I'll say this about Thursday and this team

People who follow college football know the names of Duke Johnson and Stephen Morris, but most fans of teams outside the ACC don't know much about them.
I was in San Diego 3 weeks ago at restaurant in Point Loma and struck up a conversation with an older guy wearing a Sooner hat. He saw my Canes Shirt and almost started crying. I told him thanks for the National Championships.
He didn't know anything about us.
I told him about Morris' arm and how I see Duke as Ladanian II, and he was slightly skeptical until we texted during the GT game, that he was now a Miami fan.

My point is that I think this national game is going to let a ton of people see how good our team is.
This is going to be a coming out party in front of the whole college football world, particularly AP voters and coaches.

I expect a lot of, "god ****! What a throw!" And "that Duke Johnson is incredible."

Morris throwing 50 yard lasers and Duke over 200 yards rushing.

Add: who is this coley kid, he can ball! Dang, no step lost when this Crawford kid comes in!

Advertisement
I think this game is important, but not for the aspect that we might lose. This game is about national perception. Personally, I don't think we will jump an undefeated Oregon or Alabama, but this game is our chance to impress people and maybe have a shot. We are not going to impress people because we beat a bad team that we were supposed to beat. We are going to impress people if we blow them out. We absolutely have to blow them out and I'm saying by more than 3 TDs.

Right now everyone has downplayed the UF game because everyone thinks UF lost that game and we were lucky. Everyone else we have played have been nobodies on the national stage, and the 2nd best matchup we had in GT was pretty close until the last few minutes of the game. People love Oregon, because Oregon looks good every week, but a lot of those 70 point games are against scrub team, but people don't care if the offense looks good and the defense is doing enough.

If we come out and light up UNC on Thursday, we will have beat a team we were supposed to AND get people thinking about our offense. If it's a 2 TD or less win,then we didn't really do much against a pretty bad team and it becomes just another win.

What evidence is there to suggest that Thursday night games are "brutal" to road favorites?

Tons. I think the winning percentage against the spread for the home team playing on Thursday night on ESPN is something like .62 (which is insane) and that percentage jumps to something like .65 if the road team is favored. I believe the percentage is closer to .70 if the road team is favored and the teams are in the same division.

Where are you getting this data?

UNC is a lot better than their record indicates. We should win but these are those types of games....

How are they a lot better than 1-4? You mean they could easily be 2-3?

LULZ. They are what their record says they are. They got smoked by South Carolina, ECU and Vag Tech. None of those games were ever really at issue. They got beat the whole game in each of those.

Having said that, I'm not touching this game. We should tune them up, but road favorites on Thursday nights have struggled badly over the years. I'll be happy if we win the rest of the games this season by one point each.

What a f@@gy reply.

Advertisement
UNC is a lot better than their record indicates. We should win but these are those types of games....

LULZ. They are what their record says they are. They got smoked by South Carolina, ECU and Vag Tech. None of those games were ever really at issue. They got beat the whole game in each of those.

Having said that, I'm not touching this game. We should tune them up, but road favorites on Thursday nights have struggled badly over the years. I'll be happy if we win the rest of the games this season by one point each.

What a f@@gy reply.

Mods, please remove this ^^ foul-mouthed hooligan from this site.

Regarding: "It has sucked to see the SEC/ESPN money machine attempt to render UM obsolete", I don't see the support for this at all.

There was no need for any alleged money machine to render us obsolete. We did that all by ourselves w/ back to back incompetent head coaches.

And I certainly do not see any sort of ESPN concerted effort to harm UM. ****, herbstreit and Desmond continued to hype us even when we were dreadful. Desmond actually had us winning a national title a few years ago, which was comical for anyone with a brain.

The reality is ESPN wants viewers, and when UM is good, we bring high ratings.

Again, I will respectfully dissent. I have been in conversations with counsel for two SEC teams who specifically told me that there was an informal, ongoing discussion among certain SEC school representatives from around 2007-2012 about extending an invitation to FSU. That's not a shocker. But what is illuminating is that they both told me that some ADs thought that it would benefit their schools by rendering Miami obsolete. The schools that draw the bucks (ND and the SEC) control the networks (ESPN is heavily invested in the SEC and obviously NBC in ND) and the NCAA just like donors control politicians. The arms race -- from stadiums to facilities to coaches -- favors the big state schools over the smaller private schools with the exception of sacred ND. And we sit smack dab in the recruiting capital of the world. A thriving Miami threatens access to those valuable commodities.

