If you had known...

Advertisement
i would like them to reach out to C.Strong for DC,as well both Addazio & Strong would bring some "toughness" that we sorely lack
Do we know if Strong has still got it though? I always liked his 2ndary guy Vance Bedford. Speaking of Vance, has he done anything since Texas? I think Blake Baker is certainly here to stay. As far as D staff changes are considered, I wouldnt mind a shuffle there. DL can go back to Kul or Simpson, Baker to LB, 2ndary Mike Stoops or someone like Bedford. Rumph, Banda & Patke can all find new opportunities imo.

And then imagine what would’ve happened if the “real coach” not named “Coker” would’ve come up short at BC or Va Tech in ‘01.

Then you didn't hire a real coach as there are middle school corches of limited abilities in Saskatchewan, Canada that could've won with that assemblage of talent.

The "real" part would've been established when all those players left in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Again, the financial investment aspect HAD to take place immediately then too and you had to at least attempt to be in the same stratosphere with the big boys while you were on top of the world or it's all irrelevant. The "real" coach I wanted hired would probably inevitably bolt to the NFL anyway and would essentially serve as a bridge from the program that was built during this legendary run to one that is setup and supported with enough $ to always be relevant.

Butch would be replaced by Coker, would you have said Fire Butch #fromchampstochumps?

Coker would be replaced by Shannon, would you have said fire Coker?

Shannon would be replaced be Golden, would you have said fire Shannon?

Golden would be replaced by Richt, would you have said Fire Golden?

Richt would be replaced by Diaz, would you have said Fire Richt?

It seems like the school does not know how to hire coaches to meet our expectations. (Regardless of the AD) How many of you expect another bad coach after Diaz is fired?

Let me answer each one:

1)Butch would be replaced by Coker, would you have said Fire Butch #fromchampstochumps?
Of course not. A dynasty began its slow descent under Coker.

2) Coker would be replaced by Shannon, would you have said fire Coker?
Yes I would. lol. People forget how quickly we dropped under Coker.

3) Shannon would be replaced be Golden, would you have said fire Shannon?
No. But Gary Patterson sure :)

4)Golden would be replaced by Richt, would you have said Fire Golden?
Yes I would. Richt's nepotism with his son led to the last year, but he clearly was a better fit than Golden.

5) Richt would be replaced by Diaz, would you have said Fire Richt?
No ******* way.

Advertisement
It burns me up every **** time they, those players, talk about what it takes to make a great program. They are equally as knowledgable about what it takes to kill a **** program, but they don't want to talk about that. I wonder why? They have no problem calling out current coaches and players, but they are eerily silent when it comes to their role in getting Coker hired. They set all this in motion by demanding their buddy be hired.

If just one of them would step up and say, "Miami needs a tough SOB as HC. We messed up by demanding Cokers hiring. We thought we knew best, but we were wrong." Instead, they just talk on and on about everything they see that's wrong. Well, maybe all that is wrong with the program wouldn't have happened if those players weren't tired of the tough discipline of Butch Davis. None of them will admit it, but it's the **** truth. That is why they wanted Coker. Period.

They could even just say "We were the best. The best of all time. And Coker was the best for US. But we didn't know best for what was the right fit when we all left to kill it in the NFL. We were 21 yr old kids. We had no idea of what it actually takes to sustain success over multiple seasons and recruiting periods. We were living in the moment."

Last edited:
Or maybe, nobody knew how Coker would have turned out and he was the best hire they could make?

Who else wanted the job besides Coker?

Amazing Richt was able to get as much as he did out of the 2017 squad. Just imagine if he was hired in 2007.

What really was so amazing about the 2017 team? Nobody actually thought they were even the 10th best team in the country when they were 10-0 and ranked #2. And we saw what happened at the end of the year, starting with a double digit loss to 4-7 Pitt. And the 2018 and 2019 seasons have shown that rather than a precursor to better things, 2017 was a road to absolutely nothing.

To put things in perspective, I’d favor the 2004 and 2005 Miami teams over the 2017 team by about a TD. And if you look rationally at the game by game results you’d realize I’m correct.

Yeah, ND game, whatever. Well, guess what, that was one game out of 13 that year. That year had a number of average to below average games, starting with the 28 point win over Bethune Cookman.

Last edited:
This board is as ***-backwards as the administration in terms of doing nothing but looking in the past.
You’re joking, right?

Richt was hired by UGA the same year Miami promotes Coker. If Miami hired Richt instead of Coker in ‘01 you actually have to “wonder” if things would’ve been different? Seriously?
Look at where Georgia was before Richt got there.

I do know that Goff and Donnan were awful. Then Richt came in. A younger, healthier, less tired Richt did a very good job there. He won almost 3/4 of his games playing most of them vs a good conference schedule. (Knock on him was that he never won "the big one") It makes me think there is at least the possibility that our program would have been much better off with him during that era. I have no way to know this of course.

