recommend reading what he has to offer if you have the time and interest. The pattern match Cover 3 is the heart of Diaz's defense because the understanding of position maintenance that his players develop in this defense feeds into their technique in every other part of this coverage tree. Here's the basic concept of a Cover 3 zone:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/BarkingCarnival/Barking Carnival III/d0652733.jpg

You had the same complaints about the last defensive staff (until you and Coach D had your individual chalk talk session and you said he was a defensive genius). It's my guess that Manny (as well as the last staff) teach pattern matching? Right?

Disclaimer: This is in no way defending Diaz....his defense has performed atrociously up to this point.

I don't know WTF he teaches. I know what I'm watching on Saturdays though. Our LB's standing and covering grass most of the time.

Advertisement

That play Shaq was the low hole drop... with a safety over top... his job was to get underneath then spy... watched the play several times the questioned him about it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah I can tell he was the low hole drop. My issue is that we don't get depth and/or make an effort to re-route the receiver, allowing him to scream directly at the Safety.

Saying that he was spying would explain why he didn't get adequate depth in his drop. (can't get depth if you're spying)

It's safe to say we had better safeties and corners last season and that's why the front 7 played so great

It's safe to say we had better safeties and corners last season and that's why the front 7 played so great

I think a lot of peoe are missing this exact point. Our safeties this year have been average at best. Carter and Jenkins cleaned a lot up in the back end last year.

Advertisement
Back