If you had known...

IF Butch had given us more time, we could have hired the FSU OC, Mark Richt who was hired by UGa in 2001: Pete Carroll was hired by USc the same year. We could have plucked up Bowling Green's young head coach like Utah did and Urban Meyer would have never been a gator..................things might have been different.

Advertisement
I’m a little tired of this borderline I miss Richt stuff. He was burned out at Miami, hired his son as QB coach, and posted a subpar 26-13 record, including 7-6 his last year. He was going to have some wacky co-DC arrangement, and with that (along with Richt Sr. calling plays and Richt Jr. coaching QBs) I’m not sure we would have gone any better than 7-6 this year. And it’s a little hard to give him that much credit for the IPF considering we might have been the last team in the Power 5 to build such a facility. (All while we’re in one of the rainiest parts of the country lol.)

The recruiting class in 2018-2019 was probably the worst I have ever seen at UM. And, as bad as the class was, it would have been even worse if Richt had stayed on as coach, since Diaz improved the class as much as he could with the transfer portal.

If Richt hadn’t retired and we had gone 6-6 this year, I wonder who the **** we would have been able to attract as a replacement. Richt might have pulled off a Clay Helton where he basically avoided being fired because of his own bad recruiting. Much like USC kept Helton because nobody wanted to touch the USCw job with his recruiting class that’s currently in the 70s (doubt it’ll finish that low but still), nobody might have been willing to touch the Miami job with the 2018- 2019 class being in the 40s (which is where we were when Diaz took over as coach) and the 2019-2020 class probably being bad too.

Last edited:
There was no way they would have gotten Richt in 2001, with how late Butch Davis departed.

The admin should have at least tried to get Richt in 2006. IDK if he would have been interested, but it would have been worth a try.

Not only was Richt younger back then, but the Miami program was a bigger name and in better shape too. We were hardly removed from the 00-03 days.
Yah man, it was hypothetical.

Do we know if Strong has still got it though? I always liked his 2ndary guy Vance Bedford. Speaking of Vance, has he done anything since Texas? I think Blake Baker is certainly here to stay. As far as D staff changes are considered, I wouldnt mind a shuffle there. DL can go back to Kul or Simpson, Baker to LB, 2ndary Mike Stoops or someone like Bedford. Rumph, Banda & Patke can all find new opportunities imo.
I have zero confidence on the staff period, think we should be calling Adiazo OL, M>Luke Oline
tell enos run the spread or begone..... this program is at a crossroads and very, very close to becoming inconsequential even in the Coastal...... will not improve till BOT says enough and hires a competent AD team..... good bye Flake and Carol

Advertisement
Some of the hires weren't bad. Golden and Richt werent bad hires but both didnt feel enough internal pressure to put the school first over hiring friends/family.

Golden owes the fact that he hasnt had another HC gig to his boy D'onofrio. Richt put Richt Jr in a position he wasnt ready for and thought his plays from the 80s were ok today. At some P5 school, both these guys wouldnt have felt as comfortable keeping guys like that around. I think if either way was half as ruthless to asst's as Saban is, they'd probably still be HCs.

Coker, Shannon, and even Butch, we a result of a school investing nickels and expecting dollars in return. UM hit it big finding coaches like Jimmy and we've been trying to strike oil ever since. When Diaz is done, I hope the BOT, Admin, AD, etc understand how much harder it is today to just find the next Urban Meyer. It's easier, and more fruitful, to just pay a proven HC and give him a budget so his asst's that doesnt force him to hire unproven guys.

This is why I think Mario, with quality asst's, is a homerun hire here. Hes a guy who will sell the program and recruit his *** off. What real, legit, OC/DC wouldn't want a coach that gets them all the groceries they need to cook?
think the Mario idea is good but why leave Oregon, first rate facilities, investment in program not an isssue
working with an AD group that understands the financial impact of football.
only thing we can offer is Do you want to move back home ???
he left last time because he saw the clown show with AD group and Golden....... long shot too come back

I do know that Goff and Donnan were awful. Then Richt came in. A younger, healthier, less tired Richt did a very good job there. He won almost 3/4 of his games playing most of them vs a good conference schedule. (Knock on him was that he never won "the big one") It makes me think there is at least the possibility that our program would have been much better off with him during that era. I have no way to know this of course.

I agree.

Butch would be replaced by Coker, would you have said Fire Butch #fromchampstochumps?

Coker would be replaced by Shannon, would you have said fire Coker?

Shannon would be replaced be Golden, would you have said fire Shannon?

Golden would be replaced by Richt, would you have said Fire Golden?

Richt would be replaced by Diaz, would you have said Fire Richt?

It seems like the school does not know how to hire coaches to meet our expectations. (Regardless of the AD) How many of you expect another bad coach after Diaz is fired?

