If we had a new Defense Coordinator

I proposed this question to my friends, all die hard hurricanes, if Al Golden hired a new Defense of Coordinator with an entire different defensive scheme who was allowed to run their system, would you still be OK with Al being the Miami hurricanes Head football Coach?

I personally think he's capable of being a good HC, just needs to change this idea that his scheme works down here...

What do you think?

Maybe, because no matter what people say, he can recruit. He just needs to get coordinators that know what their doing.

Advertisement
Absolutely not. He's a natural coward and his timid demeanor trickles down and infects the team. He isn't cutthroat enough to succeed at a real program.

He asked people to applaud him for losing by 17 points to Nebraska in his 4th season. That's not the kind of guy capable of running a successful program at the highest level. The 3rd down declined penalty in that game is a perfect example of his attitude. He conceded a field goal out of fear. His team's play so slow because they are programmed to worry about making mistakes.

Yards, big plays, blown assignments, etc -- everything scares this guy. I'm convinced he asks Dorito to check under his bed at night before he goes to sleep.

All of this. There is 0% chance that Al could take us to the promised land no matter who the coordinators are.

In addition, the fact that he remains defensive and committed to this scheme is revealing about his character. It's not just about the defense. It tells me that he's a guy who is either too stupid or too stubborn to make needed changes. That's who he is. Why would we want a guy like that running our entire team? As head coach you have to make important and tough decisions in game, preparing for the game, in practice, managing your coaches, the list is endless. We need a head coach who is competent and shrewd. Al is passive, he's stubborn, and he may be completely incompetent as well.

I proposed this question to my friends, all die hard hurricanes, if Al Golden hired a new Defense of Coordinator with an entire different defensive scheme who was allowed to run their system, would you still be OK with Al being the Miami hurricanes Head football Coach?

I personally think he's capable of being a good HC, just needs to change this idea that his scheme works down here...

What do you think?

Why do u think he's capable of being a good HC?

I think he's a really good recruiter and I just really feel he needs "nerds" as the X's and O's guy's that understand the type of players we have on our team..

But again I really don't know much, I grew up playing golf and soccer.. Just figured there are plenty of people on this board that have more insight and knowledge then I do..

What do you think?

I think he's a really good recruiter and I just really feel he needs "nerds" as the X's and O's guy's that understand the type of players we have on our team..

But again I really don't know much, I grew up playing golf and soccer.. Just figured there are plenty of people on this board that have more insight and knowledge then I do..

Don't sell yourself short. Todd Haley has managed to get multiple jobs with that same resume.

What do you think?

Don't sell yourself short. Todd Haley has managed to get multiple jobs with that same resume.

Valid Point lol

Advertisement
He had his chance in the off season and didn't take it. In this scenario he wold have wasted a year because he was too attached to his buddy to the detriment of the program and the kids that signed up to play for him. Someone like that should not be leading this program.

Its time to clean house and bring in a whole new competent staff.

If Goldie fired his buff tomorrow I'd give him till the end of the season.

But he won't, and Blake won't demand it.

So, OFF WITH ALL THEIR HEADS.

What do you think?

My concern though is I've realized he's an ultra conservative person. I mean to the point where it's unhealthy. That trickles down to the players and the program in general.

I'm not saying I'd be for or against a mid-season firing of a coordinator but are there actual instances in which a dramatic difference was made by the change that season? The last prominent instance I can remember is Mack Brown booting Manny Diaz (Cam Cameron in the NFL being fired by Baltimore is the only dramatically positive instance I can think of). Aside from the "friends till the end" relationship that Alfred has with Marky, those Texas kind of failures and seemingly last ditch efforts to save your job probably would prevent an obviously over cautious Golden from ever making that type of move. At best, a Kehoe type corch will get the boot after this season as a sacrificial lamb.

Advertisement
This is Al Golden's defense. Not just Mark D'Onofrio's. This is the defense Al wants out there. Getting a new DC, while a good idea, will not change the philosophy of the defense. Why not? Because it is what Al wants. I am not sure how to be any ******* clearer. Removing Donofrio will not change how our defense plays. Al Golden will run this defense until he is no longer the coach at the University of Miami.

Al Golden will run this defense until he is no longer the coach at the University of Miami.
Al Golden will run this defense until he is no longer the coach at the University of Miami.