Herby and Desmond just happen to love the Canes. But the entire ESPN hype machine is tuned to market the dominance of the SEC. You need to scrutinize the programming and compare how the talking heads treated analogous situations over the years. Almost universally, Miami is treated differently. ESPN continued to paint us as a renegade program (prior to Shapiro) during a span where we had two arrests in 8 years, while anointing Meyer as the king of the land despite his cadre of criminals and malcontents.

Just like ESPN, the NCAA is not going to mess with its cash cow. It's no coincidence that the NCAA made sure (by its inaction) that Cam Newton and Johnny Football remained eligible. It's no coincidence that there is an entire website in the public domain devoted to the improper benefits Bama players have received (with the same type, if not stronger, documentary evidence of violations upon which the NCAA has solely relied in our case), yet the NCAA does nothing. It is not a coincidence that the two outlier programs that threaten the big state school dominance of college football have been the subject of prolonged and devastating NCAA investigations. Sure, a dominant Miami team is good for ratings. But ESPN makes way more money by promoting the SEC and the big state schools.

College football is a huge industry. All industry at that level is inherently corrupt. Money drives the train. And that's why in my original post I alluded to how special this program is and why we should appreciate how much we've accomplished this year despite the uneven playing field.

Even if ESPN has a pro SEC bias, which is debateable, that is not the same thing as an anti UM bias. ESPN cares about one thing, money. And it gets money with increased viewership.

We used to be a huge national draw, bc we kicked the **** out of other teams. That dominance created two things: lots of fans, and lots of viewers that hated us. Both groups watched us, just as baseball fans watch the Yankees. Because of that high viewership and exciting brand of football, ESPN fawned all over us; there were plenty of positive human interest stories about us.

But we became irrelevant with our progressive decline. ESPN no longer cared, because we stopped bringing the viewers like we used to. ESPN now fawns over the SEC, because the SEC brings in viewers, and it has had an unbelievable run of national titles over the last several years. The idea that ESPN sits around and conspires against UM is absurd.

I'm not defending anything the corrupt NCAA does, so please don't lump that mess into this discussion.

What evidence is there to suggest that Thursday night games are "brutal" to road favorites?

Tons. I think the winning percentage against the spread for the home team playing on Thursday night on ESPN is something like .62 (which is insane) and that percentage jumps to something like .65 if the road team is favored. I believe the percentage is closer to .70 if the road team is favored and the teams are in the same division.

This article in 2011 would seem to indicate those numbers are accurate, although I haven't seen anything on the divisional opponents part.

http://www.businessinsider.com/home-underdogs-college-football-spread-2011-10

Taking Miami to cover here is definitely bucking the trend, but I think there are valid reasons for it.

What a f@@gy reply.

Mods, please remove this ^^ foul-mouthed hooligan from this site.

Maybe he is a little shell-shocked from the Red Cox ramming it up his ***.

Advertisement
Regarding: "It has sucked to see the SEC/ESPN money machine attempt to render UM obsolete", I don't see the support for this at all.

There was no need for any alleged money machine to render us obsolete. We did that all by ourselves w/ back to back incompetent head coaches.

And I certainly do not see any sort of ESPN concerted effort to harm UM. ****, herbstreit and Desmond continued to hype us even when we were dreadful. Desmond actually had us winning a national title a few years ago, which was comical for anyone with a brain.

Again, I will respectfully dissent. I have been in conversations with counsel for two SEC teams who specifically told me that there was an informal, ongoing discussion among certain SEC school representatives from around 2007-2012 about extending an invitation to FSU. That's not a shocker. But what is illuminating is that they both told me that some ADs thought that it would benefit their schools by rendering Miami obsolete. The schools that draw the bucks (ND and the SEC) control the networks (ESPN is heavily invested in the SEC and obviously NBC in ND) and the NCAA just like donors control politicians. The arms race -- from stadiums to facilities to coaches -- favors the big state schools over the smaller private schools with the exception of sacred ND. And we sit smack dab in the recruiting capital of the world. A thriving Miami threatens access to those valuable commodities.

Herby and Desmond just happen to love the Canes. But the entire ESPN hype machine is tuned to market the dominance of the SEC. You need to scrutinize the programming and compare how the talking heads treated analogous situations over the years. Almost universally, Miami is treated differently. ESPN continued to paint us as a renegade program (prior to Shapiro) during a span where we had two arrests in 8 years, while anointing Meyer as the king of the land despite his cadre of criminals and malcontents.

