I'll say this about Thursday and this team

Dycane let me just say I enjoy reading your posts.

But this time I'm going to disagree with your basic underlying premise. I would take everything you wrote above and repost it before the very last game of the season at Pitt. I think that environment, the likely cold weather, and the fact we may be playing for something REALLY big will make that the much tougher road win.

This is a bad UNC team, period. Not only do I fully expect to win this game...I think it would really make me question whether we really are in "full speed ahead" mode.

Losing this game, to this UNC team would simply be unacceptable and completely disappointing in my eyes. I think there is something to be said for many of concerns you cited, but I really think you picked the wrong opponent to apply them.

This should be a 2 score game.

Reasonable minds can disagree. I certainly respect your opinion. Mine is that Carolina is much more talented than its record indicates. Renner has had a rough start, but he might be playing in the league. They have some athleticism on the outside and a world class TE. This is Carolina's bowl game and they will be as focused as ever. Having to deal with schedule adjustments for midweek games, coupled with travel, tends to affect the road team. Point being, Carolina is talented and motivated enough to fulfill on the Thursday night prophecy. So I don't think we should expect this to be a blowout. If we win, we're undefeated and ranked in the top ten (think about that after what this program has endured and in light of the preseason expectations). If I told you in August we were going to beat UF and UNC (much less be undefeated), you would have been ecstatic and slightly skeptical of my sanity. You certainly would not have cared about how we won or by how much. My point is that the circumstances (not the opponent) of this game are as challenging as any we will face this year. IMO, barely surviving simply tells me this team is very good. Dominating tells me we're borderline elite. We should therefore enjoy the (presumed) win -- pretty or ugly -- and enjoy the opportunity to truly be a fan of a nationally relevant program.

Advertisement
Gameday thread is always a cesspool. You're either able to stomach it (i.e. live in Wisconsin or Montana and can't make the games) or you ain't.

I agree, this game is very scary.

UNC is a lot better than their record indicates. We should win but these are those types of games....

How are they a lot better than 1-4? You mean they could easily be 2-3?

They have Sunday talent. They are not USF, FIU or SSU. They shouldn't be overlooked.

Alot changes year to year but they did come into our house and beat us. Sure, they dont have Gio nor the same defense...but they still have talent. We can't make the same errors we did vs USF and expect to roll. Not making them more than they are...we play our game and we will be alright. We turn the ball over four times and we're in for a dog fight.

Regarding: "It has sucked to see the SEC/ESPN money machine attempt to render UM obsolete", I don't see the support for this at all.

There was no need for any alleged money machine to render us obsolete. We did that all by ourselves w/ back to back incompetent head coaches.

And I certainly do not see any sort of ESPN concerted effort to harm UM. ****, herbstreit and Desmond continued to hype us even when we were dreadful. Desmond actually had us winning a national title a few years ago, which was comical for anyone with a brain.

The reality is ESPN wants viewers, and when UM is good, we bring high ratings.

This is a business trip. And we need to take care of it.

9.jpeg

Advertisement
If our team goes into the game with the same attitude as most of the posts, we not only lose, we get blown out.

We are not that good, YET. We have beaten FAU, Savannah State, GT, USF, all of which suck, and finally Florida. UNC is better than their record, and this is their season. Be happy with a win, even by one point.

Quit the ***** a$$ne$$ posts. We're conditioned to think a certain way because of previous coaches and their styles. F*** the bulls***. We're Canes. We go in there and handle business. If you can't handle it, rethink your stance as a Canes fan.

No one has mentioned that we are not the "old" Miami Hurricanes from the last 5 years. I think they WILL be ready for UNC. It will be a statement, yes even against a 1 win team. I bet most pollsters have yet to actually watch a full Miami game this season and this is gonna be their chance to prove their top 10 ranking.

UNC is wearing all black uniforms. Coach Golden said on Hurricane Hotline "we will be the guys in all white". Stormtroopers will roll!

Advertisement
If our team goes into the game with the same attitude as most of the posts, we not only lose, we get blown out.

We are not that good, YET. We have beaten FAU, Savannah State, GT, USF, all of which suck, and finally Florida. UNC is better than their record, and this is their season. Be happy with a win, even by one point.

