I'll say this about Thursday and this team

dycane

Senior
Very few teams in America should be expected to walk into Chapel Hill on Thursday and dominate. History teaches us that these games are generally brutal for the road favorites. And if you really unpack the data, these games are especially brutal for a road favorite playing a conference opponent within its own division. Not that I would visit it generally, but I fully expect the game day thread on this board to be an absolute cesspool. Rational fans with perspective will be happy if UM simply escapes with another victory and remains undefeated. I am certainly among those and expect nothing more (which is why my money is staying on the sidelines this game).

That said, if we somehow control this game and win by two touchdowns or more, then I am ready to proclaim that this team is special. It's not the most talented team we've had, but a resounding victory under these circumstances is a strong indicator that this team has elite intelligence, discipline, preparation, and heart. Those things, when looking forward and considering our potential to win the ACC and compete for a MNC, can compensate for talent deficiencies (and we don't have many).

Bottom line: I'm happy if we win -- I don't care what it looks like. If we win convincingly, however, then buckle in. I think this game is a stronger indicator of our championship prospects than the Florida game simply because of the circumstances and environment.

These are the games that separate the pretty **** good from the great.

As an aside, I hope the younger fans take a step back and appreciate where we are right now. UM football has been the single biggest bonding point for my father and I over the years. Some of my greatest memories with him are of watching the Canes since the first home game he brought me to in 1986. It became part of my blood. It represented something more than just fandom to me -- I fell in love with the non-conformity. I fell in love with the concept of knowing you are great, yet working harder than the rest, challenging yourself against the best, and delivering on the biggest stage despite the establishment's vitriol and hatred.

The last ten years have been tough to bear as I watched two incompetents throw away something truly unique that was built by geniuses over decades. It has sucked to see the SEC/ESPN money machine attempt to render UM obsolete. Part of being a fan of the Canes is the idea that you believe your team can beat anybody at anytime in any environment. And this is the first time in 10 years that I've had that feeling. So, enjoy and appreciate this feeling no matter what happens as the season goes on. It is clear we are back on the road to greatness. And in true Cane fashion, we're doing it under the worst of circumstances and against all odds.

Have a great night gentlemen. I'll see you in Chapel Hill.

Advertisement
This is also a special game because of the Thursday night aspect. When we played ufelony it was a noon game (9AM pacific). Not many people probably tuning in. Now that we're in the top ten I think we need to make a statement this Thursday. A 15+ point win and America will start proclaiming that the U is back.

I'm sure UNC will be up for this game, but the fact of the matter is that they're not a good team. Bad defense and bad offense.

As long as we don't turn the ball over I think we win this game easily-meaning not a fourth quarter nail-biter.

We win by two scores.

UNC is horrific.

I'll be nervous before the game mind you.

I respect the effort op put in here. Fact is UNC is 1-4. A top 10 team is expected to TCB... no matter the data points.

Advertisement
I'll also say this, I will not accept a loss to UNC on Thursday as part of the 'learning curve' of a young team. UNC sucks and this team isn't young anymore.

A loss at UNC this season is unacceptable no matter what the circumstances. Take care of business.

UNC is a lot better than their record indicates. We should win but these are those types of games....

If our team goes into the game with the same attitude as most of the posts, we not only lose, we get blown out.

We are not that good, YET. We have beaten FAU, Savannah State, GT, USF, all of which suck, and finally Florida. UNC is better than their record, and this is their season. Be happy with a win, even by one point.

Advertisement
If this team is truly top 10 and is ready to take it to the next level, this game should not be in question come 4th quarter.

Dycane let me just say I enjoy reading your posts.

But this time I'm going to disagree with your basic underlying premise. I would take everything you wrote above and repost it before the very last game of the season at Pitt. I think that environment, the likely cold weather, and the fact we may be playing for something REALLY big will make that the much tougher road win.

This is a bad UNC team, period. Not only do I fully expect to win this game...I think it would really make me question whether we really are in "full speed ahead" mode.

Losing this game, to this UNC team would simply be unacceptable and completely disappointing in my eyes. I think there is something to be said for many of concerns you cited, but I really think you picked the wrong opponent to apply them.

This should be a 2 score game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm sure UNC will be up for this game, but the fact of the matter is that they're not a good team. Bad defense and bad offense.

As long as we don't turn the ball over I think we win this game easily-meaning not a fourth quarter nail-biter.

This. UNC lost to ECU. Don't hype this game/UNC up to something they are not. This is NOT a Buch Davis trained/primarily recruited UNC where they had monsters/multiple NFL picks all over the field. I remember amultiple posters hyping fedora up, and now take a look. UM has more talent/better athletes at almost every position. UNCs athletes are talented, but not like UM.

1. ECU is a solid team this season

2. UNC is still fairly talented at WR and TE

3. They have 2 NFL dlinemen

4. We should roll

Miami has to jump on top early and break UNC's moral. A 1-4 team down at the half by 2-3 td's will fold like a cheap suit!

Advertisement
We cannot let UNC do to us what NC State did to F--!!!!! Im sure Golden is making sure it doesnt happen either!!!!

You are what your record says. UNC has some talent but they are a bad team. They got throttled by ECU at home. No good team does that....not at home. We avoid turnovers we win. Get out to a early lead and attack their one dimensional offense. ...similar to VT

You are what your record says. UNC has some talent but they are a bad team. They got throttled by ECU at home. No good team does that....not at home. We avoid turnovers we win. Get out to a early lead and attack their one dimensional offense. ...similar to VT

ECU isn't bad at all. And maybe UNC played down to their level (doesn't just happen to top 15 teams).

UNC is definitely better than 1-4 ... but their defense isn't very good and that's where they stung us last season.

UNC is a lot better than their record indicates. We should win but these are those types of games....

How are they a lot better than 1-4? You mean they could easily be 2-3?

LULZ. They are what their record says they are. They got smoked by South Carolina, ECU and Vag Tech. None of those games were ever really at issue. They got beat the whole game in each of those.

Having said that, I'm not touching this game. We should tune them up, but road favorites on Thursday nights have struggled badly over the years. I'll be happy if we win the rest of the games this season by one point each.

Advertisement
Back