If we self-impose, DO IT NOW

You do it(I don't think they should do it at all) so you don't have Miami players wearing ACC coastal division champion t-shirts after the game only to be told that they can't play in the gane the following day.

[Assuming we are taking the bowl ban] I am not buying this, why have a team unmotivated against Duke?

It's not lying to the kids either, it is an "administrative decision" so it ain't on Al. Call a team meeting on Sunday, explain the situation and that is that.

So basically you want your cake and to eat it to, never mind what happens to the kids. Plenty who will be on the team next year. You don't want them playing in the title game, which would be their reward for being motivated and beating Duke. What do you care how they play?

You don't want the embarrassment as a fan of losing to Duke is pretty much what I'm reading.

Advertisement
We aren't good, but this is a golden opportunity. There are now 2 options:

1) Beat Duke go to the ACC Championship Game.
2) Lose to Duke, GT goes to the ACC Championship Game.

If option 2 happens, we can self impose after the game, so no reason worrying about that.

If Option 1 happens, we:

1) Win the Coastal for the first time.
2) Give Golden a huge recruiting tool.
3) Greatly improve our bowl chances.

On #3, if we win the Coastal, we can't fall past the Sun Bowl. But even more importantly, we are likely to end up in the Chik-fil-a or at worst the Champs Sports bowl. If we lose to FSU in the ACC Championship Game, we are 7-6. But who else are they going to take? Clemson and FSU will probably be BCS bound. So, then who? The only other bowl eligible teams are:

NC State, who is 6-5.
Duke, 6-6 (we are assuming we beat them).
GT, 6-6 after they lose to UGA.
Maybe VT if they beat UVA, 6-6

That's it. We will get a good bowl game, period, if we beat Duke.

So, don't self impose, beat Duke, go to Charlotte and a good bowl, at worst Champs Sports.
Or, lose to Duke, and you can self impose after. Nothing should be done this week.

LULZ

this looks familiar

We aren't good, but this is a golden opportunity. There are now 2 options:

1) Beat Duke go to the ACC Championship Game.
2) Lose to Duke, GT goes to the ACC Championship Game.

If option 2 happens, we can self impose after the game, so no reason worrying about that.

If Option 1 happens, we:

1) Win the Coastal for the first time.
2) Give Golden a huge recruiting tool.
3) Greatly improve our bowl chances.

On #3, if we win the Coastal, we can't fall past the Sun Bowl. But even more importantly, we are likely to end up in the Chik-fil-a or at worst the Champs Sports bowl. If we lose to FSU in the ACC Championship Game, we are 7-6. But who else are they going to take? Clemson and FSU will probably be BCS bound. So, then who? The only other bowl eligible teams are:

NC State, who is 6-5.
Duke, 6-6 (we are assuming we beat them).
GT, 6-6 after they lose to UGA.
Maybe VT if they beat UVA, 6-6

That's it. We will get a good bowl game, period, if we beat Duke.

So, don't self impose, beat Duke, go to Charlotte and a good bowl, at worst Champs Sports.
Or, lose to Duke, and you can self impose after. Nothing should be done this week.

LULZ

this looks familiar

v i s h n u would not approve of this.

You do it(I don't think they should do it at all) so you don't have Miami players wearing ACC coastal division champion t-shirts after the game only to be told that they can't play in the gane the following day.

[Assuming we are taking the bowl ban] I am not buying this, why have a team unmotivated against Duke? We should beat Duke period, I am not scared of them I just want the team focused. I believe a team with something to play for is more focused then a team without it. That is all.

It's not lying to the kids either, it is an "administrative decision" so it ain't on Al. Call a team meeting on Sunday, explain the situation and that is that.

So basically you want your cake and to eat it to, never mind what happens to the kids. Plenty who will be on the team next year. You don't want them playing in the title game, which would be their reward for being motivated and beating Duke. What do you care how they play?

You don't want the embarrassment as a fan of losing to Duke is pretty much what I'm reading.

What cake are you talking about? Am I *********ing to the idea of beating Duke?

What is going to happen to the kids?

I am undecided on the ban at this point but if the admin makes a decision, they make a decision. The staff doesn't have much say on the matter, so they explain to the kids to focus on next year.

PLEASE NOTE I AM UNDECIDED ON THE BAN. I am only saying it makes no sense to do it before Duke (given what we know).