Just like ESPN, the NCAA is not going to mess with its cash cow. It's no coincidence that the NCAA made sure (by its inaction) that Cam Newton and Johnny Football remained eligible. It's no coincidence that there is an entire website in the public domain devoted to the improper benefits Bama players have received (with the same type, if not stronger, documentary evidence of violations upon which the NCAA has solely relied in our case), yet the NCAA does nothing. It is not a coincidence that the two outlier programs that threaten the big state school dominance of college football have been the subject of prolonged and devastating NCAA investigations. Sure, a dominant Miami team is good for ratings. But ESPN makes way more money by promoting the SEC and the big state schools.

College football is a huge industry. All industry at that level is inherently corrupt. Money drives the train. And that's why in my original post I alluded to how special this program is and why we should appreciate how much we've accomplished this year despite the uneven playing field.

Even if ESPN has a pro SEC bias, which is debateable, that is not the same thing as an anti UM bias. ESPN cares about one thing, money. And it gets money with increased viewership.

We used to be a huge national draw, bc we kicked the **** out of other teams. That dominance created two things: lots of fans, and lots of viewers that hated us. Both groups watched us, just as baseball fans watch the Yankees. Because of that high viewership and exciting brand of football, ESPN fawned all over us; there were plenty of positive human interest stories about us.

But we became irrelevant with our progressive decline. ESPN no longer cared, because we stopped bringing the viewers like we used to. ESPN now fawns over the SEC, because the SEC brings in viewers, and it has had an unbelievable run of national titles over the last several years. The idea that ESPN sits around and conspires against UM is absurd.

I'm not defending anything the corrupt NCAA does, so please don't lump that mess into this discussion.

Even ESPN's ombudsman has often criticized the network for its treatment of UM and those related to UM. See, e.g.:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3148853

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=solomon_george&id=2645282

This article also touches upon ESPN's influence on college football and its cozy relationship with the SEC:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/college-footballs-most-dominant-player-its-espn.html?_r=0

Pretty telling when the TAMU AD openly questions whether Manziel would have won the Heisman if TAMU had not moved over to the SEC.

And don't forget about how vested ESPN is with the SEC in light of the SEC Network:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/sports/ncaafootball/sec-will-have-own-tv-network-starting-in-2014.html

Last edited:

Even ESPN's ombudsman has often criticized the network for its treatment of UM and those related to UM. See, e.g.:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3148853

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=solomon_george&id=2645282

This article also touches upon ESPN's influence on college football and its cozy relationship with the SEC:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/college-footballs-most-dominant-player-its-espn.html?_r=0

Pretty telling when the TAMU AD openly questions whether Manziel would have won the Heisman if TAMU had not moved over to the SEC.

And don't forget about how vested ESPN is with the SEC in light of the SEC Network:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/sports/ncaafootball/sec-will-have-own-tv-network-starting-in-2014.html

Sorry, the ombudsman said nothing about an ESPN conspiracy among its commentators or in conjunction w/ the SEC (your hypothesis) to keep UM down.

The lazy journalism regarding Taylor's death and the FIU brawl are likely related to the badboy reputation from the 80s, and the fact that nobody gives a **** about the FIU program. I don't disagree that our 80s reputation still exists. But that is a completely different issue from some manufactured conspiracy to keep UM "down."

Further, it would run counter to ESPN's continuing goal of increasing viewership. We are a polarizing team bc of our 80s badboy image. And polarizing figures are good for ratings, be it sports, politics, reality tv, and any other kind if entertainment. So it is illogical to infer that ESPN wants us to suck.

Again, we took care of the ****** football all by ourselves. There was no need for some imagined ESPN SEC money machine.

Last edited:
Advertisement

This article in 2011 would seem to indicate those numbers are accurate, although I haven't seen anything on the divisional opponents part.

http://www.businessinsider.com/home-underdogs-college-football-spread-2011-10

Taking Miami to cover here is definitely bucking the trend, but I think there are valid reasons for it.

Thanks for the link.

Coincidentally, the SC-CAL matchup that the article featured did not not result in a home dog cover. SC bukkaked all over Cal 30-9.

I wonder how often heavy favorites failed to cover.