The odds of us hiring ANOTHER bad coach after Diaz EXCEED 100%

I have zero confidence on the staff period, think we should be calling Adiazo OL, M>Luke Oline
tell enos run the spread or begone..... this program is at a crossroads and very, very close to becoming inconsequential even in the Coastal...... will not improve till BOT says enough and hires a competent AD team..... good bye Flake and Carol
Enos is not a $1.5m OC. How does a team with a TE like Brevin Jordan rank dead last in 3rd downs???

I'm really not sure what to think, but if I had to lean any which way I'd say he's not getting fired. Maybe Manny is waiting for after the bowl or early signing day, but I doubt that.

Imo Enos' offense would benefit greatly from a dominant run game, that's why I want Addazio to come in. We dont really have the OTs, but we do have the ranking talent at G, we should be better at getting yards running the ball inside, especially with strong backs like Burns. I'm not sure who's in charge of who's getting snaps at RB this year but the under use of Lingard and Burns have been criminal. WR rotation has been bad also, maybe that hints towards Manny's player culture comments, not that I give Manny any credit there, after all wtf could he know about the matter when he talked so much sh*t to start the season.

Advertisement
think the Mario idea is good but why leave Oregon, first rate facilities, investment in program not an isssue
working with an AD group that understands the financial impact of football.
only thing we can offer is Do you want to move back home ???
he left last time because he saw the clown show with AD group and Golden....... long shot too come back

Brother, I couldnt agree more! If I'm Mario, I would literally lmfao if I saw a call coming in from Blake or anyone that's apart of UM. He has a wayyy better situation in Eugene. Miami could only sell him a fairytale. He has everything Miami would have to change in order to be successful. I think UM would have to prove they are serious about being major players again in CFB to even get some of his interest.

Addazio as OC is one of the most nightmarish suggestions I have ever seen.

I’d rather rehire Mark Whipple or Dan Werner. James Coley, too, although he probably wouldn’t be willing to leave UGA. Rehiring Patrick Nix would be about a wash.

Last edited:

I’d rather rehire Mark Whipple or Dan Werner. James Coley, too, although he probably wouldn’t be willing to leave UGA. Rehiring Patrick Nix would be about a wash.
Did someone say Addazio as OC?

Yes I’d say fire Golden a million times over for Richt. Idk how someone can ask this question seriously. Richt is a legit coach

I agree with you, but you must have noticed how many people on this site were caterwauling about him never winning a National Title. Him being too old, and low energy. Him not knowing how to call an offense (despite calling playson National and SEC title winning teams). Also, having his son as QB coach. Believe me, I wanted Richt before during and after his time at Miami. Sometimes I felt alone in that feeling.

Advertisement
There was no way they would have gotten Richt in 2001, with how late Butch Davis departed.

The admin should have at least tried to get Richt in 2006. IDK if he would have been interested, but it would have been worth a try.

Not only was Richt younger back then, but the Miami program was a bigger name and in better shape too. We were hardly removed from the 00-03 days.

I believe they DID. Richt said publicly he had turned down Miami multiple times in the past, and 2015 was the first time he said yes.

Go down the coaching hires and fires of 90% of the schools out there and you can say the same thing. Our track record is terrible, but if anything is proven year after year, it's that finding a great coach is as rare as it is random.

Butch is right down the street.

If we can quit farting around.

Go down the coaching hires and fires of 90% of the schools out there and you can say the same thing. Our track record is terrible, but if anything is proven year after year, it's that finding a great coach is as rare as it is random.
First you have to make an effort to find a great coach, our track record is terrible because we were looking for the easy cheap hire.

Advertisement

Addazio as an o line coach great..... if i am CMD i am calling everyone with a pulse at this point in time, he needs a lifeline

Yeah I would have absolutely said this. Thanks for the 10 win season, #2 ranking, indoor practice facility, overall increase in the coaches pay, and walking away from big money when you realized you were done. Richt can't control the fact they looked a gift horse in the mouth.

I don’t think there’s much to be thankful to Richt for, other than the increase in assistant salaries. He’s a great man.

With that being said, he sucked as coach here. Just somewhat less than Manny. I don’t know why people already forget that, just one year later.

A brief #2 ranking that we never deserved in the first place is not something to congratulate Richt for. It says a lot about the state of our program that people seriously consider 2017 some kind of big success. Yeah, the best season since 2005- talk about a tallest midget in the room argument.

And, frankly, Diaz’s hiring as head coach reeks of Richt influence.

Last edited:
And Larry Coker is the worst coach on that list. He drove our program to the ground.
And he's got the Natty, lol.

Manny is the WOAT Miami coach by far.

Anybody who seriously thinks Manny could win the national title in 2001 has the mental capacity of a 2 year old.

Although it doesn’t surprise me that dude thinks this, since he’s also retarded enough to want Steve Addazio as OC.

Advertisement
Back