[Assuming we are taking the bowl ban] I am not buying this, why have a team unmotivated against Duke? We should beat Duke period, I am not scared of them I just want the team focused. I believe a team with something to play for is more focused then a team without it. That is all.

What cake are you talking about? Am I *********ing to the idea of beating Duke?

What is going to happen to the kids?

I am undecided on the ban at this point but if the admin makes a decision, they make a decision. The staff doesn't have much say on the matter, so they explain to the kids to focus on next year.

PLEASE NOTE I AM UNDECIDED ON THE BAN. I am only saying it makes no sense to do it before Duke (given what we know).

If the administration is going to impose one no matter what happens in the Duke game they should do it now. Don't send the kids out there thinking they can win the division only to take it away from them afterwards. Thats the impact on the players.

As has been written in this thread, they can impose if the team loses to Duke if they think the chance of going to the ACC title game is worth risking the "scary wrath of the NCAA". No harm no foul.

Advertisement
We need to do the ban...I dont want to go to some second teir bowl anyway. Im liking what the other poster said....im a huge cane fan and loved the games not only when we were great we were dominating top teams. This ish is sicking. And we are in one of the worst conferences in the country. Take the ban and lessen the serious blow that we will most certainly get.

If the administration is going to impose one no matter what happens in the Duke game they should do it now. Don't send the kids out there thinking they can win the division only to take it away from them afterwards. Thats the impact on the players.

As has been written in this thread, they can impose if the team loses to Duke if they think the chance of going to the ACC title game is worth risking the "scary wrath of the NCAA". No harm no foul.

It would impact the players regardless. The damage is not any greater IMO tomorrow or after Duke.

I don't follow your last sentence. Please explain.

We need to do the ban...I dont want to go to some second teir bowl anyway. Im liking what the other poster said....im a huge cane fan and loved the games not only when we were great we were dominating top teams. This ish is sicking. And we are in one of the worst conferences in the country. Take the ban and lessen the serious blow that we will most certainly get.

This thread is about the timing of the ban. No whether we should take a ban.

My thought is that we won't self impose until the the season is over. I think there's no way we self impose while a shot at a BCS Bowl is still in play

Scenario 1 - Lose to Duke. Self impose
Scenario 2 - Beat Duke, lose to FSU. Self impose
Scenario 3 - Beat Duke & FSU. Go to the Orange Bowl and take a BCS payday

While #3 isn't likely, I don't see Miami making a decision until that's definitely off the table.

Advertisement
My thought is that we won't self impose until the the season is over. I think there's no way we self impose while a shot at a BCS Bowl is still in play

Scenario 1 - Lose to Duke. Self impose
Scenario 2 - Beat Duke, lose to FSU. Self impose
Scenario 3 - Beat Duke & FSU. Go to the Orange Bowl and take a BCS payday

While #3 isn't likely, I don't see Miami making a decision until that's definitely off the table.

First, this thread is about the timing, not whether we should do it.

Second, scenario 2 can't be done.

It would impact the players regardless. The damage is not any greater IMO tomorrow or after Duke.

You don't ***** with your players. Mike James comes off the field after beating Duke. He thinks he is playing FSU in the title game the following week. You don't take that away from him. You tell him now. It's right and its fair. If you don't understand how telling them after winning is more damaging than telling them beforehand, I'll stop this back and forth now.

You don't ***** with your players. Mike James comes off the field after beating Duke. He thinks he is playing FSU in the title game the following week. You don't take that away from him. You tell him now. It's right and its fair. If you don't understand how telling them after winning is more damaging than telling them beforehand then I'll stop this back and forth.

Listen, no one wants to ***** with the players.

I love Mike James and why he isn't the most talented player he is a hardworker and a great team player. But no damage would be done to Mike James, if next week is his last game, then next week is his last game EVER. Is he going to play harder because it is his last game, I doubt it because he always gives it his all. He is graduating and moving on.

I understand your point, I just disagree with you. These are opinions and people have different ones.

My big view is not related to focus or "********" the team. I am not sold on taking the ban (let's not debate this because not the point of the tread), so I rather delay (the decision) it a week to see if the NCAA brings an NOA. That is why I want to wait.

Advertisement
IMO, there is no chance that they wait until after the Duke game to announce a self imposed bowl ban. If they are going to do it we'll likely know by tomorrow.

Why would've even consider self imposing? We already did our bowl ban. That should be enough.

We actually don't have a clue what we're considering, we just know how the media feels.

But good point and we know already no school has ever self-imposed a second ban.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back