If you had known...

Yeah. True that. I’ve said either get Saban or urban..if you fail there which is likely..then get Cristobal
Even if we get Mario at the end of next season, Miami will bank on him being able to make all the right moves which imo is a mistake. The AD has to be able to push the HC into upgrading staff members until Miami gets back to an acceptable level. Look at Oklahoma, their title is older than ours, but they keep their program at the cusp... eventually they might break through. Being Alabama might not be normal for Miami any more, but there's no reason in my mind why we cant be Oklahoma in the ACC Coastal.

Advertisement
Golden would be replaced by Richt, would you have said Fire Golden?

Yeah I would have absolutely said this. Thanks for the 10 win season, #2 ranking, indoor practice facility, overall increase in the coaches pay, and walking away from big money when you realized you were done. Richt can't control the fact they looked a gift horse in the mouth.

That's the thing about a good leader. They don't have to know about everything. They put people in place to deal with it. If the coach is sticking with a failing staff, a good AD points it out and demands it be corrected. If an AD is failing to do that, the president points it out and demands it be corrected. When the issue persists, someone needs to go. The problem is that we don't have a good leader in any of those positions.

The only one that didn’t age well is richt. But I stand by my opinion that if richt is still falling plays with his son as the QB coach and panda and patke running the defense we are 6-6 or worse. With a worse recruiting class. But that’s just my opinion. Now if richt hired a real OC QB coach and DC then I think we’re solid but still probably don’t win the coastal because Jarren leaves in the portal and Kosi ain’t it.

Advertisement
Even if we get Mario at the end of next season, Miami will bank on him being able to make all the right moves which imo is a mistake. The AD has to be able to push the HC into upgrading staff members until Miami gets back to an acceptable level. Look at Oklahoma, their title is older than ours, but they keep their program at the cusp... eventually they might break through. Being Alabama might not be normal for Miami any more, but there's no reason in my mind why we cant be Oklahoma in the ACC Coastal.
Miami is in the heartland of the most talented recruiting base in the nation..arguably the most competitive too. It doesn’t take a lot to turn it around imo..BUT 2 obvious misses were Shannon, and Golden. That set us back. I still contend Richt on the day he was hired was a good move. But his 3rd year he was absolutely burnt out. Probably had health issues. Manny is a lame duck. I like his energy his rhetoric but can he get it done? I don’t know. All of poster and fans are out on him, which is understandable given the results..I’ve always said a coach needs 4 years for you to see a steady upward trend or downward trend..but for me manny took over a program that was in much better shape then what Richt or Golden took over..therefore for me Manny gets 2 years..and if it’s not double digits wins fire his ***..but that just me. Apparently I’m a Diaz slurper loll

I’d say Cristobal is a pretty safe hire after the year he had at Oregon.

Two years ago this thought might get you "band".. The rot and infection is inside the program walls. There needs to be a decision to play today's game. We're too busy trying to reinvigorate the past and live off of "the way it used to be". When we won in the past, WE were the cutting edge, WE were what was new and popping ["The State of Miami", 4-3 under, speedy & under-sized, balanced/50-50 offenses, 1-back sets, ... etc, etc, etc..].

Golden and then Richt made the school look at where it was in terms of ability to compete off the field, the school finally started to develop some infrastructure. Now it's time to start looking at getting to where all of the CFB world is in terms of on the field.

We went with a more "multiple" front and some more aggression during Manny Diaz's tenure as DC. That was the most resemblance of Miami Hurricanes football we collectively saw in a while. Now we need to match that offensively. South Florida kids need to play an attacking style of football. That's the only way.

It needs to be like that on BOTH sides and throughout our Special Teams, no matter the coach's name.

Wanna know how the last 15+ years of **** could've been avoided?

You tell the players that demanded Coker's hiring that you appreciate their input and then you go hire a real coach.

You then still immediately win at minimum one title and here's the real important part-

You immediately start investing in and massively fundraising for the program THEN at the height of our greatness in order to sustain success for when the coach you just hired leaves for the NFL in a few years.

You couple this with an exhaustive list of quality AD replacements as you're not legally blind and can tell that Paul Dee ain't long for this world.
It burns me up every **** time they, those players, talk about what it takes to make a great program. They are equally as knowledgable about what it takes to kill a **** program, but they don't want to talk about that. I wonder why? They have no problem calling out current coaches and players, but they are eerily silent when it comes to their role in getting Coker hired. They set all this in motion by demanding their buddy be hired.

If just one of them would step up and say, "Miami needs a tough SOB as HC. We messed up by demanding Cokers hiring. We thought we knew best, but we were wrong." Instead, they just talk on and on about everything they see that's wrong. Well, maybe all that is wrong with the program wouldn't have happened if those players weren't tired of the tough discipline of Butch Davis. None of them will admit it, but it's the **** truth. That is why they wanted Coker. Period.