Advertisement

Sorry, the ombudsman said nothing about an ESPN conspiracy among its commentators or in conjunction w/ the SEC (your hypothesis) to keep UM down.

The lazy journalism regarding Taylor's death and the FIU brawl are likely related to the badboy reputation from the 80s, and the fact that nobody gives a **** about the FIU program. I don't disagree that our 80s reputation still exists. But that is a completely different issue from some manufactured conspiracy to keep UM "down."

Further, it would run counter to ESPN's continuing goal of increasing viewership. We are a polarizing team bc of our 80s badboy image. And polarizing figures are good for ratings, be it sports, politics, reality tv, and any other kind if entertainment. So it is illogical to infer that ESPN wants us to suck.

Again, we took care of the ****ty football all by ourselves. There was no need for some imagined ESPN SEC money machine.

When ESPN takes the baton from Yahoo and sensationalizes the **** out of the Shapiro story, what happens? Its ratings go up at the expense of the program. When a brawl occurs on the field, the network paints the program as a renegade band of thugs. Why? Because it's good for its ratings and it doesn't hurt its partners. The fact it does significant damage to the UM program is of no consequence to UM. If it were Bama or LSU, however, I guarantee you the coverage -- both in terms of content and extent -- would be markedly different.

You are right ESPN is about ratings. I never suggested that ESPN and the SEC are conspiring to target Miami. We're looking at this differently. ESPN would never cover Bama, Florida, LSU, or any other SEC power the way it covers Miami. It would never promote Miami -- no matter how good we are -- the way it promotes the teams in which it has indirectly invested the most money. That SEC Network contract has the longest term of any sports contract in effect. You think ESPN isn't going to protect that investment? Florida has 30+ arrests under Meyer. One of its former players is a murderer. There is a ton of anecdotal evidence that Meyer covered up crimes while at UF. But that story is not one to be told by ESPN. It would tarnish a member of the SEC and by extension the SEC.

Miami serves a purpose, which is to be the bad boy. And I get that's good for ratings. But you can't have good boys (who play by the rules) without bad boys. ESPN (Disney) want to be associated with and promote the good guys.

While I won't say ESPN is out to bash UM, I do agree that there is a pro SEC bias and that we would never get the positive coverage that SEC members get and will always get more negative. College Football Daily was on this afternoon and specifically included time out of their segment to bring up the anniversary of the Catholics vs Convicts game and a comparison of the 2 teams today and which will finish better. Surprisingly they all 4 favored Miami to finish better than ND, but it would be hard to make any other argument when we have at most, 2-3 potential losses left on the schedule for the regular season while Notre Dame already has 2 losses with USC, Pitt, and Stanford still remaining.

People who follow college football know the names of Duke Johnson and Stephen Morris, but most fans of teams outside the ACC don't know much about them.
I was in San Diego 3 weeks ago at restaurant in Point Loma and struck up a conversation with an older guy wearing a Sooner hat. He saw my Canes Shirt and almost started crying. I told him thanks for the National Championships.
I told him about Morris' arm and how I see Duke as Ladanian II, and he was slightly skeptical until we texted during the GT game, that he was now a Miami fan.

My point is that I think this national game is going to let a ton of people see how good our team is.
This is going to be a coming out party in front of the whole college football world, particularly AP voters and coaches.

I expect a lot of, "god ****! What a throw!" And "that Duke Johnson is incredible."

Did you get some random dude's digits at a bar?

Yep. Some old guy with his family while I was with my wife.
Just started talking football, and after an hour told him I'd text him some Cane videos.

I try to convert people every opportunity I can.

Did you get some random dude's digits at a bar?

Did you have to call him or just nudge him the next morning?

probably just left a pen, paper, and cab fare on the nightstand.

You guys jest, but I've been a Cane apostle longer than most of you guys have been alive.
I only like NFL teams that have Canes on them.
I think the best draft choice is always the best Cane available.
Firmly believe you can't win in the pros without having Canes on your team
Look at Dallas, after Jimmy left. Stopped drafting Canes and went into the crapper.

So when I'm at a restaurant/bar with my wife and somebody says, "you're a Canes fan eh?"

I'm like, "you're god damned right I am, and let me tell you why."

Plus my brothers and I have always been especially gregarious Asians.

I know you young guys have a difficult time socially interacting if it doesn't involve a keyboard, but I highly recommend it.
Normally works real well with girls as well.
The squeaky wheel does get the oil, but only if it asks for it.

Advertisement
Back