Stop kidding yourselves. With that man in charge this is what you are going to get every year.

What do you think?

Here are some facts about Golden:

1. He's never won 10 or more games

2. He's never won his conference

3. He's never won a bowl game

4. He's never played in January

5. He's never beat FSU

As far as recruiting goes, I could list 10-15 kids from S FL that are playing elsewhere that he missed on that could be making an impact on this team. Golden gets way too much credit for being a good recruiter.

Dude literally said "wow, look at how close we were to winning, in that environment." He's not Miami. He must go. Everything he says is garbage. You can see their "let's jump in a circle" thing before every 4th quarter, it's staged, nobody is truly excited as they proceed to get decimated immediately after. Golden is garbage, not just the DC or scheme.

What do you think?

Here are some facts about Golden:

1. He's never won 10 or more games

2. He's never won his conference

3. He's never won a bowl game

4. He's never played in January

5. He's never beat FSU

As far as recruiting goes, I could list 10-15 kids from S FL that are playing elsewhere that he missed on that could be making an impact on this team. Golden gets way too much credit for being a good recruiter.

All are facts that support he sucks as a HC, the only thing i disagree is with the South Florida Kids and recruiting... Whether we want to agree on this or not, the NCAA investigation has hurt him every single year he has recruited, he can only get better... I also am a firm believer that some kids just want to leave because of many different variables...

Advertisement
He should have fired him last year at the latest and brought in someone with a new scheme. He chose to live with coach d and it's going to cost him his job.

No, he could've done this at the end of last season. Now it's too late and speaks of desperation.

Would I be happy? NO!!!

However I am a Canes fan so I still support the team and would give the situation a chance. I would judge the first year on formations regardless if they worked and I would judge the second year on the results.

I predicted 8-5 this year I awfully scared we won't get it. I wasn't never expecting a miracles this season but said I would judge the season on Kaaya's and the defense's improvement. However even if the defense improves to around 50 in the rankings after the Nebraska showing I could care less. To not stack the box in the second half when Nebraska was running every play since the 2nd QTR is unacceptable. They literally gave then players no chance to win. Playing defense like Navy at UM you deserve to be toast and never coach CFB again.

Advertisement
No, he could've done this at the end of last season. Now it's too late and speaks of desperation.

Exactly . This guy is more loyal to his boyfriend/ scheme than the program he's coaching . That's why he tried slime under the door to Psu. The writing was on the wall and he knew it.

Absolutely not. He's a natural coward and his timid demeanor trickles down and infects the team. He isn't cutthroat enough to succeed at a real program.

He asked people to applaud him for losing by 17 points to Nebraska in his 4th season. That's not the kind of guy capable of running a successful program at the highest level. The 3rd down declined penalty in that game is a perfect example of his attitude. He conceded a field goal out of fear. His team's play so slow because they are programmed to worry about making mistakes.

Yards, big plays, blown assignments, etc -- everything scares this guy. I'm convinced he asks Dorito to check under his bed at night before he goes to sleep.

This. He's a scumbag who tried that ****ed up our recruiting class and held us hostage while he begged for the PSU job. Now he sits there and blatantly lies to everyone and treats people like they are retarded. He coaches scared, he is even talking scared now. He's absolutely done as a head coach. It will take him some time to bounce back from this mental beat down.

Would Golden fire himself as the special teams coordinator also?

don't kid yourself. the premise of the question is false. this is Golden's defense; he's clearly stubborn as ****. So he's not going to let somebody else come in here and implement a different defense.

Would I be happy? NO!!!

However I am a Canes fan so I still support the team and would give the situation a chance. I would judge the first year on formations regardless if they worked and I would judge the second year on the results.

I predicted 8-5 this year I awfully scared we won't get it. I wasn't never expecting a miracles this season but said I would judge the season on Kaaya's and the defense's improvement. However even if the defense improves to around 50 in the rankings after the Nebraska showing I could care less. To not stack the box in the second half when Nebraska was running every play since the 2nd QTR is unacceptable. They literally gave then players no chance to win. Playing defense like Navy at UM you deserve to be toast and never coach CFB again.

don't impugne Navy. Nieumatolo is far more aggressive than we are.

Advertisement
Back