Quit the ***** a$$ne$$ posts. We're conditioned to think a certain way because of previous coaches and their styles. F*** the bulls***. We're Canes. We go in there and handle business. If you can't handle it, rethink your stance as a Canes fan.

Thank you for the advice.

Regarding: "It has sucked to see the SEC/ESPN money machine attempt to render UM obsolete", I don't see the support for this at all.

There was no need for any alleged money machine to render us obsolete. We did that all by ourselves w/ back to back incompetent head coaches.

And I certainly do not see any sort of ESPN concerted effort to harm UM. ****, herbstreit and Desmond continued to hype us even when we were dreadful. Desmond actually had us winning a national title a few years ago, which was comical for anyone with a brain.

Again, I will respectfully dissent. I have been in conversations with counsel for two SEC teams who specifically told me that there was an informal, ongoing discussion among certain SEC school representatives from around 2007-2012 about extending an invitation to FSU. That's not a shocker. But what is illuminating is that they both told me that some ADs thought that it would benefit their schools by rendering Miami obsolete. The schools that draw the bucks (ND and the SEC) control the networks (ESPN is heavily invested in the SEC and obviously NBC in ND) and the NCAA just like donors control politicians. The arms race -- from stadiums to facilities to coaches -- favors the big state schools over the smaller private schools with the exception of sacred ND. And we sit smack dab in the recruiting capital of the world. A thriving Miami threatens access to those valuable commodities.

Herby and Desmond just happen to love the Canes. But the entire ESPN hype machine is tuned to market the dominance of the SEC. You need to scrutinize the programming and compare how the talking heads treated analogous situations over the years. Almost universally, Miami is treated differently. ESPN continued to paint us as a renegade program (prior to Shapiro) during a span where we had two arrests in 8 years, while anointing Meyer as the king of the land despite his cadre of criminals and malcontents.

Just like ESPN, the NCAA is not going to mess with its cash cow. It's no coincidence that the NCAA made sure (by its inaction) that Cam Newton and Johnny Football remained eligible. It's no coincidence that there is an entire website in the public domain devoted to the improper benefits Bama players have received (with the same type, if not stronger, documentary evidence of violations upon which the NCAA has solely relied in our case), yet the NCAA does nothing. It is not a coincidence that the two outlier programs that threaten the big state school dominance of college football have been the subject of prolonged and devastating NCAA investigations. Sure, a dominant Miami team is good for ratings. But ESPN makes way more money by promoting the SEC and the big state schools.

College football is a huge industry. All industry at that level is inherently corrupt. Money drives the train. And that's why in my original post I alluded to how special this program is and why we should appreciate how much we've accomplished this year despite the uneven playing field.

Last edited:
Advertisement
1. ECU is a solid team this season

2. UNC is still fairly talented at WR and TE

3. They have 2 NFL dlinemen

4. We should roll

While I was pimping ECU all last week, I will now point something out. As a proud Tulane alum, my Green Wave beat ECU 36-33 in 3 OT on Saturday with their backup QB and without their co-starting RB (who many think is better than the other starter). Tulane is 5-2, 3-0, but they're still in C-USA. I know you can't say this team beat this team, so we should beat this team, but I'm less worried about our game after last Saturday.

Last edited:

Quit the **** a$$ne$$ posts. We're conditioned to think a certain way because of previous coaches and their styles. F*** the bulls***. We're Canes. We go in there and handle business. If you can't handle it, rethink your stance as a Canes fan.

Thank you for the advice.

You're welcome, come mierda.

If they're so much better than their record, why did they blow a late lead and lose to that GT team that sucks?

Also, I'd love for OP to unpack that data. Seriously. I'm interested.

Advertisement

Again, I will respectfully dissent. I have been in conversations with counsel for two SEC teams who specifically told me that there was an informal, ongoing discussion among certain SEC school representatives from around 2007-2012 about extending an invitation to FSU. That's not a shocker. But what is illuminating is that they both told me that some ADs thought that it would benefit their schools by rendering Miami obsolete. The schools that draw the bucks (ND and the SEC) control the networks (ESPN is heavily invested in the SEC and obviously NBC in ND) and the NCAA just like donors control politicians. The arms race -- from stadiums to facilities to coaches -- favors the big state schools over the smaller private schools with the exception of sacred ND. And we sit smack dab in the recruiting capital of the world. A thriving Miami threatens access to those valuable commodities.