Advertisement
I do know that Goff and Donnan were awful. Then Richt came in. A younger, healthier, less tired Richt did a very good job there. He won almost 3/4 of his games playing most of them vs a good conference schedule. (Knock on him was that he never won "the big one") It makes me think there is at least the possibility that our program would have been much better off with him during that era. I have no way to know this of course.

There was no way they would have gotten Richt in 2001, with how late Butch Davis departed.

The admin should have at least tried to get Richt in 2006. IDK if he would have been interested, but it would have been worth a try.

Not only was Richt younger back then, but the Miami program was a bigger name and in better shape too. We were hardly removed from the 00-03 days.

What really was so amazing about the 2017 team? Nobody actually thought they were even the 10th best team in the country when they were 10-0 and ranked #2. And we saw what happened at the end of the year, starting with a loss to 4-7 Pitt. And the 2018 and 2019 seasons have shown that rather than a precursor to better things, 2017 was a road to absolutely nothing.

To put things in perspective, I’d favor the 2004 and 2005 Miami teams over the 2017 teams by about a TD. And if you look rationally at the game by game results you’d realize I’m correct.

Yeah, ND game, whatever. Well, guess what, that was one game out of 13 that year. That year had a number of average to below average games, starting with the 28 point win over Bethune Cookman.
Richt had the most success out of anyone that came before him and after him.

10 win season
ACC costal champs
Orange bowl birth
Wins over FSU and 11 Notre Dame(this is a final ranking).

Nobody has done what Richt has done since Coker was fired.

Richt had the most success out of anyone that came before him and after him.

10 win season
ACC costal champs
Orange bowl birth
Wins over FSU and 11 Notre Dame(this is a final ranking).

Nobody has done what Richt has done since Coker was fired.

FSU was 7-6 that year. Who cares? Randy Shannon actually beat a pair of 7-6 FSU teams in 2007 and 2009. And neither of those wins were accomplished in the last 10 seconds like the 2017 FSU win was.

Advertisement
FSU was 7-6 that year. Who cares? Randy Shannon actually beat a pair of 7-6 FSU teams in 2007 and 2009. And neither of those wins were accomplished in the last 10 seconds like the 2017 FSU win was.
It's always a good thing to beat your rival.

The only one that didn’t age well is richt. But I stand by my opinion that if richt is still falling plays with his son as the QB coach and panda and patke running the defense we are 6-6 or worse. With a worse recruiting class. But that’s just my opinion. Now if richt hired a real OC QB coach and DC then I think we’re solid but still probably don’t win the coastal because Jarren leaves in the portal and Kosi ain’t it.

Really makes you think who the next coaching hire would have been though. Who does Diaz try to poach? And if UNC comes and gets Searles you have 2 spots open. Plus you'd of had Hartley out there burning up the recruiting trail. I'm not saying they would have been better, but it gets your mind wondering what the staff would have looked like. I think they don't play as sloppy and beat Florida. I think Patke does better than Baker.

Advertisement
Butch would be replaced by Coker, would you have said Fire Butch #fromchampstochumps?

Coker would be replaced by Shannon, would you have said fire Coker?

Shannon would be replaced be Golden, would you have said fire Shannon?

Golden would be replaced by Richt, would you have said Fire Golden?

Richt would be replaced by Diaz, would you have said Fire Richt?

It seems like the school does not know how to hire coaches to meet our expectations. (Regardless of the AD) How many of you expect another bad coach after Diaz is fired?
Yes I’d say fire Golden a million times over for Richt. Idk how someone can ask this question seriously. Richt is a legit coach

Some of the hires weren't bad. Golden and Richt werent bad hires but both didnt feel enough internal pressure to put the school first over hiring friends/family.

Golden owes the fact that he hasnt had another HC gig to his boy D'onofrio. Richt put Richt Jr in a position he wasnt ready for and thought his plays from the 80s were ok today. At some P5 school, both these guys wouldnt have felt as comfortable keeping guys like that around. I think if either way was half as ruthless to asst's as Saban is, they'd probably still be HCs.

Coker, Shannon, and even Butch, we a result of a school investing nickels and expecting dollars in return. UM hit it big finding coaches like Jimmy and we've been trying to strike oil ever since. When Diaz is done, I hope the BOT, Admin, AD, etc understand how much harder it is today to just find the next Urban Meyer. It's easier, and more fruitful, to just pay a proven HC and give him a budget so his asst's that doesnt force him to hire unproven guys.

This is why I think Mario, with quality asst's, is a homerun hire here. Hes a guy who will sell the program and recruit his *** off. What real, legit, OC/DC wouldn't want a coach that gets them all the groceries they need to cook?

Advertisement
Back