Butch wasn't even that good of a coach. His teams never showed up for their "easier games". But he was a GREAT recruiter. And Larry Coker is the worst coach on that list. He drove our program to the ground.

Advertisement
Richt was a safe hire & best of the list after BD but he refused to hire a new age OC which cost the program a chance for repeated success

Miami is in the heartland of the most talented recruiting base in the nation..arguably the most competitive too. It doesn’t take a lot to turn it around imo..BUT 2 obvious misses were Shannon, and Golden. That set us back. I still contend Richt on the day he was hired was a good move. But his 3rd year he was absolutely burnt out. Probably had health issues. Manny is a lame duck. I like his energy his rhetoric but can he get it done? I don’t know. All of poster and fans are out on him, which is understandable given the results..I’ve always said a coach needs 4 years for you to see a steady upward trend or downward trend..but for me manny took over a program that was in much better shape then what Richt or Golden took over..therefore for me Manny gets 2 years..and if it’s not double digits wins fire his ***..but that just me. Apparently I’m a Diaz slurper loll
I still think Richt was a good hire, from credibility to recruiting... I just wish we would have followed up that hire with Mike Gundy or maybe Cristobal. It doesnt really matter though if the new HC is just gonna treat the position the way Al or Richt did. I keep harping on this but for me its at the heart of our problems, the AD is asleep at the wheel. Miami admin is not surrounding these HCs with the staff and coordinators they need. They keep giving the HC the ability to fail.

Butch wasn't even that good of a coach. His teams never showed up for their "easier games". But he was a GREAT recruiter. And Larry Coker is the worst coach on that list. He drove our program to the ground.
And he's got the Natty, lol.

Agree with that 100%. A strong AD would have pulled Golden in after season one and told him he had to unload Dnofrio or risk his job and instead we extended him. Same with CMR and his son.

Wholesale changes are needed, which is why I am hopeful there is some truth to the Highsmith rumor. We need a tough minded leader with a ton of hands on football knowledge and an understanding of this city and university.
And someone the HC doesnt look down to in football, someone they know is in charge. Blake just tells them to keep doing it their way, and that they have his full support until eventually it reaches critical mass and the BoT pulls the plug, its counter productive and shows an extreme lack of leadership and direction from Miami. We have got to surround these HCs with more especially if we are gonna keep going the no experience route.

Advertisement
Butch would be replaced by Coker, would you have said Fire Butch #fromchampstochumps?

Coker would be replaced by Shannon, would you have said fire Coker?

Shannon would be replaced be Golden, would you have said fire Shannon?

Golden would be replaced by Richt, would you have said Fire Golden?

Richt would be replaced by Diaz, would you have said Fire Richt?

It seems like the school does not know how to hire coaches to meet our expectations. (Regardless of the AD) How many of you expect another bad coach after Diaz is fired?

I wonder if we had gotten a younger, healthier, less tired Richt, say maybe after Coker (or before), if things could have been different? IDK

That's if he wants the job
He would definitely come coach at his School. I was not a fan of his before he got some experience, I felt the same way about Diaz. But now Cristobal got some games under his belt I’m in. Not sure about Diaz tho.
The only hire I’ve “liked” was Richt but that went out the window with the run-run-pass-punt offense and refusing to change

I wonder if we had gotten a younger, healthier, less tired Richt, say maybe after Coker (or before), if things could have been different? IDK

You’re joking, right?

Richt was hired by UGA the same year Miami promotes Coker. If Miami hired Richt instead of Coker in ‘01 you actually have to “wonder” if things would’ve been different? Seriously?
Look at where Georgia was before Richt got there.

Advertisement
The hires themselves probably werent THAT bad, but the process of letting these HC get away with nepotism and cronyism is. When your program is down, you have to have an AD with enough clout to fire D'Onofrio and hire Helfrich when he's sitting in your football offices looking for a job. We keep hiring coaches to say "here's the keys to the kingdom, good luck" and then we have to bring in a new guy every 4 years or so. I mean Addazio (OL) & Morris (OC) are available right now. Throw money at those guys and get them in to save the offense and the team. Heck, I'd take just Addazio to be co-OC/OL and Enos can take back the same role he had at Bama. Its things like this that drive me more crazy than hiring Al Golden or Larry Coker.
i would like them to reach out to C.Strong for DC,as well both Addazio & Strong would bring some "toughness" that we sorely lack

Wanna know how the last 15+ years of **** could've been avoided?

You tell the players that demanded Coker's hiring that you appreciate their input and then you go hire a real coach.

And then imagine what would’ve happened if the “real coach” not named “Coker” would’ve come up short at BC or Va Tech in ‘01.

He would definitely come coach at his School. I was not a fan of his before he got some experience, I felt the same way about Diaz. But now Cristobal got some games under his belt I’m in. Not sure about Diaz tho.
The only hire I’ve “liked” was Richt but that went out the window with the run-run-pass-punt offense and refusing to change
I say he wouldn't. His track record agrees.

Advertisement
Back