If we had a new Defense Coordinator

Confirmao

Recruit
I proposed this question to my friends, all die hard hurricanes, if Al Golden hired a new Defense of Coordinator with an entire different defensive scheme who was allowed to run their system, would you still be OK with Al being the Miami hurricanes Head football Coach?

I personally think he's capable of being a good HC, just needs to change this idea that his scheme works down here...

What do you think?

Advertisement
I proposed this question to my friends, all die hard hurricanes, if Al Golden hired a new Defense of Coordinator with an entire different defensive scheme who was allowed to run their system, would you still be OK with Al being the Miami hurricanes Head football Coach?

I personally think he's capable of being a good HC, just needs to change this idea that his scheme works down here...

What do you think?
Trick question. He's not going to do that, IMO.

But, as long as we're dreaming, I'll play. The answer is - it depends on who he hired and what they wanted to implement.

If u asked this question two years ago or after the VT or Duke game last year I would say yes.

But at Temple he had great defenses compared to his competition and he still couldn't beat quality opponents.

If he fired DNo I would feel better in the short term because I want blood, but ultimately its too late to make a decision that was warranted a year ago

Advertisement
I would give him more time, if he did that. I like the progress Coley has made with the offense. I would like a whole new defensive staff, and i would also like a new o-line coach.

Yes Al can remain HC if hired Wisconsin DC Dave Aranda an gave Aranda autonomy to run the defense. An also hired Kevin Patrck as Dline coach then moved Hurley Brown to DB coach, Aranda likes to coach Line backers personally.

I would also replace James Coley with Ken Dorsey. That would give the team two exceptional X's and O's coordinators, whom are also very good teachers. With this change in coaching staff UM would be a top 10 over night.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Can't see Alfraud handing over the defensive "keys" to another driver. Not when he prides himself on defense (lulz)....and Al has too much pride to openly admit his way has failed.

yes BECAUSE Donna would NOT be the president when the new coach is hired.
Also, because the recruiting class would be the same or better.

Advertisement
in theory i would. i just highly doubt golden would be humble enough to do that. hes too committed to our defense and our defensive staff. but if our offense carried us to enough wins and our defense was just THAT atrocious that he had no choice, and he hired a new DC and let him do his thing, i may be ok with that. i said this in a different thread, but what scares me most is firing golden and hiring another failure and wasting another 5 years. i think golden has a good enough personality, PR sense, etc to be the face of our program if he had a killer staff and just let them do their thing. but i guess you have to weigh the odds of that happening vs. the odds of our administration actually making a good hire. either way, i dont like our chances...lets just hope kaaya turns out to be so effing good that we can win despite our coaching deficiencies. at the end of the day i ultimately want a whole new staff with the off chance we hire an elite HC, because we have probably already seen the goldens ceiling

Absolutely not. He's a natural coward and his timid demeanor trickles down and infects the team. He isn't cutthroat enough to succeed at a real program.

He asked people to applaud him for losing by 17 points to Nebraska in his 4th season. That's not the kind of guy capable of running a successful program at the highest level. The 3rd down declined penalty in that game is a perfect example of his attitude. He conceded a field goal out of fear. His team's play so slow because they are programmed to worry about making mistakes.

Yards, big plays, blown assignments, etc -- everything scares this guy. I'm convinced he asks Dorito to check under his bed at night before he goes to sleep.

Advertisement

What do you think?

Short answer: Depends.

Depends on what? Results.

My man Butch changed coordinators so it would be disingenuous on my part not to afford the same possibility to Golden.

My fear is it would simply prolong the suffering.

The last decade has demonstrated the primary, secondary and tertiary impact of allowing an under-performing head coach to buy time via assistant coach carousel.

My ultimate takeaway remains: Bring Back Butch.

Last edited:
I agree I dont see him allowing another person come and run his own scheme, that would mean he admitted failure in his scheme... But would I think if he fails here, I find it hard for him to get a good job, so it becomes personal for him.

He might get forced to make this decision even tho a good HC would have already pulled the trigger after year 3...

Advertisement
The defense IS Golden's scheme. It was his defensive scheme that he ran at UVA as D Coordinator, it was his defensive scheme that he implemented at Temple when he was hired as DC (and brought D'Onofrio, his buddy, in to make sure his exact scheme was implemented) and the defensive scheme is the reason he was hired here at the U.

If HIS defensive scheme isn't working, and it's the reason that he is here, why keep him and make him hire a new DC? Why not cut Al loose if it's not working and get new blood?

Too late now..... The only people I want left from this staff is Coley Carrol Hurlie Barrow..... Baez & Sands still doing there jobs.... I'd find something for ice maybe QB corch.... and The rest I don't know what Narduzzi would want to do with but I'd be cool with it cause I know our defense is going to be confident mean nasty and never out of position

Golden has invested too much time and energy into this scheme. Even if he fired No D, he would, in all likelihood, go with someone who shares his defensive principles. He'll give that person all the autonomy he wants as long as the principles are similar. When you couple that with the way UM does business (go cheap), he would probably hire a first-time DC and we would have to wait for him to grow into that position (see Coley). So with that said, all though I believe consistency is extremely important, the baby may just have to be thrown out with the bath water.

What do you think?

Why do u think he's capable of being a good HC?

Advertisement
Back