Herby and Desmond just happen to love the Canes. But the entire ESPN hype machine is tuned to market the dominance of the SEC. You need to scrutinize the programming and compare how the talking heads treated analogous situations over the years. Almost universally, Miami is treated differently. ESPN continued to paint us as a renegade program (prior to Shapiro) during a span where we had two arrests in 8 years, while anointing Meyer as the king of the land despite his cadre of criminals and malcontents.

Just like ESPN, the NCAA is not going to mess with its cash cow. It's no coincidence that the NCAA made sure (by its inaction) that Cam Newton and Johnny Football remained eligible. It's no coincidence that there is an entire website in the public domain devoted to the improper benefits Bama players have received (with the same type, if not stronger, documentary evidence of violations upon which the NCAA has solely relied in our case), yet the NCAA does nothing. It is not a coincidence that the two outlier programs that threaten the big state school dominance of college football have been the subject of prolonged and devastating NCAA investigations. Sure, a dominant Miami team is good for ratings. But ESPN makes way more money by promoting the SEC and the big state schools.

College football is a huge industry. All industry at that level is inherently corrupt. Money drives the train. And that's why in my original post I alluded to how special this program is and why we should appreciate how much we've accomplished this year despite the uneven playing field.

Beautifully said. I've heard more on ESPN about unranked Ole Miss than I have about the []_[]. Heck, our victory over full-strength Florida was a huge "upset", yet somehow it was quickly hushed. I must've heard about our win 2-3 times on sportscenter and then?...nothing. Today on CFL, half the background graphics and pictures depicted $EC schools...even Mississippi State!!! No love whatsoever for our Canes

Very true. We have yet to face a real challenge. I have no clue how good we are and believe we can lose to anyone at anytime. THis team is beginning to pass the eye test, but I remain cautious about knowing where we truly are.

Nobody in the media will be claiming the U is back If we beat a crappy 1-4 unc team. However if we roll over them and beat fsu then we'll be set

Dycane let me just say I enjoy reading your posts.

But this time I'm going to disagree with your basic underlying premise. I would take everything you wrote above and repost it before the very last game of the season at Pitt. I think that environment, the likely cold weather, and the fact we may be playing for something REALLY big will make that the much tougher road win.

This is a bad UNC team, period. Not only do I fully expect to win this game...I think it would really make me question whether we really are in "full speed ahead" mode.

Losing this game, to this UNC team would simply be unacceptable and completely disappointing in my eyes. I think there is something to be said for many of concerns you cited, but I really think you picked the wrong opponent to apply them.

This should be a 2 score game.

Reasonable minds can disagree. I certainly respect your opinion. Mine is that Carolina is much more talented than its record indicates. Renner has had a rough start, but he might be playing in the league. They have some athleticism on the outside and a world class TE. This is Carolina's bowl game and they will be as focused as ever. Having to deal with schedule adjustments for midweek games, coupled with travel, tends to affect the road team. Point being, Carolina is talented and motivated enough to fulfill on the Thursday night prophecy. So I don't think we should expect this to be a blowout. If we win, we're undefeated and ranked in the top ten (think about that after what this program has endured and in light of the preseason expectations). If I told you in August we were going to beat UF and UNC (much less be undefeated), you would have been ecstatic and slightly skeptical of my sanity. You certainly would not have cared about how we won or by how much. My point is that the circumstances (not the opponent) of this game are as challenging as any we will face this year. IMO, barely surviving simply tells me this team is very good. Dominating tells me we're borderline elite. We should therefore enjoy the (presumed) win -- pretty or ugly -- and enjoy the opportunity to truly be a fan of a nationally relevant program.

This post can be agreed with, but the bye mitigates a lot of those factors; on a short week what you're saying is very significant

Advertisement
Back